We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Selling after Busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A good income can come from busking. But what about selling a Svengali Deck after passing the hat? I have Driver's DVD, "Svengali Pitch." Do you think it will create more of an income? If so, do you think it will be worth selling? Or do you think it would be better to sell a different magic trick after busking?
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
Check out Tom Frank's blog, he combines the two.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I have been to Don's lectures and his approach is to pitch the deck AS the busking show... doing effects all while building the closer pitch.

He does a very quick crowd build technique - right into the Svengali pitch for about 5 mins then pushes for the money... rinses and repeats.

Turns crowds about 3 to 4 times an hour and claims to make SERIOUS money doing so.

Denny of Denny & Lees in Baltimore hosted one fo the lectures, and Denny pretty much endorsed what Don said and claimed.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
The only issue with selling stuff after your act is that that would fall under commerce and you'd most definitely need a license to sell on the street. Street Vendor’s like the Hot Dog guy or the Pretzel guy pay a nice fee to Uncle Sam for the privilege of hocking their wares.
Now don’t get me wrong, you can do it without a license, but if you get caught, the fine is a lot more than the license.

Just my $.02
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
As a showman, everything should be larger than life - the audience should be thinking you are doing very difficult things and doing them with great ease.

As a salesman, everything should be simple and easy - the audience should feel they can go home and do everything you are doing.

The two do not mix very well. If your going to do a show, do a show. If your going to pitch magic, pitch magic.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I agree with joejoe, than again guys like tom frank can pull it off.. so theres an exception to every rule ..

mmreed, I've made money pitching decks in flea markets thanks to Don Driver... I didn't make any money pitching decks on the street - I was too focused on busking.. It's one or the other, Like JoeJoe said the 2 don't mix well.. Also, Don Driver has never busked before.

-George
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have sold balloon sculptures my first time busking with magic. It was natural to me. It will not hurt if I try a Svengali decks.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
The problem I found with doing the balloon busking thing at the same time was that it trains them NOT to tip until they get a balloon, no matter how much they may enjoy the show. There's probably a way around that, but personally, I won't even bring balloons with me if my goal is to perform.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
David, I know what you are saying. That is why I never mention balloons until I get finish passing the hat. Usually there are kids who already dropped a tip still standing just watching. That is the time I bring up balloons can be purchased. At times a new group of kids stop by because they noticed the present kids are getting ballons.

A different day I tried giving out free balloons to the ones who donated a tip. That was too much for me.

I want to invest with different methods to find out as much as possible. I am going to try selling a magic trick next. Maybe it will fit me, maybe it won't. "You'll never know until you try."
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
One way around as a trader and busker thing, qwite simply is that it is a free gift for you voluntear. You teach the boy a qwik but effective trick with the pack.

Now in your hat lines you simply include any one that drops a 5 all 10 doller bill into my hat, I WILL GIVE YOU A PACK OF CARDS AS A FREE GIFT.
Mario
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 10:53, Mario Morris wrote:
Now in your hat lines you simply include any one that drops a 5 all 10 doller bill into my hat, I WILL GIVE YOU A PACK OF CARDS AS A FREE GIFT.
Mario

You just said the magic word. That is a great idea for timing as well. And you can mention it is "Magic Cards." I wonder why I did not think of that. Good look'n, dude.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Selling after Busking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL