The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Good books on Spirit Possessions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Anyone have some recommendations on books about being possessed by spirits?

I am not really looking for effects, just looking for information on what happens during and what people who are possessed can do. I want to create some presentations with this knowledge.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
POSSESSION, DEMONIACAL AND OTHER by T. K. Osterreich.

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GHOSTS AND SPIRITS, by Rosemary Ellen Guiley.

Ethnological sources, especially dealing with indigenous African religions and Caribbean religions.

SHAMANISM by Mircea Eliade and other works.

Several sources by Michael Harner dealing with shamanism.

Books dealing with Native American religions.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Thank you Bill. I will look into those books.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hanging Without a Rope, by Mary Margaret Steedly.

It's not as heavy on possession, as it is on cultural change among the Karo people of Sumatra. However, you get some very clear ideas of both ceremony and spirit communication. This format of possession tended to be a women's role, and there were many consistent practices throughout the area we now call Indonesia and the Philippines.

I've seen it described as "like wearing a shirt". One is ridden and enveloped by the spirit, usually a known ancestor.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Best site about how to get rid of spirits...

http://www.aa.org/?Media=PlayFlash
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Even as a recovering alcoholic myself; brother Chelman. I can see the humor of your post

Kotah - thirtynine years alcohol free

It is from my past from which many of the demons inmy tales are drawn upon.
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
These are classics:
Ecstatic Religion: An Anthropological Study of Spirit Possession and Shamanism by I. Lewis
The Infinite Boundary: A Psychic Look at Spirit Possession, Madness, and Multiple Personality by D. Scott Rogo

This is popular:
The Unquiet Dead : A Psychologist Works with Spirit Possession - Detecting and Removing Earthbound Spirits by Edith Fiore

These are more scientific:
Praising His Name In The Dance: Spirit Possession in the Spiritual Baptist Faith and Orisha Work in Trinidad, West Indies by Kenneth Lum
Obsession and Possession by Spirits Both Bood and Evil in Oriental and Occidental Spiritualism and Occultism among Primitive Races, in Antiquity the Middle Ages, and Modern Times by T. K. Oesterreich
Ceremonial Spirit Possession in Africa and Afro-America by Sheila S. Walker
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1345 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Well, my suggestion isn't exactly about *possession* per se, but it does deal with demonic *infestation*...

The Demonologist by Gerald Brittle. Excellent, if fanciful, book about the ghost hunters Ed and Lorraine Warren, who investigated the Amityville case, and others. When I read it as a kid, it scared the living spit out of me, especially the chapter and photos of Annabelle, the possessed doll. I have recreated the Annabelle spirit case, with an old Raggedy Ann doll in a display cabinet, with all the crosses and written warnings. I should post some photos. I have her rigged to move slightly, just as people are taking a close look.

It is a very entertaining book.

Seth
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
'Called to Heal' by Susan Campbell

-JF
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Good books on Spirit Possessions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL