The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Attack of the Bag! DVD by Craig Petty (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Attack of the Bag! DVD – Craig Petty
Available from World Magic Shop (www.worldmagicshop.co.uk) - £15.00/approx. $30

Go ahead. Overlook this DVD because it uses a “kid’s magic prop”. Mike Gallo, Michael Skinner and Ed Marlo all published routines using the ball vase, so those publications should probably be overlooked too. Unfortunately, for the closed-minded in magic, they miss some great magic by doing so. So too would be the case if you were to foolishly overlook “Attack of the Bag!”. On this DVD with four or five fairly basic coin sleights and a mesh coin bag, Craig Petty teaches some fantastic routines that are commercial, visual and mind-blowing. However, if your working repertoire is already too full of commercial, visual, mind-blowing, easy-to-do magic, you should probably read no further, not buy this DVD and stop doing magic. Seriously.

With this DVD, Craig gives you no excuse not to jump right into the routines. The man has generously included not one, but TWO (count’em!) mesh coin bags. He really couldn’t have made it any easier for you to get started right away, even if he had hopped on a plane and showed up at your door for some personal one-on-one mesh coin bag instruction. It’s so much quicker just to pop the DVD into the player. And when I did, I was treated to not one, but TWO (count ‘em!) comedy introductions! He really couldn’t have made it any funnier if he hopped on a plane and showed up at your door for some personal stand-up comedy in your living room. It’s so much quicker just to pop the DVD into the player.

Before I jump into this review, for anyone who doesn’t know what a mesh coin bag is (and still cannot figure out how to use that dang Google thingy), it’s a small square bag, roughly the 4 inches by 4 inches, and it has a mesh front so that everything in the bag can supposedly be seen. I can’t say enough about the routines on this DVD, but for your sake, I will turn down the verbosity long enough to write this review. Here’s a brief description of the routines:

-Chop Bag: At its core, this is a chop cup routine complete with a final load using the mesh coin bag. A half dollar is produced. It is repeatedly vanished at the fingertips, only to reappear in the bag. In the end, the half dollar is tossed out of the bag and VISUALLY grows to a 3” jumbo half dollar!

Why I love it—I’ve always wanted to do a chop cup routine strolling but for a number of reasons, didn’t. I didn’t want to carry around a chop cup and final loads (i.e. lemons) and deal with jacket bulges. Then there’s the table issue. I know there are some great chop cup routines that are done in the hands (Martin Sanderson has an excellent one), but I still never took the plunge and put one into my strolling repertoire. With Chop Bag, you can do just that. The coin bag and the jumbo half take up very little pocket space, and they are farily flat. Putting the mesh coin bag in their outstretched hand works just as well. Did I mention instant reset? Instant Reset.

-Piggy Bank: The empty bag is show and placed mesh side down on the table. You reach into the air, drop an invisible coin onto the bag, turn the bag over and reveal a coin. Dump the coin out. This is done three times.

Why I love it—Eh. Don’t get me wrong. I like this one, but after the first routine, Chop Bag, this one didn’t do much for me. Yes, it’s magical, but I feel it lacks a final punch. I felt like after the third coin is produced we were only halfway through the routine…but then it ends. However, stay tuned…

-Coins in Cartoon Motion: Three coins are emptied from the bag. The bag is placed mesh side down on the table. You talk about an imaginary/cartoon hole on the back of the bag. All three coins are dropped one at a time into this cartoon hole and vanish instantly. The second vanish fooled my BADLY…TWICE! The coins are reproduced from the hole one at a time. The routine is instantly repeated. (This is where I was fooled with the second vanish for the second time). The coins are then each cleanly reproduced at the end in a different way: one on top of the bag, one underneath the bag, and one inside the bag!

Why I love it—It’s so devilishly clever! There are several principles at work here. There’s a bit of sleight of hand, but this is a great routine. And the way the routine begins is the exact way the previous routine ENDS! Put them together and you have a kick butt routine beginning to end that instantly resets! It does require a table, and a soft surface is ideal.

-Strange Exchange: This is basically a coins across routine using two mesh coin bags. Four coins fly invisibly one at a time from one bag to the other.

Why I love it—Well, this routine didn’t really do it for me. I’m not sure that the mesh coin bag is really suited for coins across. Some may argue it’s cleaner because a coin can be show indisputably in a bag one moment and a moment later, it has jumped to the other. However a coins across only using the hands, in my opinion, is far stronger. I just don’t get why the coins are dumped out to show one has vanished, only to be placed right back into the bag. But that’s the way it has to be for this routine. Here’s a solution for you: get out your gravity flipper and do one of the awesome coins across routines from Craig’s Flipped Out DVD. Just as clean, only hands are used. And on that DVD, Empowerment is a coins across in the spectators hands. But that’s not what this review is about. Try to stay focused…

-Recorded Delivery: This is a transposition of two signed coins. One spectator holds onto their coin and while you hold onto the other. Then they change places!

Why I love it—Because spectators Ethan and Russell subtlety demonstrate the rarely seen face transposition! Their faces switch places and their bodies do not! Bet ya didn’t see that coming, did ya? As for the trick, it’s really a neat one. The coin bag is only used for a moment, but it accomplishes something super sneaky! This could be done strolling, and it’s an instant reset!

-Wild Thing: Four coins are emptied from the bag: 3 English coins and 1 American coin. The bag is placed on the table with mesh side up. You tap one of the English coins against the American coin and then toss the English coin into the mesh bag. Because of the mesh face up on the table, you see the coin instantly change into an American coin. You dump the coin out into your hand and drop it into a coffee mug. You repeat this with the two other English coins. Finally, snap your fingers, dump out the coins from the mug to show they have all changed back to English coins.

Why I love it—This is a cool application of the mesh coin bag. To use it as a visual change like this is great! It does require a table and possibly some spectator management if they get too curious about your coffee mug.

-Money in the Bag: Three coins vanish one at a time from your hand and appear in the bag that is sitting mesh side down on the table. Each time the coin is clearly shown in the bag. Once all three have flown invisibly to the bag, one coin then disappears from the bag, only to reappear in your previously empty hand. This is repeated with the second coin. The final coin disappears from the bag and flies into a spectator’s hand.

Why I love it—This is a fairly straight forward routine. I much prefer it to Strange Exchange. This could easily be routined to not require a table and instead use a spectator’s hand. Instant reset as well, and you know how much I love that!

-Scofield Coins: Three coins are pushed, one at a time, invisibly through the back of the mesh bag, which is laying, mesh side down on a table. Very direct.

Why I love it—Because anyone that is a fan of Prison Break, is a fan of mine. Wait, that’s not right…Because anyone that likes Prison Break, likes me. But as for the routine, this may be one of the cleverest routine on the DVD. Where most routines on the disc require an extra coin, this one does not. This affords a certain degree of cleanness (or is it cleanliness?). There’s some really cool thinking going on with this routine.

-Multiple Selections: This is basically two routines in one. In the first routine, you tell the spectator you are going to do a trick with something invisible and something you can’t see. You explain the difference by saying the thing you can’t see is inside of the bag. Without showing the contents of the mesh coin bag, you set it mesh side down against the table. You then show four different invisible coins. The spectator selects one and then you turn the bag around to show that the chosen coin is in your bag. But there’s a sticker on it and written on the sticker is the letter “P”. It’s at this point where you transition into the second routine. You explain the “P” stands for “prediction”. Another spectator chooses one of the five ESP symbols and says it aloud. You dump out the coin to show that on the other side of the coin is the named symbol!

Why I love it—This is a clever routine. I like the way the two segments blend together. I think that I would probably eliminate the stickers and write directly on the coin with a permanent marker. This would make the coin more easily identifiable during the first phase when the “P” is discovered. Also, in the routine Craig simply recites the ESP symbols for the spectator. I’m not certain that the majority of spectators would know the symbols enough to visualize them all. I think that the routine could be strengthened by having 5 ESP cards that you may bring out. Putting the cards away once the selection is made would also lend itself to the underhandedness that must take place near the end of the routine. Even without those personal preference adjustments, this is a killer mental magic routine! And with a mesh coin bag! Who would thunk it? Craig, that’s who.

On my own, I could probably release a mesh coin bag DVD. It would have one routine. I’d display a coin in the bag. Turn it over and dump the coin into my hand and the coin would vanish. Ta da! Luckily for the magic community, we have Craig Petty. On this out-of-the-box thinking DVD, he performs a chop cup routine, a coins across, a portable hole of sorts, transpositions, vanishes, productions and mental magic ALL WITH A MESH COIN BAG! It just goes to show all of the cool stuff you can come up with by playing around with a “kid’s magic prop”. That said, look for my upcoming DVD on the many variations of “Blonde in the Bathtub” coming out this fall!

Attack of the Bag! DVD – Highly recommended!

Thanks,
-AH
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks for the review Adam, I noticed that World Magic Shop gives it away for FREE if you buy their Mirage Coin Set.

Also bought the Split Happens DVD with the £2 version split coin, so good to be true. Let us know if you are gonna get the Return Of The Bag too!

Cheers,
Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Bob,

Just a matter of time. In my opinion Craig and World's Magic Shop put out such quality material, you can't go wrong!

-AH
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1371 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Adam, Your reviews are soooooooooooo funny.

Thanks so much for the great review. I am glad you liked the DVD. I feel that Attack has been somewhat overlooked by some people which is a shame as the material on there is really strong. Plus as you say most of the routines can be done in the hands and have an instant reset. I know that whenever I demo it at a convention etc it sells every time. Plus all the props (plus a spare) and the DVD for $30 I think is one of the best deals in magic. Although as you said Bob you can get it free at the moment if you buy Mirage.

Anyway thanks for the review (and for your interest Bob). If you do get the DVD Bob let me know what you think and when you work the routines Adam let me know how they go for you

Thanks guys

Craig
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
To be honest, it really gives me a headache to choose between The Attack Of The Bag DVD and the Flipped Out DVD as for the bonus item.

Theoretically, The Attack Of the Bag seems like a bargain as it comes with 2 bags (too bad, too tempting). I shall order my Mirage coin set as soon as I get enough £££, hopefully next month!
Best Regards,

Bob
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
BTW Adam, you seem became a fan of World Magic Shop and Craig Petty since you bought the Split happens DVD. Hehe, same here mate!

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Craig,

I'm glad you enjoyed the review and found it funny. I just try to write an honest review and allow my thoughts on the product and my personality show through. I agree about it being overlooked. And it is a shame. While my comparison to the ball vase may be considered bold, I do feel that it does hold true. Because some may feel the mesh coin bag is a beginner's prop, they miss out on some amazing magic.

Bob,
I own tons and tons of magic. Recently I've been on a Craig Petty kick because the stuff is so solid and commercial. Very recently, I've fallen in love with coin magic and I feel that Craig brings a fresh approach.

Also, don't be so quick to decide not to get Flipped Out. That was actually my first experience with any of Craig's material and it's actually my favorite! If you own a gravity flipper, you can't afford not to get that dvd. If you don't have one yet, get the dvd because you can't afford to be without this amazing coin gaff!

-AH
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Cheers Adam,

So you recommand Flipped Out rather than Attack Of the Bag? I know both are excellent but different and it's hard to decide.

Cheers,
Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Bob,

At this point, there is more material off of Flipped Out that I am doing than from Attack of the Bag. That said, I've had Flipped Out longer and have spent more time with the routines.

Even though they both involve coin magic, it's apples and oranges. If you don't have a gravity flipper, it's more economical to get Attack of the Bag because it comes with everything you need (apart from the coins). If you have a gravity flipper and are looking for some ultra-clean, visual coin magic, I say go for that.

-AH
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Cheers Adam,

Really sounds like Flipped Out is the one to go for. I don't already own a gravity flipper but will probably get one to go along side with my order. It's likely I will carry the flipper coin when I go out, just slide it into the coin purse with my shell gimmick.

Cheers,
Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
Excellent review Adam. I completely agree that Craig's DVD is a good one that's filled with first rate material. My favorite was the chop bag routine because it followed the traditional plot of a chop cup but with coins.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Craig has on his second DVD.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Wayne!

Great to hear from you! Totally agree about the Chop Bag routine. My favorite from the disc!

I heard you had an eventful trip back from Louisville.

I hope things are going well.

-AH
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Adam:

Greetings to you as well.

Your reviews of Craig's DVDs are in-depth and insightful. It shows that you work in the real world.

From your experience, how are you introducing the coin bag to laymen? I tried out "chop bag" for a weekend and when I brought out the bag, I told spectators that it was a laundry bag from Barbie's (the doll) Dream House that I swiped from my daughter. "She didn't know that I was using it tonight and probably has no idea what to do with Barbie's dirty clothes."

I know, it's a bit warped. But it was the best that I could come up with.

I got the idea from Craig's DVD because someone in his audience mentions that it looks like a tiny laundry bag.

-Wayne
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1371 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hello Everyone (and a big hello to Adam and Wayne)

I am really glad you guys are all enjoying Attack of the Bag. Regarding justification of the bag - here are a few ideas:

* A Cursed Pirate Purse where no matter how hard you try the last coin can never be taken out. On the bag of the bag put a large Skull and Crossbones and this looks really good

* A New Style Money Bag - Stick a large dollar sign on the back of he bag and tell them that the Government are now using see through bags to package the money up from the mint. This way people can see what type pf coins are in any given bag and how many coins there are

* Tell them the Bag represents a mini football goal (sorry Soccer for you Americans!) and the mesh represents the netting at the back of the goal. The coin represents a ball and you tell the audience that you were really good at Soccer as a kid because you used to cheat using magic. You could even put a picture of a football on the back of the bag.

* On return of the bag I refer to the bag as a mini window and I tell the audience I am going to recreate David Blaine's Card Through Window using coins and a see through bag.

* A Home Made Matter Transporter that does the same thing as the transporters in Star Trek. Explain that they cannot see it but there are millions of pounds of electronics hidden inside the bag (tongue in cheek of course)

* A time machine capable of sending small objects back and forward in time

* A Dream Catcher which can catch dreams and make them really. Obviously you dream of money and at the end you want BIG MONEY

* A new style coin purse that is all the rage among shoppers in Beverley Hills. You can laugh but I have had women believe this in the past and ask if they are available in the UK!

* A Laundry Bag - This is really good if you produce a baby's sock at the end of the routine. You can perform the wild coin routine on the DVD turning dirty old coins new and shiny and then produce the sock.

* A device that check to see if you are sober or not. Ask them to breath in the bag and wait. They must be drunk because they keep seeing things that aren't there!

Hope this helps guys and thanks for all the feedback

Craig

P.S - Adam, did you get my email?
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Wayne,

To be honest, I've yet to "test drive" any of the Mesh Coin Bag material in the "real world", but I hope to soon. I think the ideas listed have a lot of potential.

Craig,

I've been noticing that many people are asking me that question about email, and I haven't gotten any of them. Either everyone I know has banded together to play a trick on me, pretending that they sent me email, or the emails are not getting to me. I'll have to look into it. In the meantime, I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
-AH
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
Another great review Adam.

I have seen Craig perform this material so much and it always kills. If you like this you will love the material off Return of the Bag. I perform the coins through table off this volume all the time.

Thanks again

Russell
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Adam:

I know how difficult it is to try and actually test drive new effects on real audiences. I already have material that I use all of the time and typically only try out new material with my restaurant regulars who want to see something new. New material, unless it's a self-worker, takes time to work up technically, as does the presentation.

While I tried out "Chop Bag" for a weekend, I already have a chop cup routine (Dan Tong's) that I've been using for a couple of years. The two effects are too close for me to replace chop cup. Also, the final load for my chop cup is lighter than lugging around a jumbo coin.

-Wayne
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I plan on taking Chop Bag for a spin this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wayne,
Your final load is lighter than a jumbo coin, what do you use? For me, one of the bigger selling points is the jumbo coin packs flat. In a pocket, there's no excess buldging, as there is with a ball or other round object.

-AH
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Cheers Adam,

We appreciate you thorough review, EVERYTIME!

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

<<Your final load is lighter than a jumbo coin, what do you use? For me, one of the bigger selling points is the jumbo coin packs flat. In a pocket, there's no excess buldging, as there is with a ball or other round object. >>

Adam:

For my chop cup routine, My final load is a soft, sponge-like baseball. They're designed for very young kids and are lightweight. There is some "bulge," but in my pleated pants it's not noticeable. Lately, I found a type that looks like a soccer ball. Since my chop cup routine is roughly themed "Egyptian," I produce the soccer ball at the end and say it was the "contribution of a soccer mummy." I know, it's bad. But it's so bad that it gets a groan and a laugh.

-Wayne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Attack of the Bag! DVD by Craig Petty (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL