The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My first set of cups and Tommy Wonder's Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
There wouldn't be many people selling balls suitable for the Fun Shop routine either. Maybe rnt2 and uniqueballs?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 21:45, Mobius303 wrote:
There is a full explanation of Johnny's routine on the Stevens video.
It was reissued on the Teach in Session video on the Cups and Balls 1997.
Perhaps I am mis reading your post Lawrence..do you mean that Jim Ryan's routine was in print before Johhny Paul's was on video? Or Do you mean that Johhny Paul was performing a version of the Jim Ryan Routine?

Thanks,
Mobius

I don't remember the answer to your question [I'm almost sure that Jim Ryan's routine was in print before] and since Johnny Paul as well as Jim Ryan were performing their routines for years before Joe Stevens picked up Johnny's one for his Greater Magic Video Series it would not be significant to discover if the Ryan routine was printed a couple of years before. It may well be that they both agreed about it since Johnny's routine showcasts his generous personnality so well
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
According to my notes Jim Ryan's routine was first published in 1926
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Both Ryan and Paul were Chicago bar magicians... and I have no idea who was first. Wish I knew. However, both were terrific performers and much can be learned from their work. The Johnny Paul video teach in is priceless to see what can be done with his handling.

Again, if you learn this routine, it is perfect when the conditions are right.

(blatant plug: You can still buy the JP cups from http://www.stevensmagic.com )
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 22:07, James Alan wrote:

Tommy's routine is an unparalleled fusion of routining and design. Watching Tommy perform it is like watching poetry in motion.

It's safe to say that the routine is beyond the technical and presentational ability of 99.9% of magicians. To use it as a starting routine is to set yourself up for tremendous disappointment.

Tommy was really a good friend and I love his routine as much as you do. I think however that his routine is not any less forgiving than any other one.
I have a policy to never discourage any magician and believe me, his C&Bs routine is much easier than his coin routine. I'm afraid that your comment results from the fame of the routine.
I have several ideas to adapt Tommy's routine to other performers.
I'll give you the most simple one: use combo cups...
I could make other suggestions but it's better to let everyone imagination fly freely.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I obtained one of the sets Tommy sold from Mike Henkel. I e-mailed Tommy about the cups because they appeared to be Morrissey cups. He said that's exactly what they were. He chose them because the height to mouth diameter ratio was just about perfect for the routine, and because they were rather inexpensive.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 17:25, Lawrence O wrote:

Tommy was really a good friend and I love his routine as much as you do. I think however that his routine is not any less forgiving than any other one.
I have a policy to never discourage any magician and believe me, his C&Bs routine is much easier than his coin routine. I'm afraid that your comment results from the fame of the routine.

Actually, my opinion comes from taking the time to make the balls, knit the bag, walking down the street to Morrissey's to get the cups and spending about 8 months practicing it daily.

Magic relying abundantly on misdirection may seem simple on the surface, but is very easy to butcher. Improperly performed, a sophisticated audience will eat you alive.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Which coin routine are you talking about?
James Alan

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 21:02, James Alan wrote:
Which coin routine are you talking about?

Your question makes a lot of sense
I was not speaking of counterfeit coins which is very easy but about Coins Across And Back With Interlude, which requires more experience with coins.
Sorry I should have been more precise.
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I love that coin routine. It's a marvelous lesson in "natural misdirection" - the routine is so well sequenced both in terms of method and psychology that you simply have to do the moves as described and the misdirection actually looks after itself. Excluding the optional climax (which I can't do since I wear glasses) the most difficult move is to drop coins singly from the classic palm.

Originally, after I'd been studying the routine for about a month, before I started performing it, Juan Tamariz was lecturing and I wanted to ask him about the background behind some of the techniques (since they were supposed to have originated in a publication of his in Spanish). He asked me to show him the routine, and pieces of it fooled him (!). Of course I'm the first to admit that this had little to do with my actual skill and everything to do with Tommy's structure.
James Alan

plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Yes, to repeat, the cups are Morrissey. You can tell from the illustrations in the book. As nice as they are, the PF cups will be hard to make or find the right balls for. Just as Bill was saying, the mouth to hight ratio.

By way of beaking into the effects, I wonder if it's possible to place one or two of the efects into a more standard routine. So, given a good audience, you could get the kind of practice that counts.

Who said, "We practice/master our craft to a mirror but our art to an audience." ??
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not me.... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My first set of cups and Tommy Wonder's Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL