The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Shot a Gun Into the Air... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but approximately how long would it take for bird shot, fired straight up from a 20-gauge shotgun, to fall back to earth?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Wait for it....wait for it....run!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I don't have the physics background to even attempt to answer that question, but just wanted to say that if you were to try this, you better have a very sturdy umbrella.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
About 14 seconds... depending of course on the size of the bird.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 10:05, ClintonMagus wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but approximately how long would it take for bird shot, fired straight up from a 20-gauge shotgun, to fall back to earth?

20G X NG/32X(A1/A32)+ 42 = 12.3 seconds, depending on present barometric pressure and current ground surface altitude. Unless the shotgun is made by Mannlicher-Carcano. Then the shot has magical properties.

Thanks in advance.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
WHOA! Andre beat me to the calculation. Of course, his answer is wrong....
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
And of course, due to the earths rotation, it will not fall in the same spot from which you shot it
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 10:58, Payne wrote:
And of course, due to the earths rotation, it will not fall in the same spot from which you shot it

Is that true? I could see that for a rifle shot, but a shotgun doesn't go as far or as fast.

It's not uncommon for duck hunters in a blind to get "rained" on by their own shot. I'd say it takes about 8 seconds to come down once it's been shot.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Not "A bird, shot" but "bird shot" (as opposed to "buckshot" or "bird snot"). Of course, there is very little chance of confusing this had I used "buckshot"... Smile

To rephrase the question: "If a shotgun loaded with bird shot is fired into the air on a perfectly calm day, at an angle perpendicular to the earth's surface, with nothing to impede its progress rising or falling, ignoring the spread of the pellets, and with the rotation of the earth considered negligible, approximately how long from the time the gun is fired will it take for the pellets to land on the ground at the spot from which the gun was fired?"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
About 8 seconds or so.

If you know any duck hunters ask them. Like I said above, duck and pheasant hunters get rained on with their own pellets or other people pellets. It's not uncommon at all. Sit in blind long enough to get an overhead shot, and you'll see for yourself. And it won't kill you.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm not a hunter, but I have been in a dove blind with my dad and a friend of his who once did this. I was so concerned for my safety from the falling shot (or snot) that I neglected to count...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
It happens, but by the time it comes down it's usually so spread out that you'll probably get hit with one or maybe two pellets. Certainly not the full load. It feels like a little piece of hail at worst. If you have a hat or coat on, you probably won't even feel it but you might see it bounce off of you or hear it hit.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 11:17, ClintonMagus wrote:
Not "A bird, shot" but "bird shot" (as opposed to "buckshot" or "bird snot"). Of course, there is very little chance of confusing this had I used "buckshot"... Smile

To rephrase the question: "If a shotgun loaded with bird shot is fired into the air on a perfectly calm day, at an angle perpendicular to the earth's surface, with nothing to impede its progress rising or falling, ignoring the spread of the pellets, and with the rotation of the earth considered negligible, approximately how long from the time the gun is fired will it take for the pellets to land on the ground at the spot from which the gun was fired?"

They won't. Again, because of the earths rotation the shot will land to the west of the discharge point. But because of the lower velocity hot and the spread of the buckshot you may get some of the shot to land at the discharge location. But no, all the shot will not land exactly from where it was shot off.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Never mind...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Don't listen to Payne. I doubt he's ever fired a shotgun much less hunted ducks or pheasant. You got the answer. It happens. I know it from experience and I know it from dozens of first hand accounts. It happens, that's a fact.

I suppose if you jump in the air you don't land in the same spot you jumped from either. But the bottom line is people get hit with pellets that they fired straight up in the air. Although I never heard of anyone ever being hurt form it.

As I said before, bullets are a whole different matter.
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 10:49, stoneunhinged wrote:
WHOA! Andre beat me to the calculation. Of course, his answer is wrong....

Yes but I did use the disclaimer "about" which means I did have an out.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well, apparently my answer was wrong, too. I guess I need to rework that formula.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
We'll there is acouple of way to go about it. You can do the calculations, and yes, you will probably find that's it unlikely that any of the pellets will hit on the exact same spot from which they were fired.

Or you can sit on the ground and shoot into the air and count and wait to see what happens. Eventually you will get hit, take my word for it.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Yeah, but the manlicher thing was good.

anybody see "the mexican"?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I wonder if Mythbusters ever did this one?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Shot a Gun Into the Air... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL