The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My first set of cups and Tommy Wonder's Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I've practiced cups and balls before with cheaper sets of cups for cups and balls before. I mostly practiced Johnny Thomson's routine on his videos. Anyway I decided to get a set of good cups and my plan is to learn Tommy Wonder's Two Cup Routine. In the book he says he uses Paul Fox cups, but he also says that any cup will do. Therefore I'm wondering what set would be best (that are not extremely expensive) since both pompoms have to be able to fit into them. Johnsons are decently priced and are quite popular. Any thoughts?
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Johnson's are good, RNT2 is selling a ton of stuff at some great prices, all their stuff is good. There are tons of threads on here about this kind of thing if you do a search you'll find all sorts of reccommendations.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You sound like you're serious. Johnson's are nice, but maybe you should look at some fancier ones. There are some pretty nice used sets going around right now (Thanks to the economy Smile).
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
http://www.rnt.com

Get spun cups. They have a soul. CNC machined cups, for me, are missing something. Tell Jake you want to do Wonder's routine. He will be able to advise you on which set is best.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
More important than the cups for Tommy's routine are the balls and bag. I have plans to learn it, but am stalled on the person making them. I think Jake may have stated on another thread that the Shibby cups would work well for Tommy's routine.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Kent forgot the 2, it's

http://www.rnt2.com

unless of course you're also interested in managing your assetts Smile

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
There was a 2 cup set of the Shibby cups available for a while but it's been moved to the "archives" section of rnt2.com. The Shibby cups look great, plus since it was a 2 cup set it was cheaper than a 3 cup set. Nice set for less! If you ask one of the folks at rnt2 you might be lucky and be able to get a 2 cup deal?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
MajikAbra,

Good catch, thank you for steering properly!

Magicians helping magicians . . . learn to type correctly!
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Not that you have to go the same route, but when Tommy sold a limited number of sets for his routine (including the bag and pompoms) he sold them with Morrissey cups (www.morrisseymagic.com)
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 01:27, pepka wrote:
More important than the cups for Tommy's routine are the balls and bag. I have plans to learn it, but am stalled on the person making them.

The Pompoms... definitely the key to the whole thing. Almost any cups will work, as long as the balls fit according to the description in Tommy Wonder's routine. I used a set of Morrissey Minis when the lecture notes on this routine first came out. I already had them, and made the balls to fit the cups.

Pepka,

Just make them yourself. It's a lot easier than you might think.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am presently in the same situation. Now I have the cups. James Tong is custom making by bag and pom pom. http://www.uniquemagicballs.com
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Yeah making the balls won't be a problem. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get cups that were too small and would take away from the overall effectiveness of the routine.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Get into the routine. It's a good idea to start with Tommy's routine instead of starting, like most of us, with Vernon or Michael Ammar. You will contribute to diversity.
Let not the cup question distract you, the routine is about focusing attention and misdirection.
I wish that there would be some other beginners at the cups and balls starting with Sam Leo Horowitz's routine (In Garcia's book), or Aldo Colombini (the Fabian routine printed at many places), or Dick Biow (The Sponge Ball King's Cups and Balls) or Kent Gunn (Fun Shop) or Doug Peters routine.

Even though creating a caracter and an original script is more important than the routine, I tend to think that starting at some different sources increases the creativity in the community.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think that is good advice and suggest to many the Johnny Paul Routine would set them apart from the herd.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Hi Pete
Your point is illustrated, as usual, with a very well picked example since Johnny Paul made, as you know, an extremely entertaining and personal presentation of Jim Ryan's technically original routine (in print, when, to my knowledge, Johnny Paul's routine can only be seen in performance on Joe and Amy Stevens video without full explanations)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
There is a full explanation of Johnny's routine on the Stevens video.
It was reissued on the Teach in Session video on the Cups and Balls 1997.
Perhaps I am mis reading your post Lawrence..do you mean that Jim Ryan's routine was in print before Johhny Paul's was on video? Or Do you mean that Johhny Paul was performing a version of the Jim Ryan Routine?

Thanks,
Mobius
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 16:26, Lawrence O wrote:
Get into the routine. It's a good idea to start with Tommy's routine instead of starting, like most of us, with Vernon or Michael Ammar. You will contribute to diversity.

Tommy's routine is an unparalleled fusion of routining and design. Watching Tommy perform it is like watching poetry in motion.

That being said, it's an awful routine to start with. First, the balls required for the size of the cup (you know what that means if you've read the routine) are quite large and difficult to manipulate. The major effects rely on strong misdirection and when you get caught... you get caught big time.

It's safe to say that the routine is beyond the technical and presentational ability of 99.9% of magicians. To use it as a starting routine is to set yourself up for tremendous disappointment.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I belive johnny paul has been in more than one video, I have not seen all, however in the Cups & Balls Greater Magic Teach In DVD # 1 There is a full explanation.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 16:26, Lawrence O wrote:
Let not the cup question distract you, the routine is about focusing attention and misdirection.
I wish that there would be some other beginners at the cups and balls starting with ...Kent Gunn (Fun Shop)...

I agree with your thinking. But, Kent Gunn's routine is not well suited for a beginner. And the prop selection is critical to his routine.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I have experience with cups and balls and I'm not at all afraid to try anything new and I can handle that. That being said, going into my question, I got some Paul Fox style cups today and they're great. Just working on getting the right size balls made and I ordered the Tarbell rope gimmick also. I should have this routine rolling soon. Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My first set of cups and Tommy Wonder's Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL