The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » How much is too much? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
As I continue working on my show, I have decided that there are two things that I know I want to include, but am not sure if this too much for the audience.

I want to do a cigarette routine and a CD manipulation routine.

Are these too much the same to be in the same show? Will they play well if spaced out in the program?

To me, both of these are visually interesting and I think they are to the audiene as well, but I don't want to over do it.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I don't see why you cannot do both of them in the same act. They are totally different objects and do not clash with each other.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with James. There have been magicians using coin and card manipulations in performances also. Cigarettes with CDs are no problem being used together. The main object is the rountine.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Thanks guys. That's kind of what I thought, but I didn't want to possibly bore folks with too much vanish/appear over and over again.

That spawns my next question which is tips on how long a manipulation routine should run. Too short might seem pointless and too long gets repetitive. Any suggestions?

Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3391 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
12 minutes total. I did a manipulation act in the previous century that encompassed appearing and vanishing candles, cigarette manipulation, billiard ball manipulation, card manipulation (not necessarily in that order) and finished with "Snow Storm in China". 12 minutes total, silent (to music) and solid.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
John Star
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of John Star
Every object have his combination.

John
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I like the snow storm and am experimenting with using a fan of CDs to do it rather than than an actual fan.

I don't think I'll go 12 minutes LOL

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
7 to 14 minutes is good if the act is good. It really depends on the routine. A good thing to do is put together what you want to do. Next, find out what music will plays well with your rountine. Because people can perform the same rountine at different speeds. Next, try it on younger audiences and find out how they will react. Let them be the judge. I promise they are not afraid to give you their opinions.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I believe you have to test it out with different audiences, with different pacing, music, etc., and then come back again to trim the routine again. As Dynamike says the audience is the best judge ... observe their responses and analyze again.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
When I used to do shows, they were mostly kids stuff. I always wanted to move to a more grown up audience and I never realized just how much is actually involved in making the switch.

Thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions Smile

ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thought: If you do two manip routines it would be wise to change the presentational mode to keep them different. If you do the coins in a smooth, flowing gracefull manner to waltz music, do the CDs to some harder music with 'attitude'. And, of course, put them apart in the order of your setlist.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-02 13:10, ufo wrote:
Thought: If you do two manip routines it would be wise to change the presentational mode to keep them different. If you do the coins in a smooth, flowing gracefull manner to waltz music, do the CDs to some harder music with 'attitude'. And, of course, put them apart in the order of your setlist.

I agree with ufo. Different tempo and pacing for each routine would help tremendously.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
As long as you have different objectives in each routine then it won't be repetetive. Objective is everything.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » How much is too much? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL