The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Suggestions for a Chemistry based "wizard" school show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1252 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
A friend of mine teaches chemistry in a High School and sponsors a Wizard show every year for K through 2nd grade kids.

They work with "Slush Powder" and do some Color Changing beakers of liquid. Does anyone have any chemistry based or chemistry related magical looking demonstrations they can think of to help her out?

Bob
mskowronski
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mskowronski
Bob,

I did a chemistry magic show a few years ago at my school - it was a rousing success. The things that we did varied from the a more "science/chemical" based demonstration to straight magic items. Here is a listing of some of the items, as well as some others that we did not do, but we have used in our classrooms at one time or another. I can send more details if you want on some of the items, just let me know.

1. 3 cup monte, using slush powder
2. Instant snow - little powder in a glass, turns into an overflowing vessel of snow with the addition of water. This item can be ordered through educational innovations (search in google). I used a colorless goblet that was thicker at the bottom and was a bit chisled and therefore the powder could not be seen. I spoke about water becoming snow in the winter time....poured it in the glass and snow came pouring out.
3. Bounce & no bounce balls....can be used with a switch in a variety of ways.
4. We had a pumpkin barf foam out of its mouth - it is a little chemical reaction that you can do where foam is produced in the mouth and escaped through the orifices of the pumpkin face. I can send the details if you want - I do not know though the materials that she will have available to her for k-2 students.
5. Needle through the balloon - can talk about how objects are able to pass through others etc.. Can be thematically tied together nice with a wizard theme.
6. Again depending on supplies and accessibility of chemicals: sodium chlorate (small amount) heated over a burner inside of a test tube, becomes a liquid - throw a gummy bear in it - fireworks/flames come spewing out. Have to follow safety precautions of course....but it is exciting and magical.
7. Hydrogen balloon bombs...in a balloon, with a match - boom!
8. Same premise (almost) as the needle through a balloon - you can fill a ziploc bag full of water, close it and pass a pencil or pen through it - of course you have to leave it there. As soon as you pull it out, water escapes.
9. Have a branch examined - have a tip filled with mealworms - take the branch back - squeeze the branch, have the mealworms come out (dumped out of the tip).
10. Genie in a bottle - talk about the spirit inside, take the top off the bottle and smoke continues to come out - can find this demo online. Just do a search...genie in a bottle.

Just a few suggestions...
Mike

...I have more, but I do not know the the availability of chemicals and there are safety concerns, especially with the little ones.
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Here are a couple of ideas:

Bloody Hand Print- Kids love this stuff!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

In Lizzie's Hand
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

You could also include a routine using the Jastrow Illusion:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=100

Use the classic boomerang version or bananas or make your own.

The Incredible Shrinking and Growing Head is another great crowed pleaser and would fit a Science theme:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

Hope this is helpful.

Kevin
thescienceworks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of thescienceworks
Hi Bob,

I have two science shows I perform, and here are a couple not covered in the previous posts (although she may know them already):

Red-Cabbage Juice Color Change: Pour red cabbage juice into a variety of clear-ish liquids and watch them change colors (vineger, baking soda and water, club soda, lemon juics, soap powder and water, cream of tartar and water, tonic water; different acidic or basic solutions)

Self-Inflating Balloons: Put a small vial of vinegar and some baking soda in a balloon, tie the end. Lift up the balloon to shake it, un-cork the vial, and as the two mix carbon dioxide is created and blows up the balloon.

Volcano in the Hand: Mix 1/2 cup of vinegar with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Hold it in your hands for best effect.

Swimming Popcorn: A variation of the above effect, where popcorn seeds swim up and down in a vin./BS/water mixture

Rising Ice Cube: Lay a small lasso of string on an ice cube, sprinkle it with salt, wait ten seconds, and lift the ice cube with the string.

I have more, feel free to email me directly if she's interested.

-Steve
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Pharaohs serpent
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Also I just thought you could do oobleck or making custard bouncy balls
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
There's the barking dog reaction which produces unsurprisingly a bark and a massive flash of light
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryd......gdog.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Suggestions for a Chemistry based "wizard" school show. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL