The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky Raccoon is not real!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I have been going through my children's show lately and taking notes on the strengths and weaknesses of each routine. I also take notes, judging by the strengths and weaknesses, on how to improve each routine.

One problem that I am having trouble finding a solution to is in my Rocky Raccoon routine. Many times, after he has been brought out, children yell out, "He's not real!!!" Of course he's not real, he doesn't have legs for crying out loud! But how can I respond to these comments? I could ignore them but I would like to see what you guys think.

-Andini Smile
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1541 Posts

Profile of Futureal
- Learn how to make him look real.

If you're using it correctly ala David Williamson it looks like the real thing.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-04-13 01:53, Futureal wrote:
- Learn how to make him look real.

If you're using it correctly ala David Williamson it looks like the real thing.

You have obviously never seen a living racoon. Nothing you can do could ever make rocky look like a real racoon for over two seconds nor would you want to, if it was a actual living racoon it wouldn't be funny.
As to how to respond to those who say "It's not real!" try the following:

He used to be.

Hush you'll hurt his feelings.

He's not? Thank goodness I can stop feeding him now.

Sshhh! He doesn't know he's dead yet.

The voices in my head say he is.

He's not! well I'm never going back to that pet store.

He certainly is to real, real dead.

Of course he's real, if he was imaginary he'd look a lot more real.

The fun of rocky is in treating him as real when the audience knows he most certainly is not
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Kids aren't stupid and hate being taken for fools, they know he's a puppet but their imaginations soon overcome reality so I wouldn't worry about it. If you carry on they soon forget as they get caught up in the fun, 99% of the time the one who says he's a puppet is the first one to shout that the puppet is doing something, in my routine they're the first to shout "HE'S EATING THE HANKY" when scamp eats my colored silk. Which is funny because then I can say, "Did he really eat it?" "YESSS" "I thought you said he was a puppet."

When a kid first says Scamp is a puppet, I sometimes say "Of course he his, do you know why I use a puppet? Do you realize how messy my arm would get if he was a real dog!, Anyway I know he's a puppet, you know he's a puppet but he doesn't."

Another one is to say, "I know but he's a real puppet not a pretend puppet" This can lead to a never ending funny arguement where they argue he's not a real puppet he's pretend.

Don't say "I know he's a puppet but don't tell him" or you may get the determined brat who will chant "YOUR A PUPPET, YOUR A PUPPET" and the rest will join in, this can then take time to stop.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Occasionally, a younger kid is scared of Rocky; and I get the kids who say that he's not real, too.

So I just say, "Of course he's a puppet! If I put him down, he can't do anything." And then I put him down on the table, and stand there and look at him for a couple of moments. This is an intentionally disappointing moment, as the show comes to a stop. The puppet's not moving, there's nothing funny happening, and I'm just pointing out how he's just a puppet.

Then, I say, "When I pick him up, I make him move, and he looks alive again" and go on from where I left off.

The younger kids aren't scared of him anymore, and the older kids don't have anything to say about it. I also think the kids appreciate the honesty.

If one of the kids keeps saying, "He's a puppet!" after I've done this, I get a bit sarcastic and say, "Of course! I just showed everyone!" as if it was the most obvious thing in the world (which I guess it is at this point) and the kid shuts up. (The adults laugh a lot at that one.)

Jeff
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
NOT REAL?

Next thing, somebody on here is going to tell me there's no Easter Bunny!

Humpf!

Smile
Evan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Evan
Smile haha Peter... you just made my day.

Evan
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
When I get complaints that he is not real I tell them that he used to be real, until I scrapped out his guts and put batteries in. This seems to get a laugh from the adults.

The problem I have is more when the children are thinking he is not real but don’t say anything. When I get close and offer an opportunity to pat him they pull is his tail or try to grab him away as if to expose him as a puppet. I never try and present him as being real but I still get that happen quite often.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I get the same thing, the kid who wants to grab and pull on Scamps legs, It's just an occupational hazard.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Try to introduce him as a puppet.
If your routine is good they forget all about him being a puppet. He will comes to life for them as he shows his own personality.
But for those who would say "he is a puppet" you already told them he was.

He are some other ideas
Mis call his name. Have him run up to correct you (the puppet that is) After awhile the kids will start correcting you.
You could say Rocky the puppet. mis calling him Rocky the Cuppit, muppet, tuppit, Buffet ect.... Then the kids correct you "NO Rocky the PUPPET!!!!"
this is enpowering them with knowlegde, they know the name but you keep forgetting it. This is a very powerful routine that builds excitment.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Haha...I just thought of a name for a rock star puppet (by reading your post):

"JIMMY PUPPET" (Cheeseburger in Paradise) Smile

-Andini Smile
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I keep my racoon inside a carring box with little holes so she can breath. I always asked Kids if they have pets?. Listen to their response. Ask "Who has dogs, cats, birds...iguanas..Then they laugh.

Then I ask them if they want to see my pet. Tell the kids my pet's name(Her name is Lupe). Bring out the box and ask them to be be quiet or else (Lupe)won't come out.

I reach inside the box to grab her and suddenly bring my hand out looking scared. This ussualy gets a laugh.

I reach in once more and as soon as I got her out, she starts to run over my face. I try to get her off me moving all around. Finally,after a short fight, I end up getting her inside the box.

I say to the kids that she wanted to kiss me in my mouth and I make a funny face. Ask the kids once more to stay quiet otherwise when I bring her out she will try to kiss me.

I reach again for the Box and she runs to my face, make an expression like she kissed me in my moth. Get her back into the box and wipe off the kiss from my lips.

This gets a laugh with most of the kids.They see my racoon for so little time, that they are not sure if it is a real pet.

They will be willing to see it in the next show.
Bye,
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1541 Posts

Profile of Futureal
When Williamson brings his out everyone thinks its real.

.. this is just for about a minute mind you, then he explains its a puppet.

- You're not trying to pass it off as being a real raccoon are you?
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
Newbie question : What's rocky the racoon? A puppet I guess, but what's special about it? Why everybody is using it in their magic shows? Thanks Smile
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
See Al Cohen's site -- there's a clip of him demonstrating it in the shop.

http://www.tobias.cc/cgi-local/readdatan......ROCKYVID
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Hi Futureal,
I think that rocky racoon is a nice pet. If you learn how to make him move, people will wonder whether he is real or not. It is just like a nice double lift. The better you do it, the more real it looks. Or like an ordinary deck of cards, why would I stress the fact that a deck is ordinary if it is so.

I don't say anything about him being real or not. It doesn't matter to me. Why would they care?. Does a ventriloquist starts a show making you believe his puppet is a real person? When you come to think about it, Rocky is almost the real stuff. At least the tail is real, the body is rabbit fur.

He is not alive but he is real. Bring him to life.

When I first got my Rocky, no one believed he was real. After playing with him for a while, I started to make him move more like an animal and not like a puppet.

When I meet people that saw my show, some of them ask me for "Lupe" and not for my puppet.

Mago Mai

I forgot to mention that we don't have racoons in my Country. Plus,I don't say is a racoon. If they have seen a real racoon no wonder they reply that Rocky is not a real racoon. I say it is a weird animal from the jungles of the rain forest.
Mago Mai
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I just got a Lilly the skunk. I think it might be funnier than Rocky. What do you think? Chris Carey has a funny bit with a Spring Skunk.
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I bet it is funnier than a racoon.Can you share that funny bit with us?

I have one for you all.

While holding the skunk in your hands have a small spray perfume bottle with cheap perfume,as you aproach the audience spray the perfume in the air.Then say something like:

Channel # 5.
thanks lord he is eating a balance diet.
don't worry..just tell your wife it was a skunk.

or any ohther line,
Mago Mai
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1008 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I've never used the raccoon, just "stinky the skunk".

Chris Carey's routines can be found in his books, available from most magic dealers.
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

Preshow Announcements Sample & INSTANT DOWNLOAD

Rindercella Story

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Tim can he get those books through you?
The fact that it is a Skunk is funny.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky Raccoon is not real!? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL