The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Yes, but, how do you LEARN magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
I'm finding all of your responses helpful, so <tips hat> thank you all very much. It's good to know the frustration I have been experiencing is not uncommon. I've slowed down, and am steadily working my way through the card section of Complete Course before I'll allow myself to move on.

This is a great community.

Gill
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
You stated you joined the IBM... Here is some good advice -- go to your ring meetings! If they have open magic after the business meeting do get up and perform! Don't worry about fooling the magicians... they know what you are doing and they all know how you are doing... just perform the effect for them. afterwards put your feelings away, ego in check, close your mouth and listen. You will get a load of advice (some good and some bad) and in amongst all of that you will find nuggets of gold. Try the advice next time you perform the effect see what really helps. Learn who the really good performers are and watch them and /listen/ to them. Along with all the other advice about books and reading, it really helps to get advice and from a good mentor. When you show that you are trying to learn (open magic) you will find people willing to show you how to do stuff. A real live human being can show you what you missed or misunderstood from the description in the book... or better yet a tip on how to do it better. The main thing is be quiet and listen, though.

You will also learn presentation... something that it hard to learn from books... DVDs can show you another performer's way of doing a trick and you watch their presentation and copy it but you aren't learning why you doing certain moves at certain points. You learn this either through trial and error (screwing up) or from tips from other magicians (who cares if you screw up in front of them?)... I'll take all the tips I can get, thank you Smile
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
SergeStorms,
You are in good company here. These folks are giving terrific advice for your trip of discovering the art. Find a qualified, experienced, performer mentor and take their advice. There is no substitute for an expert guide on your "trip."

Father Photious, thank you again for recommending The Ostrich Factor!
http://www.theostrichfactor.com

Regards,
Gerald
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
Quote:
On 2008-10-11 06:46, Gerald wrote:
SergeStorms,
You are in good company here. These folks are giving terrific advice for your trip of discovering the art. Find a qualified, experienced, performer mentor and take their advice. There is no substitute for an expert guide on your "trip."

I agree. I have received a ton of good advice, most of which seems to do with something I have little of--patience. I am finding that not only am I learning the tricks, but patience and discipline as well. Who'da thunk it.

I really appreciate the responses I have gotten and everyone's help. Hopefully I'll be around long enough to one day pass on the favor.

Gill
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
I got started from a simple tv magic kit, worked my way to learning tricks that my youth pastor was performing and then bought some of those tricks when he got out. I guess I sort of picked one area of magic (small prop magic or cabaret style) and that would be my advice as well.

Pick the area of magic that interests you the most, put together a short routine or set of tricks. Then practice them like mad and show them to some friends and family to get reaction. Or if you have a video camera you can record yourself and see what your audience would see and critique yourself.

Again, stick to one area of magic to start off with.

Have a great day,

Steven
Saqib16
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Saqib16
Well, I started about 8 years ago, when I was 13. Back then, I really had to save to buy magic related items and I found out that buying 'props' were a waste of money (for me) and I spent money on books and videos. The first thing videos I bought (good ol vhs) was "Art of Card Manipulation" and I spent so much free time learning tricks. Now I can buy whatever I want pretty much, I buy videos and what not but the problem is, I don't really learn the tricks like I use to. I suppose that's because I focus on being able to back-palm 20 bikes.. but my advice is, get a book (or video) and highlight the tricks you want to learn. Then ONLY ONLY work on that one trick. First get the mechanics (the actual physical moves) down. Then work on the patter/story to go along with it. Then do it to STRANGERS. Doing it for friends/family doesn't get the results that you really need as a beginner.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-11 09:59, SergeStorms wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-11 06:46, Gerald wrote:
SergeStorms,

I agree. I have received a ton of good advice, most of which seems to do with something I have little of--patience. I am finding that not only am I learning the tricks, but patience and discipline as well. Who'da thunk it.

I really appreciate the responses I have gotten and everyone's help. Hopefully I'll be around long enough to one day pass on the favor.

Gill

Let us know how you are progressing, Gill.
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
Quote:
Let us know how you are progressing, Gill.

First, let me say how awesome it is to be able to correspond with someone in Malaysia over anything. These internets are really impressive!

Second, I am progressing slowly. Part of the reason I think is that I am still too easily distracted by "new" (to me) stuff. We had a benefit here locally and some of the IBM members were out front doing close up stuff and cards, and one of the guys did Dai Vernon's Triumph, and the Gun and Bullet. I was just blown away and for a time was unable to work on where I was in Wilson's Complete Course. I'm back on track now and when I find time am working on the effects and skills he outlines.

I've progressed through the self-working stuff in the card section, but find I can't remember the effects when I want to do one "impromptu". I try each time I go back to the Course to go over the effects I've already learned before working on the newest, and that seems to be working, although progress is a bit slow. I'm finding that the discipline to learn it before moving on is difficult, but learning discipline is a good thing as well, so no problem there. I am now practicing regularly the Hindu Shuffle controls and the overhand shuffle controls, and working onn the related effects. Some of the effects I have simply moved past as they don't really interest me.

So, that's where I am.

Again, thanks for your continued input.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
You need to get a couple of routines and learn them one card effect and one impromptu effect you can use with a borrowed object... now when I say learn them, I mean learn them so you can do them in your sleep. Something you can do if handed a deck of cards... anywhere, anytime. just a couple for now. They don't have to be mind blowing super sleights finger flickers... you can do a self working trick or a key card trick. Once you get them down pat to the point you can do them without thinking, then think of a nice way to present them to get the most entertainment from them for an audience. Now go show the club in open magic (test one), and then next time you get a chance, show some friends or co-workers (test 2). This builds confidence, and you have a couple of effects you can show anywhere, anytime asked.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
One step at a time, SergeStorms. And stay focused on your immediate goal - the current effects you are working on. Then get organized.

Congratulations, SergeStorms, on your progress.
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
You don't chase hurricanes do ya? Keep at it and sooner than you realize you'll be doing things you thought were impossible only a little while ago. Put several effects together and get a "routine" down. And by all means, show these to family and friends. Do not be afraid to fail--that in itself is a great learning experience and will greatly enhance the learning curve. Best of luck----
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
Again, thanks to everyone for the helpful information. Right now, I'm sticking to cards. On the basis of one of our IBM member's recommendation I have switched from Mark Wilson's CCIM to Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book and feel like I am making better headway. The book is well written, and organized in a fashion that addresses technique first, then goes into effects.

I'm still having a hard time limiting purchases at our local store. I'm really like a kid in a candy store when I'm in there. But, for now, I'm not going to purchase any additional effects, and am going to stick with working with an unprepared deck.

The few things I have learned I have tried to show to different groups (work, family, etc...) as often as possible. I haven't arranged a routine yet, but probably should put one together now that I have a number of effects compiled.

I will do that and get back with you all on my progress.

Gill
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Wow, that's a lot to bite off

Start simple, RRTCM since your interest is in cards

Take acting lessons, voice lessons. Get involved in some sort of theater

Go to lectures, don't take to heart everything you hear at IBM meetings

Study magicians that you admire, don't copy them.
You can't be them but you can be you, which no one else can

Pick out about 5 effects you really like, learn them, then learn them even better.

Read, read and then read more, good to see you're already on the path

Magic is a lifetime time journey, take it one step at a time
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Agree with all Vick says, except - start simple with my books, THE CLASSIC COLLECTION and THE MAGIC BOOK. (Save your "ego" remarks, please folks. Only trying to help.) HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 16:33, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Agree with all Vick says, except - start simple with my books, THE CLASSIC COLLECTION and THE MAGIC BOOK. (Save your "ego" remarks, please folks. Only trying to help.) HL

That's what I am doing, and will likely pick up THE CLASSIC COLLECTION as my next book purchase. Right now I'm working my way through the techniques in THE MAGIC BOOK, and what I may be learning most, indirectly, is patience. You have some great techniques and they are explained well in both the writing and the illustrations. You are to be applauded for your contributions.

By the way, I think it's awesome that you are on these boards and took time to respond to my post. Thanks, and look forward to seeing you around the boards!
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
Just an update to let those of you who responded know how/what I am doing:

I continue to buy magic (just can't stop) although I'm directing my purchases more towards what I already have/know rather than getting something new. For instance, I have scotch and soda, so I have purchased a couple of little routine booklets on the item to give me a better idea of what to do with it and how.

I continue to use Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" as my first level teaching resource. I have been through the sleights and am getting into the effects, and am going to stop working through the book at this point in order to refine what I have already learned.

I have made a list of all effects I know, with the great majority of them currently being card effects. I am going to go through the list and pick the best of the bunch and begin to perfect them. Only when I have satisfied myself that I am proficient in those effects do I intend to move on to additional effects in the Lorayne book.

I have stalled somewhat on the overhand shuffle. I perceive what I do as sloppy, and the slop sometimes affects my in-jog or controls, so I am working on that. I have a tendency to drop cards from the bottom of the top packet when shuffling, and leaving the top of the top packet, which causes problems when trying to do an orderly shuffle. In addition, I have problems with the bottom of the dropped stack rising up during the shuffle, sometimes to the point that cards come out of the deck and fall to the floor. So, I have run a search on these forums and gotten some good information on what I may be doing wrong and trying to correct that. I don't think I will even work on effects until I am comfortable with my overhand shuffle or my Hindu shuffle control.

Once I have these technical aspects somewhat mastered, I will then move through those listed in "The Magic Book", practicing effects, identifying those that I really like, and learning them. As I get a fair repertoire, I will then move into RRTCM to work on skills again, and learn those more advanced tricks. I REALLY want to learn Triumph, as it is such a killer effect, but I'm holding back for now.

That's my plan anyway. I will probably mix in some coin work (also got Ammar's Intro dvd) to get me away from cards from time to time.

My goal--and tell me if this is wrong for this stage of my learning--is to have a broad enough range of card/coin effects to be able to do something when someone says "so, show me a trick". Right now my knowledge/confidence level is not to the point where I really want to show anything because I am too concerned with not getting the effect right. I "know" how to do three or four things, and can't ever remember if I've already shown that to the person/group asking. So, for now anyway, I'm just telling them I don't have anything right now but to ask me later.

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

Go Hogs, beat SC.

Gill
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hi Gill,
You say you want,"to be able to do something when someone says "so, show me a trick".

IMO, coins is the way to go since they are commonly accessable.
Keep in mind also that most coin source instructions will use half dollars but if you truly want to do magic anytime then substitute quarters and use other small coins that are common and can be borrowed. Bobo's MCM is a good place to start.

Cards are great and I thoroughly enjoy using them. However, I personally prefer to not carry a deck in my daily life and would rather borrow one if I can.

I suggest that you take a look at my Impromptu Magic Pages (IMP) site for some possible ideas.

Look around your workplace, places you frequent and take note of what people carry. Make note of objects you might use in impromptu situations and find some tricks using those objects.

Like you I have lists of tricks using cards as well coins, finger rings, elastic bands, etc, etc.
My card list is separated into self-working, no surface require, table required, gaffed, etc. From these lists I've made sets of 2 or 3 tricks that work well together. 2 or 3 is all I'll do in impromptu situations and usually all I can remember too. Smile
Don't feel guilty about saying that you have nothing new to show when asked.
Since you're not looking to change vocations just learn a few 'pet' tricks that you can't forget and that use different props.

You're exploring and that's fine. From the things you buy, read, etc, you will learn the principles used in magic and that can be very useful in years to come.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 16:33, Harry Lorayne wrote:

Anyone attacks you over it, they will have to deal with my longwindedness. Why in the world would you not suggest your own written work on the subject, unless you aren't happy with that work, and then, why would you publish it?
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Gill,
Please believe me and stop buying "tricks" and effects and please consider investing in more books.

Do you have the complete Tarbell book set? If not that is a MUCH better investment magic wise and price wise than a bunch of effects and you will get MORE effects and a greater variety of effects from the Tarbell course.

Keep following your heart and dreams

Best wishes,
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Gill, I am right with you on your overhand shuffle problem. I drop cards all of the time and I am so sloppy I cant find my in jog 80% of the time(but my dl is almost perfect now). I am sure both of us will get better with practice. My problem is that I feel rushed due to my age 42 this year). I feel that because I am starting so late in life, I am running out of time. In my haste to learn as fast as I can, I seem to be jumping all over the place.
I have also bought lots of stuff and I feel it is a natural part of the journey. I am now going through card college and am very intrigued with mentalism. I am finally at the stage where I am buying more books than effects( still like to get the occasional cool new thing).
Good luck in your endeaver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Yes, but, how do you LEARN magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL