The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Banding Around DVD by Russell Leeds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
That would be swell . . .
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
Quote:
Russ showed us a version of the vanish on his DVD without having any bands on his wrist. He just showed a band- it vanished and his sleeves were rolled up. It fooled a room full of magicians. I will see if I can convince him to come on here and tip the method

I suspect it would have to be posted in the secret sessions (which I can not yet access) -a PM would be awsome because one problem I've always had with the camo method is the band can sometomes tend to ride up my hand unless I'm wearing a thousand bands to catch it. Anyhow, this DVD kills. IMO there is not one weak routine one the whole disc but I especially like Rubber Fly, Rubber Coins, Pick Pocket and Band Through Glass.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I've been doing the "impromptu penetration" for the last couple weeks and not only is it simply impossible looking, I'm also greatly impressed with the method. I'm not even sure how you would figure this out - creatively speaking. Quite amazing, really.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Oh, how I wish my copy would arrive! I've been salivating for this DVD for a month but I made the mistake of buying it half price here in the Café...from a guy in Austria.

My guess is Austria is still using clipper ships to transport goods to the USA...or at best dirgibles for air mail.

Anyway, I'm assured it will eventually arrive and none too soon for me! Adam's review sold me immediately as well as being one of the funniest I've read.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If he sent it the cheap rate, it could take months. Texas is a long way from Austria.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
LOL...thanks for the encouragement, Chris!

Actually, he sent it air mail I'm told...hence the image of a dirgible or Ford Tri-motor in my head.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
All is well...the tri-motor landed today.
resshin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of resshin
Russell has transposed several classic plot of coin magic to rubberband form through the use of various ingenious new sleights. Excellent dvd.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I've just got this DVD, and will be putting in the required practice.
Why? Well I have done CMH for some time now, but just didn't get it together for other band magic. I had Dan Harlan's 'Band shark' for example, but never put any of the items into my working set, as they felt incomplete, or lacked the impact of CMH (I am not suggesting that there is not great stuff on 'Bandshark', but it just didn't 'do it' for me).
This DVD offers routines of many different flavours that actually appeal to me, both from wanting to perform them,and in believing that audiences will enjoy them.
Well done Russel & co, for a great product, and for addressing crediting issues in an upfront way.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
PS - My top three are:
Rubberfly
Growing band
Empowerment
Rubber ring, Impromptu penetration...etc. oops, I found it hard to stop at three.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
There is some very clever and excellent new rubberband ideas on this dvd.

What I do wonder is why during the sleights segment the camera is NOT in first person behind the shoulder but mainly straight on.

I find it nearly impossible to learn in reverse, ESPECIALLY rubberband and rope magic. Another words, if the camera is not over the shoulder you the viewer must figure out how to do what is on the screen in reverse. I even have a hard time if the performer is left handed and I have use my right hand.

I still cannot believe when watching a new magic Dvd in 2008 occasionally all of the explanations are not showed in BOTH straight on and then over the shoulder shots.

Also while I am nit picking, I do not like how this Dvd is shot outside in bright sunlight it seems and inside facing a large brightly lit window?

Of course the material is very good though!!!! Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I'm still in the honeymoon period with this DVD, but having read magicman1957's post, I would have to agree with the main points made, especially the brightly lit window.
However, appreciation of the material enclosed in return for so few of the credit-crunched pounds, means that for me, these are only minor irritations rather than big issues.
Now, where did I leave those size 19s?
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
Thanks for everyone's kind comments.

I am sorry I have not been around much on the Café but I am sure everyone can imagine how busy December can be.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has brought this DVD and emailed and messaged me saying how much they enjoy the material. From my mind everything on the DVD is a worker and I can honestly say that in the last month I have performed everything that is on the DVD several times (including the band through glass which now looks great every time).

If anyone has any other comments reviews suggestions or performing stories I would love to hear them and thanks again

Russell

Edit - By the way MagicMan1957 regarding the explanations and how they are shot, I agree that an over the shoulder shot would have been nice but we did try to include as much on the DVD as possible. This is why we included a sleight section and the reason I asked Craig to be a part of the explanations with me - I wanted everything to come across as clearly as possible. Judging by the comments I have received I am sure that people are learning the material but we can only improve and I thank you for your suggestions.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Quote:
On one side of a pick n nick table you have Russell...

Could it be you are referring to a "picnic table" or is it because you are "nit-picking" things about things like Russell's speech?

-AH
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My god AH, and that stands for Adam Hince by the way, you look just like Craig Petty! You even have the same expression he has on the DVD 'Twas not the speech it was the muppet like delivery, sorry you missed the Yogi Bear reference, AH.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Dear Santa,

Your powers of deductive reasoning astound me! Yes, those are my initials. Or are they CP? You are claiming that I am, in fact Craig Petty, right? Yes I guess I missed the Yogi Bear reference (and I still don't know where it is).

I just don't understand why we can't focus on evaluating the magic, instead of criticizing trivial things like "he opens his mouth incredibly wide with each word". Read that quotation again. Does it have any place in a review of a magic product? Maybe you just have a keen interest in speech. Be sure to include that in your review for the Speech-Language Pathology Café.

Thanks,
-AH
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I did evaluate the magic and did so, unlike you, as a pal of the makers. I stated he spoke just like actors who have bad acting coaches, I'm assuming he had a bad acting coach. You, interestingly, are acknowledging his oddity in your responses but as his pal you choose to ignore it. Since you are their pals I am writing you off as defending your friends. You should also note, AH, that I did more than just list the contents, which can be seen on ads, that isn't reviewing, that is regurgitating. Actually I said you 'looked' like Craig Petty, I have not at any time thought that you and he were one and the same. I mearly made sure those reading knew that AH stood for your initials and not for something else. Lastly, lil' fellow, if someone puts themself out there by making a DVD for sale then they open themselves for being reviewed. If I don't understand someone I say so, if they speak well and deliver their information in a clear manner, I say so. If I had said "Russell speaks very well, listening to him is like the joy one would expect at a Shakespear festival with every word delivered as if one was speaking to God himself" you wouldn't have come on here and said "Santa, his speaking well has nothing to do with the DVD....". Be thankful I didn't mention his deep set eyes and pertuding fore head which makes one think Neanderthals have, indeed, survived, and they do rubber band magic. Now do you wish to understand that the review was possitive or do you want me to continue with critisisms that I didn't put into the review? Your call june bug, you are the one calling attention to it.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Dear Santa,

I'm not sure what makes you such a spiteful, anonymous man, but I hope you can get to the bottom of it. For the record, I've met Craig Petty once, and I've never met Russell. So to reiterate that I am "pals" of the makers is a bit of a stretch.

Also, I'm not sure where I acknowledged this so called oddity (you do love the word "odd" and derivations on the word, don't you?). Also Santa (if that is your real name, or should I refer to you with you initials "MS"?), I thought I should point out, Russell and Craig are from the UK. If they talk "differently" than you, that may be why. I'm just saying...

I'll once more mention that attacking the manner in which someone speaks (and now it appears I can include looks/appearance) of creator of the product has no place in a review. If the material is positive, let it be known in your review. There's no reason to muddle it by comparing someone's look to a Neanderthal. It's rude and has no place in this forum.

-AH
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ahhhh, and that wasn't an extension of your initials, how do you know I am not English? I am not, of course. I didn't include looks in the review, should I? I said it was good material, you selected to ignore that now didn't you? I was also kind enough not to mention the phony audience which was stated to be a 'real audience'. Again about the speech, you see I always refer to the sound and I hate out of sync speech and video and that is exactly what it looked like. Is that my fault? Of course not!

So where were you, mighty defender, when I said that the special guest on a video must have been a mime since he didn't speak and when he did it couldn't be comprehended? How about when I've done others that I said the performer made me uncomfertable watching him because I found him disturbing? What about those by people who I said dressed to watch rap videos more so than film a video? How about those that 'wing it' rather than preparing what they are going to say? I take it they were not people you felt you knew eh? Now again, do you wish to continue this or let people read reviews? Oh, please PM me where the easter egg is found on blank, I've clickied all over the main menu and nothing comes up. Thank you and bless you.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Santa,

I have no idea what the second paragraph of your most recent post (read:rant) even says. Apparently your a big-time official poster here at the Café and you've made some comments about people dressing up to watch rap videos. Sorry, I can't say I've read all of your material (or at least none of it made an impression on me like the rest of your stellar writing did).

To say that the only reason that I spoke out against your attack is because I "felt I knew" the people is asinine. I know Russell no more than I know you, Santa (well, I do at least know Russell's real name), but if someone was unjustly attacking you and I saw the attack (don't hold me accountable for something I have no knowledge of), I'd jump to your defense too. Not because I'm the "mighty defender", but because it's the right thing to do.

And since you asked so nicely, I'll pull out my copy of Blank and find that Easter Egg for you. I'm finished with this debate. Expect a PM about the Easter Egg.

-AH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Banding Around DVD by Russell Leeds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL