The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What Performance Type do you like the most? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Here's a question that is purely a thing of curiosity for me. Although I have done everything but large stage illusions and birds...pretty much. I have a very narrow range of performing situations I actually like.

I all times favorite venue was working a cocktail part at an unmoveable station, my custom made Creekmore table. Over the counter in a magic shop. Stand up for small parties.

I hate going table to table. I hate roaming about. I would make the worst cold call sales person that ever lived. I don't like large stages with it's distance from the audience. I've done it. Did it a lot at one time. I just don't like it.

Just curious? Best,
Brad Burt
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
My favorite type of performance is my talking stand-up cabaret/nightclub/banquet act.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Formal close up at a table.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I like best to be on a stage at a fair or festival with one or 2 large illusions and the rest club and parlor size stuff.
Bob.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Proscenium Arch stage all the way!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
As a croupier I am accustomed to being seated at the card table, dealing with eight or so players. Also as a poker player I am used to sitting at the card table chatting and telling stories to players etc. Because I am familiarized with that, as an amateur card guy, I feel more comfortable and prefer to be seated at a table performing with cards. As magic fan though I think my favourite type is stage magic. Mind you I like all good magic I guess.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
AlexanderYan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AlexanderYan
My absolute favorite performance location would be a black-box style theater. Its fairly intimate but you're still the center of attention and can perform larger effects. The only real problem is the angles, but if you're a talking act like I am, it's not too bad. I can see manipulators having problems with it, though, but it's what I like best.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Festival, 4 spectators standing.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My favorite is parlor sized inside of a house. I do like parlor in schools too. But in the house the children and I are a lot closer. It feels more like being a friend to them.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Thank you all! I have no idea why I have always found this interesting. I had a friend, Dan McKeon. Brilliant stage guy. Birds, etc. He hated close-up for the exact reason that I loved it, and I hate stage magic for the exact reason that he loved it.

Dan didn't like being in close contact with the audience. I didn't like the distance! He felt more in control on stage producing birds, etc. I always felt slightly out of control.

Best,
Brad Burt
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Stage / Parlor / Kid Shows are my favorite. I think table hoping is lots of hard work, not my favorite venue. Call me lazy, I admire the close up guys who thrive on it.

David
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I love to work out of my pockets in a cocktail or dinner party setting. It's a relaxed atmosphere, and really a treat for the spectators, as most have never experienced "close up" magic.
Sammy J. Teague
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I love to perform, though I don't actively pursue gigs like I did in the past. I don't have a preference for one venue over the other. I do like performing my manipulation act, so I suppose by default I'd have to set my site on the parlor/stage. There was a time that I hated doing walk-around magic. Anytime I can make a strong connection with an audience, large or small, I love it.

As an audience member I don't like restaurant table hoppers ... buzz off. I'm a curmudgeon when the waiters, managers and the like who interrupt my company and conversation with cheesy rote phrases. If however if I choose to go to a venue where entertainment is a theme of the establishment, then they can have at us at will.
POOF!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2008-09-23 21:59, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Proscenium Arch stage all the way!

Yep. If I were performing nowadays, that would be it for me. A second choice would be the 30's and 40's style night-club setting.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What Performance Type do you like the most? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL