The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » "Vintage" 1880 Bicycle Deck by Ellusionist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Wizards Machine
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of The Wizards Machine
Recently got a red vintage 1800 Bicycle deck.

My personal review:
At first glance they look real cool. But my one wish for the box is it should have a removable upc code. It kills the vintage vibe as soon as you see it. A hundred year old deck would not have a bar code. The outer plastic should have it and they should have used the old "air cushioned" verbiage on the bottom like real vintage decks had.

The cards themselves look terrific. Each one is different in it's weathered look. A lot of time was put into these and I have high praise for the artist.

But for me, here's where they fall way short; I think they are too thin. They felt thin to me as I was first handling them, and when I set them down on a flat table next to a normal deck of bikes and a box of Shadow Masters; the normal run in the mill bikes were about 3 cards fatter. (In other words, I could slide over 3 normal bikes down onto the 1800 to be even). The shadow masters were between 4 and 5 cards fatter. (All were 52 cards.) They also fan terribly. (At least mine do.)

I use these 1800's in a trick I call: 'The Dead Man's Hand', and it's a nice touch . (Takeoff on the Christ /Scarne trick, but I find the real Dead Man's Hand and expose the reason Wild Bill was killed!) For this trick, I'm glad I have one deck but quite frankly I won't be buying any more.
Demon5magic
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Demon5magic
Yes, the 1800 deck look awsome, but I hate how they fan.....
Kaarlo von Freymann
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
203 Posts

Profile of Kaarlo von Freymann
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 17:59, The Wizards Machine wrote:
....one wish for the box is it should have a removable upc code. It kills the vintage vibe as soon as you see it. A hundred year old deck would not have a bar code. The outer plastic should have it and they should have used the old "air cushioned" verbiage on the bottom like real vintage decks had.
The cards themselves look terrific. Each one is different in it's weathered look. A lot of time was put into these and I have high praise for the artist.....

ANNOYING AND UNNECESSARY CONS: you have to make all Svengali, Mirage, X-deck, rough and smooth etc. decks yourself, a tremendous job and to make them you need to buy over 40 decks and 10 spray cans. As buying them bulk gives you a good price compared to ready made special decks the price is not really the issue, BUT THE WORK!
And why can we not have marked ones as we can with normal Bic. decks ?
In addition to above quoted criticism you cannot show the card box as it looks shiny and new. I have had to cover them with matte self-adhesive foil, another time consuming job you could avoid if spare non-shiny correct boxes were available. It seems to me the creators stopped well before taking advantage of the potential this great idea created.

UNBEATEABLE PROS: these cards are fantastic. You of course found them on your grandfather’s attic. That is not only a charming story. It helps disguise the fact that you use different decks for different tricks. Everyone understands you may have found one or two, but not 16 decks like I have to be able to Svengali-force a lot of different cards. If after you do the X-deck you drop a non-gaffed double - “Oops, sorry, I am old and fumbling” - nobody suspects it is a double which they do if you use “new” cards. You can say, “they may be old and a little bit soiled, but as you can see, none of them has an X ! Please help the old man pick them up.” I cannot judge whether these cards are as good as normal ones for manipulation, if so so it does not matter for me. I have given away ALL other cards.

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
Kaarlo von Freymann - Helsinki- Finland
Ken Lam
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Lam
Terrible cards... despite the amount of details+efforts put on them.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
True, these cards are horrible for fanning. However, I found their thickness to be just right, and they work wonderfully because the doubles will never split.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Pat Perry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Pat Perry
To make the box look more real: Just remove the upc code with a sharp knife (just the first two layers). Then take a wet tea bag and rub the whole box (in&outside) with it. Dried out it looks old and fit's the cards.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Cards look old, but feel new. Terrible idea in my opinion, other then a novelty.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Those concerned about the box looking new. The cards are designed to look old, but anyone can obviously see that they are not old at all. Especially if the spectator is choosing a card. If you are worried that the box looks new, why are you not also concerned that the cards are in great shape for supposively being vintage. Isn't that just knit-picking?
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
"In addition to above quoted criticism you cannot show the card box as it looks shiny and new. I have had to cover them with matte self-adhesive foil, another time consuming job you could avoid if spare non-shiny correct boxes were available. It seems to me the creators stopped well before taking advantage of the potential this great idea created. "

I lightly sprayed the outside card box with Krylon 1311 Matte and it dulled the shiny box up easily and perfectly - no fuss or muss.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I just got one of these, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I've found the cards to handle well for fanning and spreading purposes. They're probably not great for most flourishes, but too much flourishing would break the illusion of their age anyway. It seems to me there is great potential for an evocative presentation with this deck; something that doesn't rely on a lot of card handling, and would allow for a story- Premonition springs to mind.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
A good, "Back In Time" card effect using the vintage cards. If you are one that is comfortable switching decks in mid performance, performing an effect where the regular bikes transform into a vintage deck, having mysteriously gone back into time.

The spectator chooses a card, places it back into the deck. (Use the name of some person who lived a hundred years ago. Someone who may have even been a magician, even make it up.)The deck is put back inside the case. You can then talk about how you will send the deck back into time to the period of the Great Cadabra who suffered a mysterious death, or anything you wish to say to enhance the effect. You send the cards back to him, (The Great Cadabra)and when they come back, the cards look old. All of them except one card, the card the spectator picked, which still looks new.

Just shooting out an idea I've been playing around with.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 01:19, Gospel Dan wrote:
A good, "Back In Time" card effect using the vintage cards. If you are one that is comfortable switching decks in mid performance, performing an effect where the regular bikes transform into a vintage deck, having mysteriously gone back into time.

The spectator chooses a card, places it back into the deck. (Use the name of some person who lived a hundred years ago. Someone who may have even been a magician, even make it up.)The deck is put back inside the case. You can then talk about how you will send the deck back into time to the period of the Great Cadabra who suffered a mysterious death, or anything you wish to say to enhance the effect. You send the cards back to him, (The Great Cadabra)and when they come back, the cards look old. All of them except one card, the card the spectator picked, which still looks new.

Just shooting out an idea I've been playing around with.

Impressive thinking!

I was just reading The Time Travel Manual by Josh Zandman (highly recommended, by the way), took a break and came across your concept. Love it!

Thank you.

P.S. Contributors to the above-mentioned eBook are Ted Karmilovich, Andrew Gerard, Kenton Knepper, Scott Grossberg, Nick Belleas, Sean Waters, George Frega, Greg Arce, Don Theo III – and Josh Zandman of course.

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 8:13am
Interesting comments.

I do find the cards a bit weak when it comes to fanning and spreading.

The barcode fix recommended by Pat is ingenious. It works perfectly! Thanks for that, Pat!

Has anyone come across an alternative vintage deck called “The Heirloom Deck” by Cardshark?

You can read about it here:
http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=127
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1578 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I think that they are pretty cool looking. I prefer the Bicycle Shadow Masters deck though.

Patrick
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Why would you want to fan these cards? Are you guys going to do split fans and back palms? These cards are great for story telling routines. As far as the box is concerned, throw the box away! I keep the cards wrapped in a white linen handkerchief tied with an old looking string. I also have an old looking finger ring from the pass that I use with the string (pendulum). These cards really create an impression if you treat them other than normal. Give then some history and a story and they will become magic on their own.

Ray
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
These cards are a delight to use for cartomancy readings. Instead of utilizing the case/box, I keep the deck wrapped in a small black silk and then place it inside a purple velvet pouch along with a small quartz crystal shard.

For readings, I will use this deck in conjunction with a pendulum constructed from a red silken cord & Haunted Key.

Prior to performing a reading, I will tell a story about the cards & key being the former property of an occult priest. I will then perform a short routine with the Haunted Key and the 1800 Deck before going into the reading.

The sitter is already completely engaged/immersed before the reading even begins!

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
If the cards feel too new, distress them.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
alexander2989
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of alexander2989
Don't worry if you use this deck 3 days, its gonna like its from hundred years ago, can not fan any more.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I soaped the deck, just for fun. Fans very well now...though I'm not so sure that is a good thing with *this* deck! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I soaped the deck, just for fun. Fans very well now...though I'm not so sure that is a good thing with *this* deck! Smile
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
130 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
I love the Vintage deck. I can do my faros without fumbling.
An excellent release!
andrea
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » "Vintage" 1880 Bicycle Deck by Ellusionist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL