The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » I promised myself I'd never do this... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Now, Herdman, I gotta agree with what you say! Everyone is gonna be shot dead by doing misdirection in front of a camera. Everyone will rewind and playback to catch you out! Editing seems reasonable after what you just said!
Best Regards,

Bob
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Basically I don't like the way he performs, since he doesn't use much presentation or patter.

If I am better than him, why didn't I have several TV show behind me? If one is a genius, have other knowledge and skills, does it mean he can be the president? No, not exactly. Therefore, there is always someone better than me, so to everyone else.

Hence, I do respect his business mind on how to turn small things into big impact, which I have never thought about. I just don't like to be compared like this.
Best Regards,

Bob
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Daniel, were you there when David Blaine looked like a puppet hanging from his wires before the balloons were released? He didn't consider every angle there. Also, his restroom breaks and checkups every hour made a lot of people disillusioned. David promised steak dinner but delivered a cheeseburger.

The rest of the special was really, really good, though. The ending broke my heart.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
I was not there for the live stunt... Unfortunately, I was stuck at home with a shattered heel bone, full leg atrophy, and a foot with NO FEELING in it.
Smile Smile Smile
hahaha

Thanks for the compliment... I think our team did a good job.


DG
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 21:33, Thomas Wayne wrote:

I have worked with a number of top magicians, and in so doing am always privy to the methods they use. Of all them, David Blaine is - by far - the most pure. Everything we discuss, every solution I might propose and every presentation suggested is overshadowed by one uncompromising principle: no stooges, no camera tricks and no fake reactions (that is, actors pretending to spectators).


So when Blaine did the Balducci, there were no camera tricks and no fake reactions?

How about that?
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-10-04 02:43, Rocketeer wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 21:33, Thomas Wayne wrote:

I have worked with a number of top magicians, and in so doing am always privy to the methods they use. Of all them, David Blaine is - by far - the most pure. Everything we discuss, every solution I might propose and every presentation suggested is overshadowed by one uncompromising principle: no stooges, no camera tricks and no fake reactions (that is, actors pretending to spectators).


So when Blaine did the Balducci, there were no camera tricks and no fake reactions?

How about that?



"How about that?" Wow. Is that a gotcha moment, "Rocketeer"? lol

I had nothing to do with earlier Blaine specials - I don't actually remember them much - and I am unaware of any of the levitations performed by David. Your confrontational approach, however, gives me the opportunity to say something I've been wanting to say to a good number of you "magicians" for a long time:

I find it totally amusing to watch the reactions of envious, insecure magicians when a new TV magic special first airs. If it's Criss Angel (whom I worked with during the first year's A&E run) they whine and moan about stooges and camera edits - complaining that he ruins magic by either: a) making audiences believe all magic is done with camera tricks, or b) presenting effects that are impossible for them to recreate at their next birthday party.

If it's David Copperfield they spew sour grapes about his expensive props, and posture about how they could do that too... if they just had his money.

And with David Blaine they grouse about how he's just doing regular old standbys, and marketed effects that practically anybody can do – plus the scarcity of his “patter”. Why, he’s nothing special; “Even I know how that trick’s done”, they think.

In my opinion, it all comes down to envy - pure and simple. No matter who the magician is, some percentage of these “magician” guys just can't stand the fact that someone else (besides them) is getting so much attention.

Anyone here can go into any karaoke bar in the world and sing any song they want to in public. So how come we don't have 1000's of Frank Sinatras and Bette Midlers running around? Because it's not the song, it's the singer that makes the difference. Tim Trono is right about David Blaine's brilliance, and there's not a single one of his critics here who's qualified to even carry David’s jock.

One last thing I will say about David that I think is worth noting. He exhibits a genuine joy in his magic – which is something we haven’t really seen in televised magic in a very long time. Just look at his face when a spectator reacts to one of his effects – he’s openly joyous about the obvious pleasure he’s brought to a total stranger. As far as I’m concerned, the last time we truly saw such a sincere enjoyment of the craft [from a televised performer] was Doug Henning!

Copperfield comes off as slick and aloof, with comedy and dialog that is quite obviously well written and rehearsed. Angel projects extreme GOTH/PUNK, but in kind of a wish-I-was-younger way – he’s in his mid-to-late 40’s, for crying out loud – and has twisted the art of magic into some dark, loud, head-banging mish-mash of obvious stooges and camera edits. But David Blaine, for all his minimalist, bare-bones performance style, is actually broadcasting a genuine joy about this art we love.

Frankly, all you critical “experts” might do well to pay attention and perhaps consider David a potential role model. We could do a lot worse.

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Quote:
On 2008-10-04 16:33, Thomas Wayne wrote:
In my opinion, it all comes down to envy - pure and simple. No matter who the magician is, some percentage of these “magician” guys just can't stand the fact that someone else (besides them) is getting so much attention.


Agreed. It's like a seesaw - when one side goes up, the other side goes down. When someone in the magic community goes up and has some success, there are some who feel diminished. Instead of being happy and supportive of the success, they try to find ways to pull the other guy down to prop themselves up.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
ElwoodBlues
View Profile
New user
Once a free trader on Bestine IV
17 Posts

Profile of ElwoodBlues
Still, David can do something most magicians can't dream of... Taking his shirt off on T.V.

:P
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2008-09-27 17:48, Brandon Queen wrote:
You can rewind, and replay Video in slow motion and watch every move over and over.
You can't do that with real life. That's why he hands someone a prop off camera, and then asks to borrow that very prop on camera. It's not cheating in anyway. It's to keep the secret, so you don't see him "switch" stuff out. It's just a form of pre-show. Those effects you mentioned can be performed for real people in real life, and have the exact same lasting effect.

I don't see anything wrong with the O'l, "ooh crap, lets start over, the cameras weren't rolling. Here.. put your dollar back in your pocket..."


I agree.... I would much rather it be handled the way DB did it than for the audience to be able to rewind and finally land on the "switch" etc. I don't care that he borrows a prop....

For instance, I perform fraud frequently (so to speak):)...and at dinner the other night my friend was talking about the trick "where the seal moved on a dollar bill"...(he saw DB do it). I borrowed a bill, did a switch and performed the effect. He didn't know I was going to do the effect...if he had my switch wouldn't have worked...In the end, in the specs mind I did the exact same effect and he was impressed. He told me later that he did indeed rewind the effect, and several others for that matter,(he's a bigger geek than I am) and couldn't figure out that bill trick... If DB had done a switch shown on camera he would undoubtedly have figured out the moment of that dirty work....

As it is...all was protected and I can't see why I would be bothered by the end result.

Interestingly, DB did another effect on his last special and I was fooled badly, even though I knew at least part of it... I rewound and was able to put it all together. I now do the effect. I went ahead and purchased it. Two reasons for this... one, I wanted to see if my method was exactly the same and two, the creator of the effect deserved it in my opinion. Frankly I wish they hadn't shot that particular effect the way they did, as a magician it was fairly easy to figure out...granted the layperson would have had a more difficult time putting it all together but there were moves that could be seen when studying the effect with the advantage of "pause and slo-motion"...They could've shot it in such a way as to better protect it and in my opinion it would have been a better way to go....

I did enjoy David's Magic.... I don't care much for the "stunts" but in my opinion he does some great magic.

Best,
Bobby
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
What is happening today a lot, Is if a magician or a spectator at home can't figure out a trick, We often just assume it is a camera trick due to the steryotype of the modern day TV magician. I remember in school one day I was performing an effect, And we got on this discussion of magic and a kid said out loud, "Yea what about Criss Angel, I saw on youtube how he does everything and it is all fake and camera tricks". Then of course the word is spread and soon everybody has seen how he does everything on TV and assume Blaine does the same.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 21:33, Thomas Wayne wrote:
One last thing I will say about David that I think is worth noting. He exhibits a genuine joy in his magic – which is something we haven’t really seen in televised magic in a very long time. Just look at his face when a spectator reacts to one of his effects – he’s openly joyous about the obvious pleasure he’s brought to a total stranger. As far as I’m concerned, the last time we truly saw such a sincere enjoyment of the craft [from a televised performer] was Doug Henning!

Thomas Wayne


That is really one of the main reasons that my friends LOVE watching David. It is really about liking what you are doing, and those around you know it. First time a good friend, Felix, saw David, she said something similar to: "This guy knows people!" And it was because he interacted with them, and they liked him. I think the joy part is so crucial.

I am finding similar joy reading John Carney's Secrets, and the questions he poses to get us thinking for ourselves. Giddy is more like it.

RevJohn
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 21:53, magicman4646 wrote:
I don't understand. When he did Fraud, he used a borrowed bill, no switches. There must be a stooge.



I think a missing point is most magicians would not have the resources to pull such a thing off in that manner. If your living depends on you performing it would seem to me to be quite difficult for example to spend the day loading people up with gaffus unknown to them to boost your later performance.... and I'm doubting any client other then a television special is going to pay you for the time involved.

I say this, because its implied this lack of "out of the box" thing is on part of the "lazy magician community" but that's not really true. I know I have talked to a lot of people who have had ideas like that but its never feaseable to really do them.

So is the lack of out of the box thinking the magicians fault or the unappreciative audience? Because lets face it.... pre-planted or switched they don't know the pre-work involved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » I promised myself I'd never do this... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL