The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth on Letterman Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Speaking of old film clips of Johnny Carson, do any of you guys know where one might be able to obtain some of these classics?
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Clayman,
I heard that there is a compilation DVD set of JC. I'm trying to find it. I'll post it if I find it.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Though I thought some of the margarita comments were distracting, a lot of David's by play I think was done with the intention of selling the effect on TV. Picking up the coins repeatedly to demonstrate to the people at home they were real, showing them to the camera, and reiterating how amazing things were looking was smart TV.

Also the key to any talk show is the interaction between the star and the guest, it is the star who is our foundation and the person we have invited into our home. It makes sense then for the star to be that anchor and common denominator for these types of intimate performances.

There is also a format for these shows where the "music number" or "comedy turn" is presented without interaction. Perhaps those slots were filled already and the star balance needed to be maintained? I don't know, I didn't see the full show. But talk shows do think in those terms.

Do I think David is the ideal anchor for sophisticated magic? No. But I think his intentions were good.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
This clip was great, I would love to see clips of Pen and Teller, Copperfield and Blaine on Letterman. If anyone has more links to any similar stuff please post them.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Me too. I'd love to see them as well. I only saw Copperfield on the Oprah show some time ago with some kind of Ring Flight trick. I'll be checking back for other references.
Thanks a lot.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You guys have to see the P & T on Letterman where they went through an entire performance of cheezy magic just to set up their final load...the production of an entire top hat full of live roaches. Bang, right there on Letterman's desk.

I think that was Dave's first heart attack.

Does anyone know if this is on video somewhere? Don't P & T sell it?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
Gianni,
Carson used to be an amateur magician and billed himself as, I think, The Great Carsoni. Johnny always expressed his love for magic on many Tonight Show episodes. I believe Lance Burton made his debut performance on Carson's Tonight Show many years ago.
Smile Smile
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Letterman loves magic...remember when he used to book "Kaymar The Magician." (Okay, he introduced him as "K-Mar, The Discount Magician, but he was on the show several times.) I don't know Kaymar, however, his act was basically illusions and tricks right off the shelf. He took himself seriously, and clearly Letterman and the audience did not.

Back to the Roth topic, Letterman's byplay reminded me of restaurant/bar patrons I've encountered. David Roth knew it, anticipated it, and had complete control of the outcome. A great example for the rest of us. Smile

By the way, someone mentioned the Best of Johnny Carson/Tonight Show video collection. My father ordered it, and phoned me to come over to see Steve Martin perform as "The Great Flydini." He was brilliant, in a unique act he created with assistance from Ricky Jay. I think that's as close as the tapes/DVD's come to including Magic. It's tough to compete with those animal hijinks clips.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2003-04-18 23:55, houdini wrote:
Gianni,
Carson used to be an amateur magician and billed himself as, I think, The Great Carsoni. Johnny always expressed his love for magic on many Tonight Show episodes. I believe Lance Burton made his debut performance on Carson's Tonight Show many yrs ago.
Smile Smile

Yes, thank you, I was aware of Johnny's magic past. You may also be interested that he continued to take magic lessons through the years. Dean Dill was a tutor for awhile. (I think there is a picture of Johnny and Dean on Dean's website.) Also, I was watching Carson the night of Lance Burton's debut and remember it well. Lance did his cigarette and bird act against a lamp post, I think. I still recall Carson's reaction: "Now that was as classy a piece of magic as you will ever see."

Gianni
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
I'll go out on a limb and say this performance was typical Roth: banal patter, zero charisma, and 100% technical precision. The man is great with coins, but lousy with an audience - and Letterman wisely filled the gap.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Quote:
On 2003-04-19 00:10, Gianni wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-04-18 23:55, houdini wrote:
Gianni,
Carson used to be an amateur magician and billed himself as, I think, The Great Carsoni. Johnny always expressed his love for magic on many Tonight Show episodes. I believe Lance Burton made his debut performance on Carson's Tonight Show many yrs ago.
Smile Smile

Yes, thank you, I was aware of Johnny's magic past. You may also be interested that he continued to take magic lessons through the years. Dean Dill was a tutor for awhile. (I think there is a picture of Johnny and Dean on Dean's website.) Also, I was watching Carson the night of Lance Burton's debut and remember it well. Lance did his cigarette and bird act against a lamp post, I think. I still recall Carson's reaction: "Now that was as classy a piece of magic as you will ever see."

Gianni

I believe you are correct in that Johnny still practices magic. I was at Brad Burt's shop this past summer and I think one of the guys said that Brad was up the coast giving Johnny a private lesson. Brad's a member here, maybe he can comment.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Quote:
On 2003-04-19 09:07, jhostler wrote:
I'll go out on a limb and say this performance was typical Roth: banal patter, zero charisma, and 100% technical precision. The man is great with coins, but lousy with an audience - and Letterman wisely filled the gap.

I don't think Roth had a chance to be banal or charismatic because Letterman filled in the gaps so efficiently with his own wisecracks leaving Roth a few descriptive words and a moment to answer questions posed by Letterman. This is vintage Letterman but I think as I said before, he should have let him perform with fewer interruptions. As Letterman said, here was "the best coin manipulator in the world", not someone who won the local hog calling contest. Roth should have been treated as a champion and not a chump. Smile
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
.. and we wonder why Letterman hates most magicians.

- so do I, incidentally.
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Quote:
On 2003-04-20 10:29, The Original Countelmsley wrote:
I don't think Roth had a chance to be banal or charismatic because Letterman filled in the gaps so efficiently with his own wisecracks leaving Roth a few descriptive words and a moment to answer questions posed by Letterman. This is vintage Letterman but I think as I said before, he should have let him perform with fewer interruptions. As Letterman said, here was "the best coin manipulator in the world", not someone who won the local hog calling contest. Roth should have been treated as a champion and not a chump. Smile

Roth has used the same "I now have one, two, THREEEEE coins" patter since the mid-'80s. He's a magician's magician, and that's obviously not a fact lost on Letterman. The host certainly picked up on this during pre-show screening etc., and made a conscious effort to inject some entertainment into an otherwise flat performance. If Roth carried himself more like Harry Anderson or Bill Malone, the interplay would have been much more equitable.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-04-21 05:04, Futureal wrote:
.. and we wonder why Letterman hates most magicians.

- so do I, incidentally.

Too bad you hate most magicians. I really hope you were kidding. I find other magicians among the finest and friendliest people I know. The theme of The Magic Café is magicians helping other magicians. We can disagree about our personal opinions but I think we should avoid blanket statements about the magic community and remain positive. There are magicians of varying styles and skill levels. Constructive criticism and analysis of other magicians performances is appropriate. Venues that celebrate magic as an art should be rewarded with our support. Those that don't should not be immune from criticism.
Bonford
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Bonford
Thought Roth was great despite Letterman. It's impressive he could pull off such intimate work with the constant interruptions. Unfortunately, getting shingles is the funniest thing Letterman has done in the last ten years.
The posts about Carson make me miss his brand of talk show.
CardiniMan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
169 Posts

Profile of CardiniMan
If you're going to be on the Letterman show. whether you're a comic, singer or magician you already know what your in for. Granted Letterman won't interrupt a comic or a singer during their act... but once they sit down next to him it's a different story and the smart ones are prepared.

Nothing Letterman did (I'm sure) surprised Roth in anyway (but I'm just guessing) It looked to me like Roth was prepared and probably prep'ed a little in the green room.

And for the record, Jay Leno does not hate magicians. I know first hand having spent much time with him that he loves good magic. He just doesn't like bad magicians, especially the ones that use tired lines that make comics wince... As a brotherhood we like all magicians... just not all of their acts... (ok... and some of their personalities too)

I also disagree with the Count about Letterman treating him like a chump. Granted that older more vintage type of Letterman is quite abrasive... not my favorite era of his... but to his fans of the show... they could tell by his actions that he loved what he saw and thought that Roth was great.

My guess is, you don't watch the show enough to realize the difference when he does disrespect someone in order to be able to tell the difference.

Now can we all please just go get some ice cream and relax somewhere.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

I don't think this is a question of respect. What is in Letterman's heart and mind are unknown. He may think he is treating a guest well but what came across the tube was the opposite.

I have watched DL for as long as he has been on TV including his late, late shows. So my observations are based on experience and not just this one clip. I think it was OK for him to examine the coins and make a few jokes. I think his ego got in the way of Roth's performance.

I watch the show because of the guests and DL, not just to see DL. I remember years ago David Roth appearing on TV (Merv Griffin?) and asked to perform. He did the hanging coins and it was beautiful. The only interruption was the applause. I guess I expect magic to be featured on TV talk shows the way Carson did.

When Paul Gertner performed, Johnny was funny but let Paul shine. DL and Carson obviously have different styles when presenting magicians.

I prefer Carson's.

Hey CardiniMan,

If you get to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown I'll buy you that ice cream.
CardiniMan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
169 Posts

Profile of CardiniMan
Hey Count,

Agreed on your post before last. The demographic that Carson, Cavett and Griffin reached were completely different, that echoed Charm, wit and classy. Sad commentary on DL. What does that say about the audience... But it looks like we both watch him though... what does that say. We should have swallowed the blue pill.

But like you said ...nothing like seeing someone you and I respect not being held in high regard. Whatya going to do.

And one day I will make that pilgrimage to Cooperstown with my son like my Dad did with me... and Hunter and I both like Vanilla.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
For everyone who misses Johnny Carson, or those who wonder what he was like, he's now got a website with video clips on it!

http://www.johnnycarson.com

Click "ENTERTAINMENT" to get to the menu of clips of his old sketches, including a bunch of Carnac the Magnificent (a parody of mindreaders.)

Somewhere there's a clip of Drew Carey the first time he was on the show. He'd just done his standup set, and Carson interviews him. Drew was ON.

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth on Letterman Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL