The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Favorite effects from The special (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
magicofms
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh Pa
57 Posts

Profile of magicofms
What about the Bullet Catch? Was it meant to be magic, a stunt or an illusion--I was a bit confused.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Thanks Dizzidiz. Pretty impressive then that the remaining cards are the right suit, and can be inspected. No magician's force used either. Look forward to hearing about this one when it is released. Very nice effect.
MagicOfT
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
141 Posts

Profile of MagicOfT
Isn't Cory Chapin releasing that bill effect with the spectators face.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yes...he is.

Nathan
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I loved the moving ink on the spectator's palm. That to me was very magical.
Brian
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
No worse than Murphy's, Ellusionist, MJM, Penguin, Theory11, etc all putting up a list of exactly what to buy and for how much. It's not a big deal. If someone finds THIS particular thread, let 'em be.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
All the people named are marketing that information at magicians and people who have actually found them and they made the effort to sign up for mailings. You are just handing it out to google search ads. Why buy the stuff if everyone you want to perform it for can just do a google search and find you posting about it here? Like they say if you want to really get a secret out just tell a magician. You guys live up to the code..............in a very negative way.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
LBP magic says......"This is a pathetic thread. Do you know how many people today are searching for Davids secrets and you guys are just lined up here handing it out. Nice work."

Are you kidding? David's "secrets" are marketed effects that we are discussing. Most probably own many of them. His show brought some interest, for magicians, to some new effects and some reminders of how good some older effects are. What the heck is wrong with reviewing that?
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
"Pathetic losers".....Pretty mature buddy. This is a forum for discussions, not immature name calling. Grow up kid.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Lit is up for pre sale. We did the editing and a small amount of the filming.
P3
practice practice perform.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I can tell you that anything David does can be done live... sometimes he changes it slightly to make it look better in person but he can and does do the stuff live.

I have gotten to know David pretty well and it just drives me crazy when I hear the subtle slams on him (it has gotten much less). If every magician could get the reactions he does and make people believe what they were seeing is real like David can, it would bring a whole new respect for magic. I had dinner in Vegas with David and Cyril and later the head chef and some of the staff asked David to do some magic David did a simple ambitious card routine and Quantum Bender and BLEW them away. I thought a LOT about that experience later. Some people do not understand how calculated and well thought out David is just because he is quiet and does not spout on about his own brilliance. But make NO mistake about it - he is brilliant.

David doesn't get in the way of his magic. He doesn't hide behind stupid stories that no one believes in, he doesn't hide behind jokes. He realizes it is better to shut up and not give some patter no one buys. Is lack of patter IS presentation. He is acutely aware of every action, every word, every look, etc. David is truly a genius and probably understands magic better than almost anyone I know. When he talks I listen very carefully as he is usually right. When people see David perform they think they have seen the REAL thing. Even when I saw him perform live at dinner it was amazing how strong the reactions were. I talked with Paul Harris about it later to try to understand it and I asked Paul if the reactions were because David was a celebrity. Paul advised it was not... that even prior to David's specials David just understood what played, how to play it, and how to maximize the magic. So, we as magicians may undermine him as WE know the work on his ambitious card routine or his coin bend or such, but I can assure you that 99.999% of us cannot get the reactions he gets (long term). Think about it... how often when you tell people that you are a magician do they ask you about David Blaine or the guy who does the street magic or the guy who levitates up in the street... that is 10 years after the fact. I think instead of cutting the guy down in our own jealousy (it's way less than it used to be as mentioned) we should examine HOW and WHY he plays so strong as lessons for US. David Blaine has changed magic more than any other magician in history period. If he can do that with biting quarter and the The Balducci Levitation more power to him and it is something WE should be looking at.

Just to answer a few questions...
- the spinning quarter thing does use Kronos but it is modified. We took it down as I am not sure if it will work as it now exists though I believe Yves is releasing the modified Kronos.
- the lottery ticket effect is not out but there is talk. It will be very expensive but is REALLY good both in effect and in method. It's as clean as you saw. No stooges, no nothing.
- the cap in bottle was not Prohibition but close. Prohibition is excellent and very practical.
- the exploding bottle was the Devil's Bottle - it is a rather costly item and a real show piece- not something you can do table to table as it takes some real work. It's great though.
- David uses Lit and Compression all of the time non stooged. As mentioned above, in doing things on TV you have to change certain things to achieve maximum effect but David does this stuff live.
- Several people have played with the fine print idea including Sankey as mentioned. David had this printed on his new Split Spade Lion cards. The idea goes way back and has been used by a number of people including Weber, Sankey, etc.
-LBP - I think it is better that the creator get credit, money, and recognition for their items than some rip off. I can assure you when David does something on TV people will capitalize on it. This is precisely what happened, as an example, with Healed and Sealed. David did it on TV and instantly people started working out possible methods and putting them out. This left the creator Anders Moden in the dust with no recognition, no money from his creation, etc. We worked with Anders to correct this and get the original out so he could get his due credit. How many people will start working on the Lotto effect as an example without asking David or his crew. So the creators loose out if they don't do something. David INSPIRES people. David wants the creators to get their due credit. I respectfully disagree that it is a bad thing to point out the item so that the artist gets credit and the serious student of magic gets the accurate info. Look at all of the questions here from well informed magicians. I think one is living in fantasy land if you think the info is not out there. So we are trying to steer to the RIGHT info. Anyone can grab some paint and a canvas and try to paint a picture- it's not necessarily art... but a true artist who has studied, practiced, etc. can take paint and a canvas and create a masterpiece. So the secrets are truly out there. It is what we do with them. Many laymen are familiar unfortunately with cigarette through quarter but if you see someone like David do it they will believe they saw real magic.
- the mismade bill is an idea of Andrew Gerard's and will be released in several weeks I believe. I believe Dan White, Doug McKenzie, and Dan Garcia changed Andrew's handling though.
- Theory 11 will release the ink effect exactly as it was done. It is brilliant.
- Ellusionist is the source for Fraud by Dan Garcia and it is a true classic.
- Some items such as the dart effect will most likely never be released.
- Paper Crane did the editing and authoring on Lit and Compression and did a superb job as usual. The Lit DVD has a few GREAT bonus items using matches and Compression includes (I believe) some GREAT versions of the Anniversary Waltz effect that are awesome. The bonus effects could all easily be their own releases.

Hope that helps.

Tim
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 00:02, Tim Trono wrote:

-LBP - I think it is better that the creator get credit, money, and recognition for their items than some rip off. I can assure you when David does something on TV people will capitalize on it. This is precisely what happened, as an example, with Healed and Sealed. David did it on TV and instantly people started working out possible methods and putting them out. This left the creator Anders Moden in the dust with no recognition, no money from his creation, etc. We worked with Anders to correct this and get the original out so he could get his due credit. How many people will start working on the Lotto effect as an example without asking David or his crew. So the creators loose out if they don't do something. David INSPIRES people. David wants the creators to get their due credit. I respectfully disagree that it is a bad thing to point out the item so that the artist gets credit and the serious student of magic gets the accurate info. Look at all of the questions here from well informed magicians. I think one is living in fantasy land if you think the info is not out there. So we are trying to steer to the RIGHT info. Anyone can grab some paint and a canvas and try to paint a picture- it's not necessarily art... but a true artist who has studied, practiced, etc. can take paint and a canvas and create a masterpiece. So the secrets are truly out there. It is what we do with them. Many laymen are familiar unfortunately with cigarette through quarter but if you see someone like David do it they will believe they saw real magic.

Hope that helps.

Tim

I am all for the person that created the effect getting credit and whatever money they have earned. Its not about that. Its about wannabe online magicians that are so much better than Blaine, but yet the best they can pull off is getting his effects and going to youtube and showing everyone how smart they are that they can show you how it is done. Sadly I think this thread is full of those people.

Tim I think your post was great. I personally believe David has done more for magic than anyone living today (that is saying A LOT). Its funny how someone that says so little can be so strong. He learned a very valuable lesson long long ago.

Thanks again Tim.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I'd agree that it is shameful for open exposure on Youtube or such. It just cheapens what we do. Quite honestly there is just NO reason for it. But I don't know if I'd assume that this is the same people doing that. My guess is that this is magicians who liked or loved the special wanting to find out facts, find out precisely what they saw. I want to ensure people get the accurate information. I appreciate your concern though. I'm watching the special again now. It's great. I am not a big fan of the stunts but understand exactly why David is doing them. But I think the magic has such long lasting impact. I believe Jason Messina is writing an essay examining David, his magic, and why he gets the impact he does. I hope that people really look closely at what he does as an example.

Watch the Reel Magic interview with Paul Harris (Vol.1) - Paul brings up some great points about all of this and I am pretty sure some of this made the final cut (the idea of shutting up, the idea of conversational performance, discussion about new technology where knuckle busting sleight of hand is not what is required but certainly can provide a sense of self mastery, etc.).

Thanks.

Tim
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Tim. Thanks for your thoughts and the information you provided. I think DB is getting more appreciated over time and he himself has matured. I personaly like his style for close up and sleight of hand and also could live without the stunts. Unfortunately, people tuned in for the stunts but they then got a chance to see some nice magic.

Regarding this thread being full of "You Tube exposers", per Mr. LBP, I don't believe that is the case. Many of the posters here are long time members who have contributed to the Café in a positive way. I myself am a hobbyist/amateur of 30+ years, with no premeditated plan to gain knowledge for the purpose of exposure. I have supported creators, buying effects, books, DVD's, etc. for many years and try to represent magic in a positive way to promote the good of the art. I abhor the exposure from untalented, unprepared, unappreciative individuals.

Thanks again for the detailed info and for sharing your thoughts.

Mike
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Tim thanks for your thoughts and info.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 08:47, MSD921 wrote:
Tim. Thanks for your thoughts and the information you provided. I think DB is getting more appreciated over time and he himself has matured. I personaly like his style for close up and sleight of hand and also could live without the stunts. Unfortunately, people tuned in for the stunts but they then got a chance to see some nice magic.

Regarding this thread being full of "You Tube exposers", per Mr. LBP, I don't believe that is the case. Many of the posters here are long time members who have contributed to the Café in a positive way. I myself am a hobbyist/amateur of 30+ years, with no premeditated plan to gain knowledge for the purpose of exposure. I have supported creators, buying effects, books, DVD's, etc. for many years and try to represent magic in a positive way to promote the good of the art. I abhor the exposure from untalented, unprepared, unappreciative individuals.

Thanks again for the detailed info and for sharing your thoughts.

Mike

I wasnt talking about the people typing. I was speaking of the people reading that you are helping.
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of booswain
I certainly appreciate the information about the tricks...no one told how to do the tricks...because of the special I am purchasing the Book Card Fictions...to learn some new tricks..if anything this thread is helping magicians and the creators of fine magic
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 01:49, LBP MAGIC wrote:
I personally believe David has done more for magic than anyone living today (that is saying A LOT).

More for magic than anyone living today??? You must be very young my friend. Ever heard of Mark Wilson? How about Paul Harris?...shall I go on?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Thanks, Tim. I appreciate getting the facts from someone in the know. This "frenzy" happens after every Blaine special - magician's wanting to know if they can perform what they saw on TV. I guess I'm one of them. I'm particularly interested in the lottery trick if it can really be done without stooges or assistants. I hope Murphy's is pursuing this even if it is expensive.

Robert
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 02:55, Tim Trono wrote: Watch the Reel Magic interview with Paul Harris (Vol.1) - Paul brings up some great points about all of this and I am pretty sure some of this made the final cut (the idea of shutting up, the idea of conversational performance, discussion about new technology where knuckle busting sleight of hand is not what is required but certainly can provide a sense of self mastery, etc.).

Thanks.

Tim

I'm glad Tim brought up the Reel Magic Issue #1 Interview with Paul Harris. Right before that issue came out, I took a trip along the Pacific Coast Highway with an ex of mine. We were in Monterrey, on the wharf, having dinner and right after we ordered and were having a drink, I wanted to show her an effect as I hadn't seen her in about 4 years and she had been asking me.

So I did and she said she didn't have a clue ho it was done. But she was laughing. I asked her why. She said it's because she always knows when I'm going to do a trick.

I said that's pretty easy as the cards or coins in my hands are dead giveaways. She said she knows before I even take them out. It's because she can tell when I talk I'm making stuff up. She, not knowing the term, was referring to patter. I of course defended it, why I do it, etc.

Then the Reel magic issue was delivered and I watched Paul and he addressed exactly what Sue was trying to tell me. I can't tell you how many time I've watched that issue and once again Paul Harris has helped me improve what I'm doing as a performer.

I won't talk about it as I think everyone should watch it for themselves, but it had to do with not using patter,being quiet and specifically when showing something to someone you know.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Favorite effects from The special (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL