The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A cheap show but workable. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Deck
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire man who lives in Cardiff.
53 Posts

Profile of Mr Deck
I started do Magic shows back I the 80’s during a very bad economic times. Money was short and jobs where few in the U.K. With no internet I relied on a small magic shop in Sheffield my home town however not being recognised as a magician it was hard to buy good magic.

In time the shop owners got to know me and I built up a nice little show. However getting any type of paid work was hard no one had money to spend. I started doing Magic for free at the local nursery for children 5 and under at Christmas and on special days when they requested me.

I made my own props and used an old projector screen the type you would have used for the old 8mm projectors it was portable and easy to carry. I would have a table behind the screen with puppets on and during the performance slip my hand behind the screen and while talking to the children bring a puppet above the screen, they would scream and shout the Dog was there and when I looked it would not be there. I always told the children I could not do Magic that they had to help me. I had a bundle of old remote controls form Televisions I had been collecting, the children use to hold them and when the magic went wrong they would press the button on the remote.

These shows would last up to 45 minutes the nursery staff where amazed at times how I could hold the attention of the children for so long.

Maybe we are hitting hard times again with prices raising and the economic climate not looking that good I thought I would share my experiences from the 80’s to just say a good show need not be expensive.

Take care all
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
That's amazing!

I love the idea of giving each kid a remote to interact with!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!

-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I agree with the premise of an inexpensive show. I have a stand-up show that literally only cost about $30 to create!
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Great post Mr Deck!

The TV Remote thing is brilliant!

Yup, great Magic need not be expensive...

But expensive Magic need to be great!

I wish they always were...

Sigh...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
deputata
View Profile
New user
Bulgaria
34 Posts

Profile of deputata
Wow,this is amazing.This is a very good advice to all the magicians that have financial problems.
ailuromaniac
View Profile
New user
UK
2 Posts

Profile of ailuromaniac
Love the story Deck. How often are we taught that magic does not have to be about money?
It is about wonder.
As we get older, we risk losing the sense of wonder.
Children always have it.
Thank you very much for sharing.........
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A cheap show but workable. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL