The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Surprised by Uday Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I picked up that 3 cup set of Uday cups on eBay last week. I never took the time to add any of them to my collection. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the quality. I was expecting some typical Indian scrap metal cups coated in toxic lacquer but these are all spun well, stack well and use a decent thickness of metal.

color me surprised!

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
The chop cups are especially stout because of the double layer - I bought 3 chop cups for the set and am/was very content..........
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 17:56, lint wrote:
color me surprised!

www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Then I guess I got a dysfunctional set. Mine don't stack right at all, and the metal is extremely thin and light.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I'm not saying they aren't bargain cups, however I expected (and have bought) much worse.

I would recommend these right along side Morrissey's cups.

-todd
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
My first cups were Udays, I liked them fine. That was until I got my hands on one of Jake's cups.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Mine too. I performed with them long time until I got my Phoenix and my Penguin, wich I use in my regular performs. They were excellent and so cheap... the good times. (I still use the Uday balls, some kind of nostalgy may be.)
Lux In Tenebris
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 21:13, MagicByUriel wrote:
Then I guess I got a dysfunctional set. Mine don't stack right at all, and the metal is extremely thin and light.

Me too!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just wondering whether the m***** in the Uday chop cup consistently strong with all of them? Anyone having problem with the chop ball on the Uday Chop cup?
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 03:24, JamesTong wrote:
Just wondering whether the m***** in the Uday chop cup consistently strong with all of them? Anyone having problem with the chop ball on the Uday Chop cup?

No. But if two balls are in the cup, and you turn it over - both balls come down. Makes it hard to do the Mendoza routine.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I really like the Uday Chop ball myself. Where it may be too weak for larger cups, it works perfectly with my aluminum Little Don.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 14:26, MagicByUriel wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 03:24, JamesTong wrote:

No. But if two balls are in the cup, and you turn it over - both balls come down. Makes it hard to do the Mendoza routine.

There's why I make my own gaff balls specially to be able to do the Mendoza routine.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Are the Uday cups very light or heavy enough compared to the standard brass cups?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 14:48, Lawrence O wrote:
Are the Uday cups very light or heavy enough compared to the standard brass cups?

I have copper PF cups from Jake Zimmerman, and compared to them the Udays are feather light.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Again, the Uday chop cups are twice the weight of the regular Udays becauze they are double lined - well worth the $20..........
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1615 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Would buying the Uday Combo Set or Bazar de Magia Combo set ( one chop cup + two non-chop cups) be basically the same thing in terms of weight of the cups because to match the look and weight of the chop cup do they make the other two cups of equal weight with a double-lining ? Or is it made so the Combo Set has one heavier cup , and two lighter weight cups ? That might be useful in keeping track of the chop cup , but also might be awkward for handling since the other two cups would feel so different .
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 14:37, David Todd wrote:
Would buying the Uday Combo Set or Bazar de Magia Combo set ( one chop cup + two non-chop cups) be basically the same thing in terms of weight of the cups because to match the look and weight of the chop cup do they make the other two cups of equal weight with a double-lining ? Or is it made so the Combo Set has one heavier cup , and two lighter weight cups ? That might be useful in keeping track of the chop cup , but also might be awkward for handling since the other two cups would feel so different .

I have a Uday combo set, and the chop cup weighs at least double the amount as the normal cups do. Yes it is easier to keep track of, but the weight difference can get a little awkward to handle.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
So buy three chop cups - you won't be disappointed for the price......
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Bazar cups are heavier than the Udays. Quality is a few steps up as well. Bazar chop cup is poorly designed though.

-todd
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1615 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 22:11, Robert Kohler wrote:
So buy three [Uday] chop cups - you won't be disappointed for the price......

I was able to take a close look at the Uday copper chop cup at a magic shop this week. The size and weight felt ok to me, but the chop gimmick is very obvious, not well disguised at all , so I would not use this for a chop cup routine where any heat is on the cup. (and I realize of course that Robert Kohler was not suggesting to use it as a chop cup, but to use three of them for a normal C & B routine). I can see that three of these Uday chop cups used for a normal (non-gimmicked) C & B routine would make a nice , inexpensive starter set of cups. As long as no heat is on the cups I don't think the poorly disguised chop cup gimmick is too much of an issue. These can be found for $9.95 (Buy-it-Now price) on eBay , so yeah, for about $30.00 a pretty decent starter set of cups and balls. A set of regular Morrissey copper cups is around $45.00 at full retail price (possibly less on eBay) . To my eyes the regular Morrissey copper cups look better . So is it worth it to save about $15.00 ?

Side-by -side in the magic shop compared with the standard copper Morrissey Cups or Bazar de Magia cups
I noticed that the copper color of the Morrissey and the Bazar cups is a richer, deeper copper color , which does make me wonder if the Uday cups are pure copper or a copper color plating of some sort ?

At the magic shop I took a photo of the inside of the Uday cup with my cell phone :

see here and here for photos of the cup from two different angles . Does that seem as obvious to everyone else as it does to me ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Surprised by Uday Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL