We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paramiracles by Ted Lesley (Review) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
I noticed there were no real reviews for this book, so I decided to write up a quick one. More people should own this book. It is a great read.

Paramiracles by Ted Lesley

This is a mentalism book which covers so many different aspects of mentalism. I am going to list and describe some of the standout effects in this book.

Chapter One: Chapter one contains a few methods for allowing a spectator to shuffle a deck of cards as much as they want, cut the deck, and the card they cut to is still somehow forced. You immediately know what card they cut to.

The Kismet Connection: This is a great method for constructing a three way out envelope. Everything looks so clean and smooth. You can easily dump out any of the three cards from the envelope at any given time. I'm not much of a card guy, but he has some nice effects using this envelope. The envelope alone is great though.

The Out of Sorts Variations: This is a card effect that was originally created by Max Maven. A spectator removes eight cards from a shuffled deck and only thinks of one of them. All this is done while the mentalist's back is turned. No fishing needed. There is a slight set-up needed, but you can do it in front of the audience. I usually hate effects like this, but the way the spectator is told to look at the eight cards is justified here. Can't say more than that.

Seer of the Trivial: This is another awesome effect. I don't know if I will ever use this, but some great thinking went into this. Essentially, a spectator grabs a stack of Trivial Pursuit (a game) cards out of the box. He grabs about a 100 or so. The cards are all different, the spectator shuffles them, and selects one. He then selects one of the 6 questions listed on his card. The mentalist opens up a large envelope that contains another smaller envelope, which is revealed to have the answer to the question. No swami writing, etc. Great effect.

Black Magic: A nice way to learn the word that someone wrote on a business card. This is pretty clean and his "crystal ball" idea is really clever. A slight set-up is required, but you can do this in about 2 seconds.

Dissertation on the Center Tear: Awesome! I was one of those people who hated the idea of using a center tear because I thought the method was too apparent. This 10 page writing on the center tear has really changed my view. Lesley gives you a basic outline of what questions you should ask the person. These questions make the effect really strong.

The Working Performer's Switch Pad: This is basically a add-a-number pad. I like this much better than the typical index card pad. Though, I might be a little scared to have a spectator handle this one.

Border Intelligence: A neat little idea on making a crib sheet for a pad. The spectator could examine this and find nothing.

Pseudo-Psychometry:
Another effect I use to stay away from, however, Lesley's presentational idea has changed my mind about this one. I always found the revealing of the people's items to be quite boring, but Lesley makes it exciting for the spectator by doing each reveal in a completely different way.

Technicolor Graphology:
A neat method for a psychometry routine. Very different from the standard method. I like this, but I would probably just stick with nicks, etc. instead of using this method.

The Teleport Envelope: This one if worth the price of the book. A spectator can examine a envelope, see nothing inside, seal it himself, and then open it himself only to find that his thought of card, word, etc. is now inside the envelope. This takes a bit of time to make, but is definitely worth the effort.

Guiding Star: A method for predicting a spectator's zodiac sign. I like this, but you are doing to have to do a bit of set-up for this one. The method is old, but I had never thought about using it for a zodiac revelation before. The method works well with a zodiac sign instead of revealing a random word or a card, which is how it is usually done.

Teaching: Everything is really easy to understand. This was an enjoyable read.

Difficulty: You are expected to have some knowledge of mentalism. You really need to know how to do a CT and perform a Psychometry routine, otherwise you are missing out on two of the best parts in the book.

Applications: This is mentalism, however, Lesley's envelopes can be used for magic tricks and would be worth the $33.00.

Overall: A great read. This has moved up to the top of my list as one of my favorite books/items I own.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1369 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Ted Lesley is a legend! Smile One of my all time favourite books!His views and knowledge on center tear is class...you can appear to reveal so much information than what you p***** Smile Lumas great review buddy!

Pete
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
This is an awsome book, I lent it to someone and never got it back.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1354 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Thanks for the review, Lumas. Paramiracles is one of the great books that will stand the test of time. Ted was one of the giants in this wonderful art form, and this book is a modern classic. (And don't forget to thank Bill Palmer, who did the translation.) The thinking put into this work is simply stellar. I go back to it again and again--truly every mentalist should have this on his or her bookshelf, alongside Annemann and Corinda, and somewhat near the Osterlind dvds, and not too far from Jerome Finley's stuff.

Seth
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Thanks for the review!
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Nice review! Thinking about getting this.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Nice review....actually got me wanting to pull it off the old shelf and give it another read.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The Teleport Envelope are a wonderful prop,
you can do amazing things.
luiscubanmentalist
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of luiscubanmentalist
I'm looking for a copy
dustrod
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
194 Posts

Profile of dustrod
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2020, luiscubanmentalist wrote:
I'm looking for a copy

Every once in a while it becomes available on here. One you have more posts you'll be able to access that part of the group.
Its usually not very cheap though. Chances are you'll pay a pretty penny for it.
I seen it on a Facebook group though about a month ago. It sold in like under a minute. It was the only time I personally saw it for under $50 this year.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1097 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Two words: "GET IT!!"
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
570 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Somebody is selling one for $100 here on TMC.
(No, it's not me, I kinda like mine. It's Jerry C.)

Dave
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1559 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I bought a copy recently through Facebook (maybe the one dustrod mentioned). Apparently it was a bargain.
luiscubanmentalist
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of luiscubanmentalist
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2020, luiscubanmentalist wrote:
I'm looking for a copy

Every once in a while it becomes available on here. One you have more posts you'll be able to access that part of the group.
Its usually not very cheap though. Chances are you'll pay a pretty penny for it.
I seen it on a Facebook group though about a month ago. It sold in like under a minute. It was the only time I personally saw it for under $50 this year.

I got one in great condition for $60
Tony Montuori
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Tony Montuori
Even if you never perform one piece from this book there is so much more to it. He shares his insights, skill and knowledge. How he sets up his show. His thinking, his ability to create a show that really connects with his audience is what I truly appreciate about this book. That and the Teleport Envelope which is just brilliant.

Cheers,

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paramiracles by Ted Lesley (Review) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL