The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Words of xperience needed... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
So, things aren't going to good lately physically...headin' through the vale on a bullet train...

Most likely heart disease or Kidney disease or both or I'm just too fat...I won't know since I don't have the dough for all the tests and I don't really want to know anyway...all I Know is my back is shot and ther legs have left ther building (so to speak).

I do know that the other day when at Disneyland I reached my pain thresold and walking limit about every 50 feet before my legs were screaming to be attached to someone sane. Still got in 9 hours...not my usual 14 though.

So It's the Power Scooter then next time we go (tomorrow...Wifes Vacation time and LAST day of the pass.)

I can't imagine doing Disney from a wheeled seat but I HAVE to go and go often...it's more important than not hurting.

Disney gets $65 to rent a scooter for the day. $65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samer prioce as entrance ticket just about!

I('d buy one but not even near the money it would take so...will ahve to pay Disney's fee and eliminate many trips to only a couple a year.

SO. (finally got to it!!)

From all you 'experienced' Mobility Scooter users out there...what do I have to look forward to when I get one? Pitfalls?

I'm looking at the Pride Victory...it will be a couple of years though b efore I can buy one...least it looks that way unless sopmebody buys a whole museu8m ful of stuff! Smile (No...no insurance or Medicare B.)

I'll rent one and if I feel like a dork I'll have to hoof it and be in misery haha...I did use one at Walmart a month ago when I hurt too much to shop...and it was actually fun. Hey another RIDE right?

Experiences?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I'm sorry to hear of your condition and I wish you all the best!

Why do you spend so much time at Disney, do you have items there? business? or do you go just for the fun?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I hope you feel better soon Doug.

Chrystal
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks.

WE go because it just where my Wife and I feel most comfortable as we share many memories there (because we go so much? (haha) Actually we went ten times this past year on the annual pass. When you have a pass, it's really free entertainment and we both love riding coasters and the dark rides. The pass has run out as of yesterday so this year will only be the Birthdays. (Disneyland is FREE on your Birthday for 2009.) We look at this way, we have as much fun and enjoyment the tenth time as we did the first time..it's just 'us'. It is also the ONLY place I can handle crowds...don't know why.

The power scooter chair worked out great. What a difference...pain free Disney! Unheard of! I'm officially a 'cripple' and have the 'Placard' on the way. Oh well.
Rides are rides!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I'll think of you tomorrow and on Saturday, Doug. My wife and I are going down and spending the night near the park and spending two days there just walking and talking and enjoying the 'fantasy' of being out of the daily grind. I'll be thinking of you, especially when we are on the dark rides.

And since we're on the topic, what do you think of the direction Disney is going on their newer 'dark' (I don't know what else to call them) rides where they are basically moving shooting galleries (Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear)? I think they're a lot of fun...looking forward to our quarterly trip. We have the passes but only get down there 4 or 5 times a year, but it's still worth it.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Doug:

I'm sorry to read that you are in the situation you are in.

Just curious though, is there a horn on those things, or do you just yell and push the fools that step in front of you out of the way with the front end of the scooter?

Tony
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Steven. Appeciated.

I love Buz...it's great fun and there is so much to see and they are physical props! Toy Story on the other hand is just so-so to me...not much more than pulling up in front of a series of VIDEO games. Blah. Clever tech though in the 3-D but not worth the lines.

The other 'new' one is the recent re-configuration of he Submarines to a part video presentation 'IN' the water. Was ok. Vid is now blurrier than when first opened for some reason...also story makes no sense (with no ending)so better not to try and follow it and just see cool 'stuff'...

To me the classics like Mr. Toad and Peter Pan can never be matched for repeat rideability.

The BIG and GREAT news is the HUGE Little Mermaid 'E' ticket (on the scale of Pirates of the Carribbean!) which is coming to DCA. 6 Musical numbers and large scenes with audio animatronic characters. Budget approved and funded. Underway soon. woo hoo!

Thanks Tony...there is a little beepy thingy but I had no problems...I just turned up the speed and manuevered like an F-1. Smile
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
You'll have to be more aware of people walking around you. You'd think they would give you a wide berth, but just the opposite is true. They tend to weave around you by a hairsbreadth.

I know this as I once used a store-supplied power chair in a large market (Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio) when I had a sprained ankle.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Doug... sent you a PM
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks all...fortunately I'm very pragmaic...what ever it is it is...nothing I can do about it or am willing to do about it I guess even if I did know...and there are clues. All that modern medicine in the news is for other folks. Besides, it gives me an excuse to sit alot. My favorite passtime. Smile

Steve: Saw JUngle Jim's on TV. Wow what joint! How on earth do they keep the shelves freshened without tons of throwaways? Check those dates!!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
You should see the International section.

Last year for the Worldwide Escape Artist Relay (WEAR), local illusionist Phil Dalton performed an escape illusion at Jungle Jim's.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Doug,

Sorry to hear about your condition. If possible, please don't get down on yourself or depressed and please keep a good positive mental attitude.

Best regards,

Mike

P.S. BTW, how do you prevent someone from stealing (or "borrowing") the rental cart while you are on a ride? How do you guarantee that the cart will "be there" at the end of each ride? Are the carts sequestered away from the general public (like in a "restricted area") while you are on a ride? (Inquiring minds need to know!!)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
At Disneyland and at Sea World yesterday, the carts are just 'left' outside or in many cases taken/ridden into the ride and sometimes even on the ride. Each has a key BTW, (a generic 'key' that operates all).

At Disneyland the Scooters are left just like all the strollers...packed with personal items...it's just not a problem that they get taken. I suppose occasionally some punk will ride off with one but where they going to go?
You'd just tell a cast member and you'd have a new one right away.
On the real Theme Park properties...Disney, Busch etc. there is not the attitude that promotes that sort of thing...and punks are not tolerated.

In the Six Flags type cheesier operations though, it probably happens more often...as that punk crowd is catered to and not as well policed and rarely tossed out on their ***.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Doug,

Never EVER leave personal items in your cart. People steal the contents all the time. We had a personal stroller stolen once and items in a stroller lost once, then once again with my daughter's stuff. While most of the people entering the parks are fine, there is enough scum that you have to take reasonable precautions, regardless. And believe it or not, the times it happened always happened at Disneyland and not once in other parks. Go figure.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I would never leave personal items in the cart...I was speaking of the carts themselves...but many do leave all their stuff.

Times ar changing even at Disneyland...gang graffitti is showing up backstage because of the low life trash they have to hire to try and keep up with the visitor count...if they paid a bit more in wages they might have a better job pool to draw from. In & Out Burger pays more.
The other day we couldn't believe how many surly dour punks we ran into working at Sea World...formerly a bastion of upbeat and 'involved' personel.

By the way the Scooter I rented was a pice of crap. I feel lucky to have survuved. Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10706 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hey Doug sorry to hear this news
please keep chin up if possible
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I rented a cart for a friend some time back in Las Vegas. His biggest problem was simply learning to control the speed, he tended to run over a few folks. Many attractions have a handicapped perference for entry, give you closer seating, or let you to the front of the line ect.

Worst part was simply if you needed to use a cab. It took a special handicapped cab, none of the SUVs sould let you put it in the back, even though it would fit. And the handicap cabs took forever to come when you called them (4 hour wait was not unusual). So if you can rent it on site and leave it there, or have means of moving it around with your own vehicle, it is great. Got him around to places he could otherwise never have gone.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Words of xperience needed... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL