The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » My Review: Destination Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1048 Posts

Profile of sbays
I promised Jon I would post a review of this item when I got it, so here goes.

I have to say that i have been on the fence about purchasing the Destination Box for quite some time. I mean, I already had the Mystery Box which cost me much less than the Destination Box would cost. Why go spend $200 for a card to box effect that I already have? Boy, was I wrong.

This thing is FANTASTIC! Let me break it down into a few categories.

Workmanship: This is a beautiful piece of work. Very elegant in appearance. Very well constructed. Trust me, I have had some pretty shoddy wood props in the past. This one is by far the best, hands down.

Effect: Not only is this little gem a card to box, (Unlike the Kennedy Mystery Box) it is a Bill to box, a prediction box, a ring to box ... I really could go on and on about the versatility of this prop, suffice it to say that the possibilities are nigh to endless. Think about it .. you would have to buy three seperate Kennedy boxes to achieve the first three effects i mentioned above. The Destination Box goes far beyond that.

The Video: Jon goes into great detail about every aspect of the DB from handling, effects, spectator management, maintenance etc. Trust me, you will come up with many ideas on your own after watching the video. I sure did.

Overall, I give the Destination box a firm ten out of ten. I love it. I consider this to be the best investment i have made in magic. If you are on the fence like me deciding between a mystery box or this box, its time to leap off onto the DB side of the fence. Seriously, i kick myself for waiting. It's pretty funny, I just don't look at my Mystery box the same way now. Smile

This is definitely something you want in your arsenal if you are serious about strong magic. Thank you Jon Allen! Smile
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1154 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I agree with your review. All of Jon's improvements, as well as other improvements which he properly credits for this, are outstanding and totally raise this effect to a real showpiece. The accompanying video is so complete, Jon leaves nothing out. I have absolutely no need for my Kennedy Mystery Box any longer. Jon also picked a great size for his box, being large enough to see at a distance and hold, while small enough to place in your pants pocket once it is no longer needed. This is one of the few items that is worth what he is charging, unlike so many other props.

Brian
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1721 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Brian,

You are not the first person to say they now use the Destination Box instead of their Mystery Box. The two are wholly different and I don't like to compare them because they *are* so different.

I developed the Destination Box to be the best version yet. It has advantages and benefits over other versions which you have found!

Keep up the performances and keep frying your audiences.

Btw, if anyone is going to the Washington one day convention, I'll have the box with me, as well as at FISM. Look out for it!
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1048 Posts

Profile of sbays
Jon, got a chance to use this during a gig last night, and "FRY" the audience would be a gross understatement!

I used it as a prediction, and let me tell you, the looks on those peoples faces. Smile This thing is so clean. The host of the party had the box from the begenning, and when that prediction was revealed. MUAHAHAHAHA!!

This is as i said, my FAVORITE piece of magic. If you don't own one, it really is your loss.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I bought one of these too and am very happy with the quality workmanship.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Would love to hear if users are still enjoying this box ...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3547 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Hank Lee has them advertised at present. Anyone bought one recently for further review?
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1806 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Destination box is very nice routine and very very well designed and definetely a worker. that's why I hate to say this but with current price (around 300$), its way overpriced for what it is. The wood would have to be the most exotic in the world and inserts real silver for this price sadly.

When it used to be around 200$ it was allready rather expensive but for professional it still was worth it. Now... Well... I think I would suggest you to compare it to other possibilities like John Kennedys Mystery box 2... If Destination box seems to appeal you more and you aren't just amateur planning to use it once or twice a month but regularly then go for it. And also buy mr Allens Spectators don't exist video first (Not sure if this is avaible on dvd). The Destination box is totally explained in there and also few ways to make your own so you know what you are buying and you will also get some real world killer material. I use the coins across from this tape on every professional close-up performance I do. Last sunday I did it around 50 times I think.

So to sum it up, get the tape to see what you are buying and make the desision after that.

All the best

J-M
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3547 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks for the advice korttihai, I'll buy the tape first
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I saw a video somewhere of Mystery Box and it was obvious how it was done, I guess that magician did not do a convincing job with the Mystery Box.. I was not impressed at all, hopefully the Destination Box is that much better. The price of $300 is too much for a beginner like me.
bronx
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of bronx
Just got the Destination Box and I'm in love with it. It really is a beautiful piece of workmanship. I plan on using it in all my trade show presentations (the bulk of what I do) There are many applications for working in corporate messaging, and it's just such an elegant piece to work with. I combined a few of Jon's ideas doing a prediction with a mini deck, and revealing a signed bill (or contract) at the same time. The reactions have been fantastic !

Ultimately, like any expensive and quality prop, it's worth it if you use it.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
Sounds like a great effect. I just wish it was in my price range.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » My Review: Destination Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL