The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Great investment advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I got great advice from my financial advisor today but would like to ask for more opinions before deciding. What a better place then the Café.
He said "If you had purchased $1,000 of Delta Air Lines stock one year ago, you would have $49 left. With Fannie Mae, you would have $2.50 left of the original $1,000. With AIG, you would have less than $15 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drunk all of the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND you'd have more money than the 3 combined and you would have had a great time.
What do you think?
Invest in the stock market or drink beer?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
After this week? Stock market! Despite the weak financial institutions you hear about on the news, there are many companies will solid fundamentals, whose stock price will no doubt be depressed by this week's financial news.

I'd say there will be bargains galore available later this week and/or early next week, if you look at solid companies, and hold for the long term. There were many savvy investors who bought solid stocks shortly after the October '29 crash, and held onto them through the '40s and '50s, and enjoyed a nice, comfortable retirement because of that.

I've never understood why people get so panicky, and worry about the future when prices go down. At any other market, when the prices go down, you start shopping for things you wanted, but didn't buy before because the price was too high. Guess what? That works in the stock market, too.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I want a third opinion. The above is way too true to be good advise.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Scott: I'm with you, that is the best advice I've heard all week.

Let's all say it together: "Investing is for the long term."
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Scott and Ross - I'm with you!

Nick
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks for the support! Here's one company spokesman that has me interested in looking at their company:

Unlike other stocks, Procter & Gamble (PG) has only showed a minor loss today (down about 1% at this writing).

On one of the news channels, they were just talking to a P&G spokesman, and asks why he thinks his company has remained so strong in today's market.

The spokeman replied, "There are 3 major reasons:
1) Any risks we take are carefully evaluated
2) We do all we can to keep our company's financial fundamentals strong
3) We make Pepto-Bismol."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 12:39, Scott Cram wrote:

I'd say there will be bargains galore available later this week and/or early next week, if you look at solid companies, and hold for the long term.

The Wall Street crash started in 1929 but it went on and on (occasional ups followed by even bigger downs) and only actually hit its low in 1932.

And then it took until 1954 for the Dow to reach its pre-1929 level. That's 35 years.

"Anyone who bought stocks in mid-1929 and held onto them saw most of his or her adult life pass by before getting back to even." - Richard Salsman

So to any investors out there, be careful. I'll certainly buy some more shares of stock in a few companies, but I will take it slowly.

This might be a good time for me to dig out, and reread, my copy of "The Great Crash: 1929" by John Kenneth Galbraith.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Not to quibble, but that's actually 25 years.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 20:15, Cohiba wrote:

Good catch, lol. You seriously pwned me!

Today's "Balducci Beat Down" was brought to you by Cohiba.

:)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 12:39, Scott Cram wrote:
After this week? Stock market! Despite the weak financial institutions you hear about on the news, there are many companies will solid fundamentals, whose stock price will no doubt be depressed by this week's financial news.

I'd say there will be bargains galore available later this week and/or early next week, if you look at solid companies, and hold for the long term. There were many savvy investors who bought solid stocks shortly after the October '29 crash, and held onto them through the '40s and '50s, and enjoyed a nice, comfortable retirement because of that.

I've never understood why people get so panicky, and worry about the future when prices go down. At any other market, when the prices go down, you start shopping for things you wanted, but didn't buy before because the price was too high. Guess what? That works in the stock market, too.

Makes sense. so why don't the investors on Wall Street do this? Maybe they can't see the forest for the proverbial trees? What do you think?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
The market is for the very strong of nerve.
Everything I've seen points to one thing - be patient and expect low dividends on long term and you are less likely to get a bath.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
This was supposed to be a thread about drinking beer. What has happened here is an injustice.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
After today's thrill ride, my investments went down a total of 10.6%. It's actually done that before (although the other time it took a total of 7 business days).

Since I'm planning to hold on to those stocks for quite some more time now, I just shrug my shoulders.

Although if anyone asks me on the street, I'll act brave, and say I'm trying to muddle through as best I can. Hey, the opportunity for the drama is there! Smile
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
I always say, "I'm Bearing up!"
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
All of my stocks are still sound - eight whole shares of Microsoft!

I only bought one share way back in the day to frame and hang on the wall. It has split three times since then. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
EVERY SINGLE THING YOU BUY, from tools to finances, should be good enough to stand the test of time.
If you buy a cheap tool you'll end up paying twice. Smile
POOF!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Exactly, kregg. sdwsgb-

Sorry for that glitch above. I had to change a vacuum tube on my PC. They just don't make 'em like they used to Smile

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 20:26, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 20:15, Cohiba wrote:

Good catch, lol. You seriously pwned me!

Today's "Balducci Beat Down" was brought to you by Cohiba.

:)

That just goes to show even the brightest of us make mistakes and miscalculate. Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 15:32, Scott Cram wrote:
Thanks for the support! Here's one company spokesman that has me interested in looking at their company:

Unlike other stocks, Procter & Gamble (PG) has only showed a minor loss today (down about 1% at this writing).

One thing people should keep in mind is that many weak financial institutions with large losses have been forced into selling their strong, good, winning assets in order to offset some of the losses and build up a cash reserve. That is still going on.

So just because you are buying quality, doesn't mean that it is necessarily immune to the downturn. It might get sold along with everything else, if this 'crisis' continues to run.

I used to own some PG back in the 90s, but I sold it a long time ago.

This is an useful tool if you want to look at its historical valuation over the last 10 years or so:

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/stockne......ymbol=PG

Keep in mind, we were in a bull run over that period.

I'd be interested in knowing what it's Price / Earnings ratio was back in the early and mid 1990s. I guess I knew back then, but I do not recall it now. Does anyone here have access to that? I assume its PE was lower back then than it is now. I have a suspicion it will fall back to that level in the next few years if the damage on Wall Street leads to compressed PEs in the overall market. Which I think could well be the case.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 11:08, abc wrote:
I got great advice from my financial advisor today but would like to ask for more opinions before deciding. What a better place then the Café.
He said "If you had purchased $1,000 of Delta Air Lines stock one year ago, you would have $49 left. With Fannie Mae, you would have $2.50 left of the original $1,000. With AIG, you would have less than $15 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drunk all of the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND you'd have more money than the 3 combined and you would have had a great time.
What do you think?
Invest in the stock market or drink beer?

You only lose when you sell! If one cannot ride the wave, they don't need to be in the water. There are actually some that are doing well. Invest in leases and you don't even have to worry about the market.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Great investment advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL