The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Where to post video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Does any web-savvy person know where we can post video to invite others to see, but that isn't public. I don't want all my clips up on youtube, ore even a magic video site. I would like to post them somewhere that I can invite certain people to see them.

Thanks,

Josh
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Put them in a .htaccess password protected directory on your website. When you invite people to see the videos, give them the password. If you're worried about your guests sharing the password with others, change the password frequently.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Mary B. has a good idea.

I use my .Mac account to post password protected pages with Quicktime videos embedded so only those who I give the password to can view the videos or photos.

OR

Sign up for a Google G-mail account . With your Google account you can post videos , but mark the box that the video is "UNLISTED" and the address will not be published in Google (or other search engines) .

See here for info. on "Unlisted" video :

http://video.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=48320

Then you can send the URL to only those you want to see your video.

I wish more magicians would think like you. Too much stuff posted on YouTube invites exposure,
either through repeated viewings over and over until people have figured it out , or from jerks who have nothing better to do than to post exposures in the comments below the video.

(but all magicians should be aware that you can easily disable comments in your YouTube preferences, or make the comments subject to "By Approval Only" , so you get to approve any comment before it is posted, that way you can weed out idiots who are posting exposures or offers to "trade" secrets. I can't believe how many magicians post stuff on YouTube and then never bother to check back to read or edit the comments. There are various magic videos posted on YouTube that have hundreds of comments below the video openly discussing the method or inviting people to send a PM to the exposer who will gladly send them the method or trade them the method for other tricks. All can be solved by enabling the "Comments by Approval Only" button in the preferences in your YouTube account . )
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Thanks for the guidance. I have gmail account, so I'll try that way first.

My main reason for not wanting to publicly share all my video is that my audiences watch my youtube videos pretty frequently, so I only want my professional performances up there, not everything I videotape. By the time my clips go up on youtube, I've spent about 2 months editing them.

Thanks again for the guidance.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The other thing to remember is that if you have your videos posted on Google Video as UNLISTED you can still copy and paste the Embed code of the video to a password protected part of your website, so all your videos of a certain category (stage, close-up, corporate, private party walk-around , whatever) could be embedded on a various sub-pages within your password protected area on your web site.

Another service I like is Revver.com. On Revver you can choose the option to have the video "Offline" which means it will not appear in search engines and won't be viewable normally on the Revver site, but you can take the Embed code of your vid posted on Revver and embed the video into a password-protected section of your website. I like Revver because they allow the video to be posted in higher-quality Quicktime movie format. (YouTube and Google only allow the movie as a Flash video file and the quality is not as good)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Where to post video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL