The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Kevin James' Bowling Ball Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Do you think it is a great opener?
Would like to know more condition before buying it~ Has anyone bought it?
Could you please possibly give me some review??
Thanks a lot and a lot!

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
550 Posts

Profile of KC
This may seem off-topic, I haven't bought or seen the Kevin James version, but everyone seems to rave about the Andrew Mayne Bowling Ball production on his Shock-FX video ( http://www.weirdthings.com ) There should be a downloadable promo video.

K.C.
magickeel
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magickeel
cardfreak......I have the Kevin James Bowlarama and love it. It is the best bowling ball production in my opinion...the audience goes crazy. I got mine from http://www.magiciansgallery.com. They had it on sale a little while back, I'm not sure if they still do. It's worth a phone call to check, as it is a bit pricy, but worth it. Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Yes. I think Andrew Mayne's in no way compares to Kevin James' bowling ball production. But the latter is a little pricy. All of Kevin James' items are a little bit.

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
I've seen it on a TV show - Kevin did this trick himself, and it was 100% great!!

Although I think it's not my style, nor do I have the money for it.
Jonatan Bank
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi Jonatan,
You are so young. lol

How is it so expensive? I know it comes with a bowling ball, gimmicked pad, ungimmicked pad, gimmick, marker and video. But still, I think it is rather expensive for what it is. Besides, it is only a matter of seconds until the effect is over. But hey, I LOVE it!!!

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Andrew's effect only costs about 10 bucks if you know the right places to look. If I were you, Niva, I would go for Andrew's trick. Why spend so much money?
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Tor Egil, there are totally 2 different things... if I just want to have fun, of course I won't spend so much money for that 10 seconds~ Haha!! I know the Andrew version, but haven't tried it yet.

So, magickeel, could you please tell me more about the condition? For example, do I have to do it as the opener? Or, do I have to go up on stage HOLDING the pad?

Thanks a lot my friends!! Smile

Michael Lam
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Yes, I think it is best to do it first thing as an opener.

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I saw Kevin do it live this past weekend at the Hank Lee Conclave, and it was terrific. I know the Mayne version, and I would have to describe it as a cute idea. I can't imagine that it would have the same impact as the James version.
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I will stick to Andrew Mayne's version of bowling ball production..

Take Mayne's idea and modify it and voila, you have your own version of Drawing pad bowling bowl production...

Using most of Mayne's production/illusion enables you to do some fantastic stuff at your own orginal idea.

Well, that depends on your creativity so start cracking your head and get brain storming..

Symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1091 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Michael, you walk on stage carrying a pad, very nonchalantly. You don't have to do it as an opener, but it looks better, more natural, carrying the pad as you're walking as the curtains open, for example.

You flip open the pad, draw a bowling ball with the words "Bowling Ball", close the pad, hold it sideways, then whenever you want, a real bowling ball drops from within. Then you flip open the pad and the picture of the bowling ball that was once there is now gone, only the words remaining.

It has the essence of Cardiographic in it, and that just has a way of wowing audiences. But it's not for a casual performance. It's a real attention getter.

Andrew Mayne's is great and although similar in concept, the fact that you're producing it from an apparently empty bag has an entirely different outcome.

There's something about Kevin's that is more believable (maybe it's the drawing) and more astounding, and less reconstructable.

People think, "But it couldn't have been in the pad or he would not have been so nonchalant with it" or something to that effect. They incorrectly associate the noise and/or the action of the ball dropping and hitting the stage with a very IMMENSE weight.

Brian
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1801 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I think it ( the Kevin James version ) is way overpriced for what you get, but again for a working magician it is probably money well spent.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2003-04-15 20:21, bekralik wrote:

There's something about Kevin's that is more believable (maybe it's the drawing)

I think it is the fact that you don't actually show the "empty" bag to the audience. The first thing that comes to their mind is, "why didn't he show it to us too, if it is really empty?" Perhaps the acting and presentation has to be a little different. I mean not over doing the fact that it is empty. You would come on stage, pick up the bag, put your hands inside as if looking for something. It is not there. You look around, as maybe you have dropped it. At the same time you shake the bag upside down, unintentionally. Take a last look inside and then you drop the ball. The psychology here is different. The way Andrew does it is more like saying "Look nothing inside the bag!". The way I just described would be more like you lost something and if the acting is good enough the audiences will take it automatically that the bag is empty.

I hope I made my point clear Smile

Well see you. And look out for your feet when you do any of these effects. Smile

Ivan Smile

PS: Is Shock FX on DVD or VHS?

Thanks again.

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Yes. It's on DVD.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Yes, I think Kevin's one is suitable, but I am thinking of the price. Does anyone know some openers which would be great also? Thanks a lot, too!

Michael Lam
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Quote:
On 2003-04-14 13:03, niva wrote:
Hi Jonatan,
You are so young. lol

How is it so expensive? I know it comes with a bowling ball, gimmicked pad, ungimmicked pad, gimmick, marker and video. But still, I think it is rather expensive for what it is. Besides, it is only a matter of seconds until the effect is over. But hey, I LOVE it!!!

Ivan Smile

Young, yeah-. I am only 16, 17 in one month (old pic). But I still want to do magic.

I think that to sell this effect, you really need to surprise them (Have you seen Kevin do this trick ?) Smile
Jonatan Bank
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Yes I did, but on a video, and not live.

I don't think it is that difficult to surprise them with this one. The appearance of a real bowling ball from within the pages of a drawing pad SHOCKED me the first I saw it. (Which is also another thing which makes it different from Andrew Mayne's) I was in the beginning of magic at that time and I was so amazed that now it is one of my ambitions to buy this one day and perform it on stage. It is so cool!!

As for other openers, it depends on the kind of performance you are trying to put up. One that comes to mind just now is Peter Loughran's Ultimate Cane. Peter is also a member of the Café, as you might have already noticed.

For an opener always keep in mind that it has to be as short as possible and something that leaves an impression. Smile Kevin's Bowling Ball production is one of the best out there.

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
magickeel
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magickeel
As I said earlier I have this effect and have seen Kevin James use it, it's wonderful. I just used again tonight in a show and the audience was floored. I totally recommend this illusion to anyone who can afford. Also as I said earlier I got mine from http://www.magiciansgallery.com who had it on sale, and I think they still do.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
I do not think they have it anymore. I gave the site a search, but nothing!! Smile

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Kevin James' Bowling Ball Production (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL