We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Routining My Act -- Feedback Wanted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
248 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I'm dragging a big toolbox around with a *bunch* of magic props, and a little toolbox with enough stuff to do a complete hour-long show (or more).

But I still can't figure out what will make a good show for the street (and me).

I'll spell out what direction I'm thinking and you can tell me whether you think I'm on the right track or not.

I plan to build my tip by doing a 3-ball juggling routine -- mostly just barely starting to do a trick and then stopping while encouraging people to watch the best "Magic Juggling Show" they'll ever see today -- this is where I'll talk about what's coming up in the show. When I get a few people together my daughter and I will do a "anything you can do, I can do better" kind of juggling routine. It uses balls, rings and clubs and includes some quick passing of clubs.

If my daughter's not in that show, I'll do the "Caveman Routine" that I learned about 30 years ago. It's a "crowd pleaser." =:)

(Note: I'm planning on allowing my two kids to be in every show. But if they're acting like buttheads, or are on restriction (maybe because they were acting like buttheads earlier), I plan on having alternate tricks available so I can do a complete solo act if necessary.)

After that I'll mention the world's most dangerous juggling trick coming up, and then switch to magic and Brother Paul's Street Rope Trick.

If my son is in the show, at this point he'll do a trick, either Card Warp using jumbo playing cards, or maybe the Siberian Chain Escape -- we're still trying to pick something (magic) for this spot. If it's a solo show, I'll do the trick.

Before doing the World's Most Dangerous juggling trick I'll show one of the classics of magic, the cups and balls, But since I like the idea of simplifying my life, I'll do it with just one cup -- and do a chop cup routine. Probably no hat load (and least initially), just a double load in the cup at the end.

Finally, time for the finale -- eating an apple while juggling (I'll probably make the apple one of the chop cup final loads).

How is that trick dangerous?

I'll be eating very quickly and since I'm a *very* large guy, if I happen to choke there's no way someone could reach around me to do the Heimlich Maneuver. So this trick is a death-defying act. However, in the case of actual choking, if the person with the longest arms could at least *try* to make it work, my children and I would appreciate it.

(I think this trick here with that joke *should* work, but I think I'll have to try it to know for sure.)

I eat the apple while juggling (which, for some really strange reason, people love) and then my kids join me, one on either side, and we do 5 quick hat tricks in unison, and end holding the hats out for people to contribute. Three hats, no waiting!

So, that's what I'm thinking of right now. Subject to change, of course, but I'd like some feedback from people who have been in the trenches.

Since there are 3 of us and we'll be doing magic and juggling, we'll need a larger space than a typical "doorway" act. I was thinking more along the lines of a half-circle show -- or maybe just a quarter-circle show to start. =:)

We haven't done a run-through yet (although in one form or another I've done all those pieces separately), but I think it'll be around 15 minutes from the time we actually start. Which seems to me maybe a little long.

If I drop something, I'm not sure what it should be.

o Juggling with Daughter -- comedy and cute. Good way to get more people watching.
o Street Rope Trick -- establishes me as an actual magician.
o Card Warp or Chain Escape -- showcase for my son, mainly. Also keeps the magic going.
o Chop Cup -- Another solid magic trick with surprise ending.
o Eating Apple while Juggling -- Funny, applause-creating routine.

Two juggling routines sandwiching some good magic. Should I leave it all as-is and give it a shot? Shuffle it around? Drop something out?

Jay Jennings
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Jay
It all sounds good to me loads of room for loads of fun. If you find that you need to drop one of the routeens I suggest the street rope trick. I will add I love Bro Paul effect on this, a well worth while purchase I think. Its just that you just been on with your son so you could both build up your daughters bit, may work more smothly. With out any doubt you will perfect this show through trial and error.
As we say in Spain "Suerte" (Good Luck)
Mario
PS if you end up having a mailing list then I will love to be on it.
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
You know, I couldn't for the life of me picture you when you said, "I have a mohawk on my userpic" but now I definitely recognize you.

I don't think you have to worry, you have a very open, magnanimous personality and your kids are really charming. Put me on the list with Mario if you set up a mailing list.

With the eating an apple closer, there was a juggler working the unfinished pier (I think it's 56/57?) where he started off by placing a fork on the back of his hand, apple in hand, throwing both into the air and impaling the apple on the fork, then went into the sloppiest 'eating an apple while juggling' that I've ever seen. It was extremely funny, and I think you'd absolutely kill doing it.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Sometimes you have to forget the planning and just go out and try it.

Remember: A bad plan today is better than a great plan tomorrow.

Theorizing on whether something will work or not is just a waste of time. Get out there, try it and then you'll know. If it works, fine. If not, then assess what worked, what didn't and why it did or didn't. Then build.

My girlfriend and I built a solid two person act during the past few months. Right now it's solid, but we're still tweaking it. Dispite all our discussions, we only found what worked and what didn't by doing it. Experience is your best teacher.

And...planning for that "perfect" show is only a sorry crutch for not getting out there sooner than you should.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Check the length of the show and the crowd. It might be a little long if the folks are going someplace, i.e., they are willing to for a bit to watch. However, if they are likely to stop and watch it sounds really good.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Lok at Francis Tabary's rope ending where the cut endss of the rope meet and fuse by magic: you cannot get stronger than this with a rope.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
It is my suggestion that if you're new to the streets you might wnt to make your show short...i suggest that the new street magician try to do a smaller show...perhaps 10 to 12 minutes in length...3 tricks...and hat them....3 tricks and hat them ...over and over and over again...try to make $15 or per hat with an audience size of 15 people or so....

remember its so much better to do 10 minutes of great material than 20 minutes of mediocre.....it seems to me and in my experience that all the new guys and many of the older ones never settle on the 3 effects they do in their show.....pick 3...and go for it...

this is my advice ...i could be wrong its true but I really don't think I am....one thing for sure is , don't get involved in that busker competition...the bigger hat bigger show wins....this is for sure about money but its about your money and not everyone elses...do a nicve sidewalk show and you will always have a place to work...do that BIG show and you will chase a pitch for the rest of your life...TRUS ME ON THIS!

koz
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 18:53, tedb wrote:
It is my suggestion that if you're new to the streets you might wnt to make your show short...i suggest that the new street magician try to do a smaller show...perhaps 10 to 12 minutes in length...3 tricks...and hat them....3 tricks and hat them ...over and over and over again...try to make $15 or per hat with an audience size of 15 people or so....

remember its so much better to do 10 minutes of great material than 20 minutes of mediocre.....it seems to me and in my experience that all the new guys and many of the older ones never settle on the 3 effects they do in their show.....pick 3...and go for it...

this is my advice ...i could be wrong its true but I really don't think I am....one thing for sure is , don't get involved in that busker competition...the bigger hat bigger show wins....this is for sure about money but its about your money and not everyone elses...do a nicve sidewalk show and you will always have a place to work...do that BIG show and you will chase a pitch for the rest of your life...TRUS ME ON THIS!

koz

Koz's words are so true! Once I decided on the 3 effects I wanted, and put all the "what about this...." "what about that...." behind me, it go much easier and allowed me to forget the pressure of what to do.. and work more on the HOW to do it better...

My struggle now is defining my character, look, and feel. At this point, Im myself when performing - nervous fat guy trying not to look like a moron! hahahaha

Thanks for the good advice Koz! Looking forward to more of your posts!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Look it.....it needs to be about performance...ask any pro...its all about performance...well at least if you want to make money...so you need to focus on that...and to do that you need to not have to focus on the magic...IF you do the same stuff over and over it gets better and you think about it maybe a little less and concentrate on developing relationships with your audience.....very important...MOST IMPORTANT!

koz
MagicMikeMartin
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of MagicMikeMartin
The ability to read the audience is important, and Ravelli a fantastic magician once told me that your show needs to have a beginning - get everyone's attention - use a whistle - and let the first effect be great...but not your greatest....then audience participation......then a closer that is your greatest effect.....take them on a ride.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Some busker was stopped for using his kids in his show here in Boulder....something about child labor laws...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Times have changed...these days people are afraid....cellini used to bheat his stick on his table ...same thing as a whistle....people would come to see...bnow people see a guy beating his stick and wonder why that guy is beating his stick....yuo will more success engaging your potential audience but talking to them...by leaving your table and doing something for them...and while doing this learn their names and make friends....thats the key
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
248 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Okay, I get it about the 3 tricks -- although since I'm just beginning I don't *know* which three tricks will work best for me. So I'm thinking 6-8 things that I can plug-in and take out from show to show and see how they work on the street for me. Then narrow those down to the strongest three.

Or four. =:)

Jay Jennings
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Jay, those "take out" tricks [three or four spare ones] can be used as an alternative Show to use after you get your basic Set Show going. For street magicians who travel a lot, the basic show stays the same because the spectators are changing. But if you are rather fixed in location and can't get a change the spectators then you can change the show to Show B maybe after half a year.
The presentation makes the magic.
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
248 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It looks like I have a "date with busking." You can read about it on my blog: http://ourfirstyear.com/

Jay Jennings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Routining My Act -- Feedback Wanted (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL