The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Resources on stealing, ditching, etc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
Are there any resources on stealing, ditching in manipulation routines?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In _Routined Manipulation_ (Part II, I think) Lewis Ganson provided a detailed analysis of stealing billiard balls for productions and I think the principles are generic enough to apply to stealing just about anything. Of course, watching videos of the masters is educational in itself. I remember that when Channing Pollock was considering releasing the secrets of his act (about the time that his movie career was riding high), he considered releasing the details of the entire act to the Chavez School for teaching to their students. When Benny found out the real work of the double dove production, he admitted that he hadn't been quite correct in his analysis. It's a tribute to Channing's art that someone of Chavez's caliber could be misdirected so well.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez-----
----- Sonny Narvaez
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Getting your hands on those resources can be very helpful. But you also need hands-on experiences. Getting your hands on those items, play around with them and you will be amazed that the practical part of it is also a very good learning experience.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Duane Laflin has a nice DVD titled “Silken Sequences and Steals” that shows how to set up a box table for steals and how to drop a hidden object as you steal or pick-up a second object. This DVD is focused on a silk act but the theory translates to any act requiring a table steal.

Jay Lesslie DVD on Ball manipulation has some discussion of stealing a ball in the process of a ball routine.

John Fedko’s video on Stage Cards has a small discussion on stealing cards in the sequence of a card act.

Most of what you want is spread out in the literature and on video. You will have to frame an act and see what you need and simply start to frame your act so that body position and arm movements occur to cover what dirty work needs to be done. A couple of principles that you already know is to use the body as much as possible to hide a steal and a bigger motion hides a smaller motion.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Geoffry Buckingham's book, "It's easier Then You Think", covers off on an entire section on this very topic as well as how to make certain devices to aid in it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
Thanks Anatole, my order is already coming in for Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation.

Quote:
Duane Laflin has a nice DVD titled “Silken Sequences and Steals” that shows how to set up a box table for steals and how to drop a hidden object as you steal or pick-up a second object. This DVD is focused on a silk act but the theory translates to any act requiring a table steal.

Thanks Harry. As a sidenote, do you have any idea if Rice's Silk Encyclopedia contains the said resources as well?

Quote:
Geoffry Buckingham's book, "It's easier Then You Think", covers off on an entire section on this very topic as well as how to make certain devices to aid in it.

Kyle, where can I get this book? It doesn't seem to be at Murphy's.

Quote:
Getting your hands on those resources can be very helpful. But you also need hands-on experiences. Getting your hands on those items, play around with them and you will be amazed that the practical part of it is also a very good learning experience.

Indeed James, thanks. Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Rice's "Encyclopedia of Silk Magic" doesn't discuss steals and ditching much at all. It is more about presenting Silk magic tricks as features. The steals are few even in the productions. Some of the tricks have the production items built right into them (for example the various “Blendo” routines or the “20th Century Silk” routines).

I strongly recommend that you try to find the original hard copy, single volume, version of “It’s Easier Than You Think” when you are looking for the Buckingham book. It was reprinted in two or three paper back pamphlets that simply suck! Oh the type face is easy to read but the photos are dark (Xerox third or later generation) and difficult to see. I guess that it is better than nothing. Try the used magic book dealers like H & R booksellers.

Geoffrey Buckingham put out a video not put on DVD (by L&L?) that shows him loading himself up for his act. You get some idea of body steals for thimbles, coins, and balls. It is well worth getting and watching especially if you have the book.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Michael Ammar has a DVD dealing with a Topit. You can use it for stealing and ditching. You will need a Topit too.
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
Thanks once again, for the great information. Will check everything out in due time.

H & R doesn't appear to have “It’s Easier Than You Think”, but I'll keep searching. My pocket tells me there's no hurry. Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The book is an old one and so may be a litle harder to find. keep looking ariound though as it is a greta resource.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2008-09-27 15:34, JamesTong wrote:

I remember a lecture at magi-fest (but forget who it was) and he talked about leaving your props in full view all the time in order to come up with a creative use for them. He also mentioned the importance of playing with the props often and something creative will STRIKE!

chaz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Resources on stealing, ditching, etc (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL