The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I learnt so much (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Hey all
Just filmed myself performing the 1st stage of cups and balls, 3 tips,loads & vanishes.
1st time I filmed I tip from the side but I was exposing as I wasnt allowing my index and 3rd finger to come forward to hide the loads.
my f**** t******* was better than I thought which is good but I'm not fluid in doing a tranfer and going for the wand, kind or hesitating for some reason, maybe I forget whats next I'm not 100% sure why

2nd time I filmed myself I positioned the camera a little higher so it was looking down at a slight angle and done the 1st stage again and found the loads were better and didn't see any flashes of red and although I need to work on letting my hands flow rather than thinking whats next at least I know what needs working on.

Hopfully will keep practising and next time I film I will see the progress made
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
One thing that helped me was this simple observation:

Throw a bunch of pennies on the floor and start picking them up and putting them in your other hand. Where do you look? Do you focus directly on the coin you're picking up or where it's going? Or... do you "spot" the coin, pick it up, and almost unconsiously put it in the other hand as your eyes travel to the *next* coin?

This redirecting of your attention to the next task is pretty much what you do when you reach for your wand after a successful FT. You're thinking about what comes next, and psychologically so is your audience. They focus their attention on the wand so they can catch what you're going to do next, ignoring what you're doing *right now*.

Try it for yourself.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Purist,

You are so on the path!!!!!!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Keep going Purist, it's this attention to detail that separates the real performer from the kid with a magic kit who "thinks" he knows it because he fumbled through it once.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1157 Posts

Profile of APC
"Throw a bunch of pennies on the floor and start picking them up and putting them in your other hand. Where do you look? Do you focus directly on the coin you're picking up or where it's going? Or... do you "spot" the coin, pick it up, and almost unconsiously put it in the other hand as your eyes travel to the *next* coin?"

Dave that is a wonderful point - thanks! It really points out that as hard as we try, imitating a simple action is far from simple. We tend to over-complicate things, simplicity is key.

Adam
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Cheers guys,
Dave that is spot on, I'm watching my hands so spectators will watch my hand as well if I'm looking away so will they, I will practise that later

I've practised every kind of magic for a while and close up is my main love, now I'm sharing that love with cups and balls, its highly addictive, hopefully I will get it good over the next month and can look to creating some nice workers, 1 is stealing my daughters barbie and using little pills instead of balls, how barbie always puts her contraception ready to take it but she always forgets were she puts it, having final loads as little babies! adult parties only though, not for kids!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Learnt?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Learnt as in I had been practising incorrect loads/moves and I can now learn to do it properly, I wouldnt of realised had I of not watched myself on the camera
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
I think what Pete suggests is that "learnt" isn't a word, in the same way that it's incorrect in two ways to write, "I wouldn't of realised...."
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/f......?view=uk

Quote:
What is the difference between 'learnt' and 'learned'?

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well, you learn sumpin' new every day... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Sorry...Americo-centric, here.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I'm british english, learned just sounds wrong to us
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
We are still learning everyday and will continue to learn. The craft of magic is a continuing journey. As in life we cannot be fully matured. We grow in wisdom and experience everyday. Likewise in magic.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

My apologies, Purist; I misspoke.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Don't apologise, were all friends here
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Like language and grammar, magic is something which we continually learn. No matter how fluent we are with words (and I've got 20 books in print around the world), there's always something new to learn regarding usage, spelling, archaic words etc. Language is a muscle. Magic technique is similar in many ways...

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
So does anyone else film themselves for feedback?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Words like learnt and whilst sound strange to American ears. But we live and learn.

Purist, you are on the right track.

Dave -- that's a great exercise!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Daves exercise is one I will practise, probably been seen on Ammars dvds or in books but in those words its a million times simpler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I learnt so much (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL