The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Are Blizzard & Black Envelope worth their price? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
The first time I saw Blizzard was by Dean Dill himself. It totally blew me away. I purchased it on the spot, practiced it and then completely smoked a few audiences with it. I couldn't believe that the bold move at the heart of the effect worked so well.

I haven't performed it for a while but this thread reminded me how incredibly magical it is.

Worth every penny and more.
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
Blizzard is terrific. It's moderately priced, but the prop you receive isn't the greatest. I bought a better one off eBay for $13. This made the trick 100% better (by better, I mean easier to perform). The idea is terrific though, definitely get it.

Black Envelope is a little on the abnormal side for me, meaning I don't like the method. It's just not my style and I don't enjoy performing it. I saw the method a LONG time ago in a book (though which one exactly escapes me). Just not a great one in my opinion, though I haven't seen the DVD.
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I saw Blizzard demo-ed at a convention. It's a strong effect. However, a little thought on the part of the spectator does tip the secret, in my opinion. (Well, I worked out the method for myself after seeing it once.) I haven't performed the effect, but it is the sort of thing I love, a really subtle but bold piece of business with a strong impact.

I was curious about Dean Dill's marketing of this effect on his site. He says he invented it in 1997. He also says it fooled Dai Vernon. Something wrong there, surely, as Mr. Vernon died in 1992.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
gibby357
View Profile
Veteran user
The Woodlands, TX
344 Posts

Profile of gibby357
Wow Steve,
I had to see Blizzard 3 times before I caught my local Magi doing the dirty work. It was at that time and is now, worth every penny. Not a fan of the Black Envelope, Regal's Special Delivery or any of those types of effects. Hope I helped.

gibby
Scott Chesney
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Scott Chesney
I own the Black Envelope and believe it to be well worth the purchase. Not only do you get the trick, you get a full DVD explaining the methods as well as the performance and explanation for 5 different effects for the Black Envelope, all of which are very well done and in some cases, amazing.

Scott Chesney
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Two effects that blows laymen away!! They will not end up in your drawer! 4 star **** effects!
Gerard
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Blizzard fools everyone I have ever showed it to. The best part is that inner satisfaction I get when performing it. Let them grab the deck and set back and enjoy. I once performed it for another magician 4 times straight and he never caught it. The lay audience just goes crazy. They want to see the deck but usually won't ask. I give it to them while I put my closeup case away. It has to be the closer, nothing can beat it. I then take the deck back, put it in its case and put in in my pocket. They have seen REAL magic!!!!!!!!!!
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
Blizzard always impresses people. I don't consider it overpriced considering the great effect you are getting and a wonderful manuscript from dean dill. I don't own Black Envelope but have seen it performed and it looks very slick.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
I have Regal's Special Delivery. I like the open window in the envelope. People actually SEE your thumb grasping the card as you remove it.

I do not own Black Envelope. My question is are they basically the same in their effects? I realize that they look different. But it seems to me after reading what BE does, that having both would be redundant. Comments please.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
BLIZZARD is as good as it gets. If you sat and watched Dean make the pieces you would say it would be worth twice the price.

To say "stunned" reaction is putting it mildly.

You can't follow it with ANYTHING.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
I've them both and think that both deserve their value. For Blizzard the gimmick should have been made better (for me..) as I found the flap part trouble some but you can adapt it easily.

Eric
davidcarlo
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of davidcarlo
Blizzard--one word, "yes!"
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I'll echo PalmBeachGuy - I own both Black Envelope and Special Delivery. Because the card appears in the window envelope before you remove it, and the audience actually sees your thumb through that window removing the card, I perform Special Delivery now and have sold my Black Envelope set. While Black Envelope is a quality effect, I appreciate the open and clean look of Special Delivery.

I also perform Blizzard and I agree; it's well worth the money and is a reputation maker.
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Blizzard is definatley. The other, I have no idea of.
Scott Chesney
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Scott Chesney
I own both effects and love both of them. Blizzard is far easier than Black Envelope to master. Black Envelope is a far better dollar value, in that you receive a full DVD with several routines included. With Blizzard you are essentially paying for the secret itself for the most part.

As others have said, when you read the major move required in Blizzard, you will simply say it can't possibly work and yet it does. The trick is incredibly simple and foolproof as long as you have the nerve.

In sum, I think both of these effects are worth the money.

Scott Chesney
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
Blizzard gets a huge thumbs up in my book. The move is so diabolical yet I haven't been caught yet!
Dr Jim
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dr Jim
I have only gotten "caught" once with Blizzard....by my nine year old son! He nailed me the very first time he saw it. I guess kids sometimes see things clearer that adults.
shane079
View Profile
New user
ga
33 Posts

Profile of shane079
Yes that is true they do see alot of things that adults do not see..
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
171 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
I love Blizzard it is one of my favourite effects. IT does require a lot of confidence.
Best wishes John
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
I am not looking for exposure, so please don't answer my question if it is inappropriate. But I was wondering -- does Blizzard involve a deck switch?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Are Blizzard & Black Envelope worth their price? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL