The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I wanted to open my Halloween shows with a Multiplying Eyeball routine. I figured I could take my Fakini Mult. Balls and paint them like eyeballs to fit the theme of the show. However, the paint wipes off. Tried Sharpie marker, same results due to the silicone. I was thinking of painting them and heating them in the oven to "bake" the finish on . . . but I'm not sure that is a great idea lol. Anone have any suggestions?
Tommy
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Multiplying eyeballs : Pingpong balls. Only disadvantage is they are very lightweight, which may be a problem if you are used to manipulating the heavier Fakini silicone balls.

Craft stores like Michael's sell round wooden balls which might be suitable and you could make the gimmick from a pingpong ball. You would have to spend a bit of time sanding the wooden balls.

With either the wooden balls or ping pong balls you should spray a primer on them first. Then white paint, Then paint the eyeballs on or use Sharpie. Finish off with clear acrylic sealant or thin coat of clear shellac.
(shellac is traditionally used on the wooden multiplying balls and applied correctly dries to a smooth surface that retains a bit of "tackiness" which makes the balls easier to grip. I've never tried shellac on a ping pong ball , so may experiment with one first to see if it works. I think just a light coating of spray on clear acrylic sealant should work.

Actually, I think the least trouble would be to buy an inexpensive set of wooden or plastic multiplying balls (most of these come in red, but you might get lucky and find white) , paint them white if necessary , then paint on the eyeballs .
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Stickers?
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
And then there's this:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Sponge-Eyeba......ll-Trick

There's a lousy video on YouTube (no demo of the trick , just some guy pitching it as a way to meet girls ... yeah , right Smile ) but at least you can see the eyeballs as he holds them up for the camera :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBa7oAmS7uc

These don't come with the traditional multiplying balls gimmick , so you'll have to make one if you want to do a traditional multiplying balls routine. You could use a Sanada gimmick to produce the first sponge eyeball barehanded , then use simple steals to introduce the other sponge eyeballs , until you had four.

Goshman makes a Multiplying Sponge Balls set . If they make it in White then that's easy, you can just get the gimmick from the Goshman set.

If you can't get a gimmick from a Goshman set I'm not sure how to make the gimmick ... you'd need to find an appropriate size s _ _ _ l and perhaps cover it with a spray-on foam (if there is such a thing) ? Maybe hard white s _ _ _ l would be a close enough match as long as it was painted the same shade of white and the painted-on eyeball design matches the sponge eyeballs.

I still think the simplest solution is to find an inexpensive set of wooden or plastic multiplying balls , paint them white if necessary, then paint on the eyeballs. Unfortunately, most come in Red , so you'll have to paint them white and it will probably take several coats to cover them completely. Take your time in painting them , to let each coat of paint dry and set for a day before applying the next coat. Hopefully two coats of white paint would do it, but you might need three. Be sure to apply the paint in thin coats.

http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant......BallWood
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13357 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Don't ruin your fakini balls !!!! You'll kick yourself one day.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-09-23 11:41, Frank Starsini wrote:
Don't ruin your fakini balls !!!! You'll kick yourself one day.

Agreed ! I didn't mention it in my other posts, but I was sorry to hear that you were painting or taking a Sharpie to those white Fakini balls. Those things are worth too much.

Find some cheap wooden multiplying balls, or the ping pong ball idea, or adapt the Alan Wong Sponge Eyeballs.

Now come to thing of it , what might work with the Fakini balls is to make the eyeballs (pupils) from cling vinyl material. Grafix Cling Vinyl is the brand name. Available at most craft stores. Cut out the circles for the eyeballs (use a template to make them neat shapes. ) and press them down on the surface of the balls. The cling vinyl stuff might stick to the silicone firmly enough to allow you to manipulate the balls ? Cling vinyl will stick to most slick , dry surfaces . However after you are finished with it , it peels off and does not leave any residue or adhesive stickiness.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Nice ideas. I have two sets of these balls, that is why I was willing to sacrifice one set. I have thought about ping pong balls too, but, have you ever tried to manipulate those things? Slippery as hell. I actually HAVE some of the cling vinyl , I am going to try it but I have a feeling it isn't going to work too well, but doesn't hurt to try. I might try the wooden balls and paint them David. Its just that the silicone has such a nice grip, its almost impossible to drop the things.
There is nothing wrong with just opening to the multiplying balls, but wouldn't it fit the show better to be eyeballs?? I WILL make this happen somehow.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Tommy
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
690 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
As posted above, stickers are the best way to go. I've done this before, just go into staples or officw depot and get a few round white stickers and color those up with colored sharpies while they're on the sticker sheet, then peel them off and place them on your fakinis. Make several extras because they will peel off when you practice with them. That's the best way to do it without ruining your balls.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
You know... I think they make Fakini eye balls. I'm pretty sure he had them at Abbott's. Dunno if you want to spend that much, but they look like eyes; with veins and all Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Sticker would be a better idea. They would not ruin the Fakini Balls and you can just peel them off after the performance.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
248 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
I have found eyeball rubber balls (that just sound strange) at some joke shops. No shell mind you but they handle OK. They also have veins and look icky. Good stuff!!
If you need a shell, stickers.
ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
Use electritions tape and design the eyes out of the three colors.
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
Fakinis are a little costly to go painting and baking. I am sure there are much better ways of doing it with much cheaper balls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL