The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Need Help With Lighting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
OK I have been performing for sometime now and when I do shows I am at the mercy of the stage, such as their lighting and people. I am trying to be a self contained unit, I have seen lighting done with a software program but I do not know the name and I have a big production and looking for recommened lighting to buy, and the most inportant of all: my budget is $11 grand.
Leo
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Are you looking for a general wash of lighting or fancy spinning twirling Robotic Lighting?

AC
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
The best bang for my buck, I know my budget is a bit small for someone that wants to travel with his own lighting because I will need a DMX board or software program to control the lighting.
Leo
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Software lighting is typically done with one of three major players in the game:
Hog PC
Light Jockey
CompuWare

Hog is the best, but is better suited for those that have a Whole Hog board. Light Jockey has been around a long time. Compuware by Elation has the best show control of the three, allowing you to add music and even video to your timeline and act as a true show control system.

One question before answering yours, would be what type of venue will you be in...and based on that will you need to to fly the lights with your gear or the venues? In a theatre you can use their fly's. In other venue you might need chain motors or ground supports. Either of these two will add increased price and will eat into your budget very quickly.

The software would run you around $1000 and of course you would need a computer to run it on. For effect lighting you also need a hazer so the effect lighting will be visible. If you're doing front wash lighting only, you will not need a hazer.

Depending on how many lights and wattage, you may need a PD Power Distro. Hopefully you won't need this right away, as they are not cheap and feeder cable is made of copper, which has been going up in price twice a day now.

On a side note, we are dealers for lighting, truss, rigging, etc. I don't want to turn this thread into a sales pitch, but if I can help you let me know.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Need Help With Lighting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL