We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sidewalk or Plaza? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What fits you the most, sidewalk, half circle or full circle? I like the half circle the most because I will be able to use larger props and keep audience contact.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Learn to do all of it well. I tell everybody to start with the best 10 minutes they have first and develop a tight sidewalk show and the rest will follow. You have to establish yourself and learn the basics.

If a person is lucky they may have a solid 10 minute set from working restaurants or a bar situation (or in your case a great kid/family show) and then they just need to learn how to street perform.

Learning a new act and learning how to street perform at the same time takes a lot of time.

I love doing a sidewalk show, a half circle, or a full circle. I like the intimacy and the connection to the audience that a solid sidewalk show has and I love the huge energy of a big circle. I like all of them equally for different reasons, but I'm just as happy to work.

I say to anybody starting out though, try 10 or 15 minutes.

There is a great video set coming out shortly that explains why this is a great way to start in detail.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
I'm still doing Sidewalk, but I have only been doing this about a year now and quite frankly my area doesn’t lend itself to circle shows of any type, not enough room.
As Danny said I like the intimacy of the Sidewalk show as well, it lets me feel closer to my crowd and more easily judge their mood - just my opinion though.

So Danny, what are these DVD going to be called and who's on'em?
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 07:58, JohntheMagician wrote:
my area doesn’t lend itself to circle shows of any type, not enough room.

This is why I always suggest learning a good solid sidewalk act first. MOST pitches in the US anyway do not lend themselves to a big circle show.

BUT if you find yourself in a situation where you can work circles big or small (because a lot of people do not realize there are different size circles and horse shoes as well) I think a guy who wants to be well rounded and able to work any situation should be able to do it.

Another interesting aside, the difference between sidewalk and circle very rarely has anything to do with the props so many sidewalk acts can become circle shows by only changing structure and not content.

Once you do a big show in the rotation you can go right back to working that shady spot down the street with your sidewalk act. You can work all day that way getting the grits and the gravy. It's the beauty of doing magic on the street, we have a flexibility that a lot of other types of acts just don't have.

Kozmo is putting out the videos and I think they are going to answer A LOT of the questions that get muddied and confused on the forums. No BS, no hype, no you'll make a million dollars a year, just straight forward advice based on experience from a guy who has done very well doing it all.
Kozmo said he wanted these videos to be for the regular guy who can do a few tricks and might be a little funny and teach him how to make a decent living working the street.

I'm the guy that interviewed him so I was there, I can honestly say it's REALLY good stuff, and a lot of the stuff has never been talked about before in plain and honest terms.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do you have an idea what month the DVDs will be available?

Bambi Smile
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Koz said November.. over in another topic.. "what's a Decent Hat" He goes into what he's trying to do with this DVD. I'm intersted myself, I look forward to the release.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will see him at the Motor City Close-up convention this year in November. I believe he will bring the DVD by. If anybody wants more info on the convention let me know.
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Koz is putting on a Street Performing Lecture down my way in December, so I hope he'll have them with him.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I started with 1/2 and full circle shows. (Juggling) and now find after all these years later I still have a hard time doing a doorway show.
As alwase listen to Danny and work your way up, but do try to get to the bigger circle show, It can realy take the wind out of your sails if you do a close up bit for some one and thay turn out to be a fest. orginiser or some thing like that. and they give you the 'big spot' and you can't play it.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm comfortable in the sidewalk. I don't think I have enough chops to do a 1/2 or full circle show. But then, I'm a turtle... Danny will come along in a moment and confirm that!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Theres really not that much to a sidewalk show....its just where you start....

you hjave to stop the first group abd build a core of maybe 10 to 12 people to do a sidewalk show...it should be pretty short...maybe 10 to 12 minutes and it should be your best material...better to do 10 minutes of great material than 20 of mediocre..

the dvd's are really about how to build it...how to build the edge...tablke placement...things like that.....its not complete but it will certainly get you on your way..

there are no rules in this.....do what works for you....my suggestion though is to do those short shows in the beginning...i make $50 $60 hats all day doing 15 minute shows....ALL DAY and it doesn't matter where I'm at...the toughest pitches out there and htats what I get...when others are failing I'm still making those 50 dollar hats....

guys who come here and talk a lot about stuff have been on those same pitches and failed.....bobby maverick is one of the top strret performers in the worldd today...he does this huge straight jacket show....kills....but when there isn't a big pitch....he goes over there in the corner and does his 15 minute sidwalk act and makes 50 dollar hats all day.....

gazzos show is not a magic show...he does magic and gazzo can do anything but his show is really a comedy act...he closes with the cups because he has to close with something.....magic is in my opinion a more intimate experience, and I love thsoe smaller shows and I think I make more money doing those smaller shows....

think about this...and this is for me

3 shows an hour 15 minutes each...average of $50 $150 an hour not bad

big show 45 minutes $100 maybe $125 lots of work not many places where you can do a big show in this country and I make more...

and heres another thing....gazzo is brillant...so much more gifted than most that world the streets...how many of you are really that gifted?....not many....but you can make a grreat living just not doing what gazzo does....

I thnk this thing will get you use you to think more advanced thoughts on this subject....there are things taht have never been talked about ob video or in a book ever on this dvd set...all of it is my opinion and there are no rules, whatever works but I make more money than almost all of the guys out there working today its true...so m,aybe theres something in these that will help you understand what I think and make you more succesful right from the start\

truth is, most go out and fail and never come back...its tough to come back after failure BUT if you have some success then maybe you will come back....

koz
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That was good info, Kozmo.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I've never really done a sidewalk show (small group, 10 minute, revolving...). I've performed on sidewalks but still manage a half circle (cause a full circle just won't happen unless peoeple can pass through parked cars and buildings). I prefer either a half circle or full circle. Of course again, that all depends on where I'm pitching, be it a downtown core, a festival...

Of course I really don't do a lot of magic (mainly just the straitjacket escape and my foot twisting effect) but do some juggling, balancing and some unique things
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 12:49, ed rhodes wrote:
I'm comfortable in the sidewalk. I don't think I have enough chops to do a 1/2 or full circle show. But then, I'm a turtle... Danny will come along in a moment and confirm that!

TURTLE!

Sorry for the delay Ed. Smile

For the record, turtleing has nothing to do with working the streets.

Best,

Dan-

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Koz,

I can't wait to see the DVDs!!!!

Best,

Dan-

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 10:19, Danny Hustle wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 12:49, ed rhodes wrote:

TURTLE!

Sorry for the delay Ed. Smile

For the record, turtleing has nothing to do with working the streets.

Best,

Dan-

I didn't say it did. And the delay didn't bother me, I only get an internet connection for about a half an hour a day these days, so I wasn't waiting for your response... but I knew it was coming.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle

:)

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sidewalk or Plaza? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL