The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Cardsharp Vs shark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Hi,
forgive me for the dumb question, but what is the difference between a sharp and a shark?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
To me they were always pretty much synonymous, but I think we had a big long thread about it here once and people draw a distinction. To me a sharp is always a cheat but a shark may or may not be a cheat.

I don't know if there is even a right or wrong answer to your question these days. I think originally "sharp" was more common and it kind of morphed into "shark".

In other words, don't ask me. No matter which way you define it, someone who is smarter and more "in the know" will be along any minute to tell you you have it all wrong. Followed by someone else who will tell them they are all wrong. Followed by... etc, etc, etc.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15770 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cardshark is wrong and cardsharp is right. Them yanks just can’t talk proper, that‘s the difference. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
artwo
View Profile
Veteran user
South England
333 Posts

Profile of artwo
Shark sounds more threatening and sexy and gets snapped up by the media.

Although I like Vandy's idea that sharps are always cheaters and sharks may not be. I'll go by that one right there.

In fact, a trip to dictionary.com confirms that.

Cardsharp is...

Quote:
card·sharp [kahrd-shahrp] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a person, esp. a professional gambler, who cheats at card games.
Also, cardsharper.

[Origin: 1855–60, Americanism; card1 + sharp]

—Related forms
cardsharping, noun

Whereas card shark...

Quote:
card shark
–noun
1. an expert cardplayer.
2. cardsharp.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I really think the whole "card shark" thing came from the term "pool shark".

I think we've all heard of a "pool shark" but have you ever heard of a "pool sharp"? That's what I mean when I say it "morphed". I think in the minds and vocabulary of most people "shark" and "sharp" became one and the same. It may be an American thing, I don't know.

I don't consider a pool hustler to be a cheater. They may play below speed or whatever, but they legitimately make the shots. That's why when I say someone can be a "card shark" and not be a cheater. But to me a "sharp" or "sharper" is a cheater.

I think Tommy is right, "sharp" is older and more correct, but like a lot of things it has changed over time and I think that word "pool shark" had a lot to do with it.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Sharps and Flats
maturpia
View Profile
Regular user
Paradise City
142 Posts

Profile of maturpia
On cardshark.us there is a brief description of this terms.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
766 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Anyone who preys on others is a shark, regardless of method or morality. A sharp, however, is a shark that uses skill and cheating ability. A shark may give incorrect odds. A sharp will defy the odds.
This is just the way I like to look at it and is not by any means meant to be taken as a fact.
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 07:05, The Dowser wrote:
A shark may give incorrect odds. A sharp will defy the odds.

I like this quote. I think it sums it up perfectly. Thanks.
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
162 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/opinion/article/380580
"Don't trouble 'bout no two hen's, Boss. Get yo' own hen'. De suckah, he'll get a han' all right, suah!"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Good article, thanks.

"Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit."

Exactly!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Cardsharp Vs shark (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL