The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Billoon question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've really grown to love Mark Jenest's "Billoon" routine. One of the locations where I perform is an up-scale restaurant/sports bar. I perform Billoon 75% of the time in the sports bar and 25% in the restaurant. I have to say it goes over really well. It's one of my most asked for routines. What I'm looking for is an alternate method to burst the balloon. I made a miniature magic wand that has several pin points embedded in one end of the wand. I hand the proper end of the wand to the spectator and have them tap the balloon, and it bursts. On several occasions, the spectator turned the wand around and indicated that they felt something prickly. No damage was done, but now I'm not comfortable using the wand. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate method for bursting the balloon?

Thanks
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Unfortunately to a spectator, a traditional wand has no right or wrong end. However, a Harry Potter style wand (http://www.whirlwood.com/lightning/pocket-magic-wands.html) has a handle on one end and a point on the other. Also, a pen has a correct end and a pointed {ink} end. Could you create either one with small pin points on the end? Glenn
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Fork?
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
480 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
If you do any of the linking pin effects (I use the Jerry Andrus Version), you would always have a Billoon popper on hand. A side benefit is your spectator gets to handle a prop you have done...or will be doing, a miracle with.
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Coarse sand paper glued to the business end will pop a balloon, yet harms no digits.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Nonvpro

Is there a reason you don't like using the pencil, as Mark does?

Mike
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2962 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2008-10-02 14:07, nonvpro wrote:
I've really grown to love Mark Jenest's "Billoon" routine. One of the locations where I perform is an up-scale restaurant/sports bar. I perform Billoon 75% of the time in the sports bar and 25% in the restaurant. I have to say it goes over really well. It's one of my most asked for routines. What I'm looking for is an alternate method to burst the balloon. I made a miniature magic wand that has several pin points embedded in one end of the wand. I hand the proper end of the wand to the spectator and have them tap the balloon, and it bursts. On several occasions, the spectator turned the wand around and indicated that they felt something prickly. No damage was done, but now I'm not comfortable using the wand. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate method for bursting the balloon?

Thanks

I'm curious as to the reactions of unsuspecting people in the restaurant who hear the loud sound of a balloon popping. If I was about to take a spoonful of hot soup and that happened I would not be happy. I can understand it in a loud sportsbar.
Just curious is all. It's a great effect but I wouldn't perform it in a restaurant.
DP
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
I would think that performing this in a restaurant would be rather unsanitary due to the fact that saliva would spray about when the balloon is popped. Not good to do in an area where food is served and people are eating.
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
Yeah, I use this from time to time, but never in a restaurant.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1781 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
"I would think that performing this in a restaurant would be rather unsanitary due to the fact that saliva would spray about when the balloon is popped."

Funny, you would think that a lot of balloon twisters would run into this concern, but apparently not. Too much over-think, I think.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I had the same concerns as stated above. But, the final word on the matter is in the hands of the people who own the restaurants. Anytime I think there might be an issue, I run it by the owners. I will perform the routine for them and let them make the decision. In one of the restaurants where I perform, there is also live music, a sax player. He also plays table-side. When someone has a birthday or some other special occasion, he will show up at the table along with about 6 wait staff, and he plays and they sing "Happy Birthday" or some other song. If you're not aware of what's about to happen, it too can catch you off guard and startle you. I've been at this particular restaurant for 11 months and have had only one complaint. The complaint was that I was standing at a table too close to the complainer's table, and they thought it was distracting for me to have been there performing. They complained to the owner, and the owner advised them that just because it was an upscale restaurant didn't mean they didn't want to still have fun. The owner suggested to them that perhaps it would be better if they dined some place else in the future. The owners have had a very positive response from their diners. I perform Billoon 3 out of 4 times in the bar area. It's not as kicked back as the restaurant, it's a little more rowdy. The times I perform Billoon in the restaurant is when it's a special occasion, and it's most of the time a large party, a birthday or anniversary party. It's usually a table of 6 or more, and they are in a party mood.
I might add when I perform Billoon, it's after the meal is over. But, I can still see it could be a concern. When I Busk and have people standing just as close, isn't it still a concern? I think it's the nature of the effect.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Paint one end of the wand a different color. Tell the spectator to make sure to hold the "yellow" end.

Jim
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I haven't thought of Billoon for years. When I first started doing restaurant work, I featured it heavily. My "dollar bill set" was Misled, #2 pencil and then Billoon. A lot of magic for a pencil, a balloon and a borrowed bill.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Pepka,

Why did you stop using Billoon?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
No real reason, just moved on to other things. I think maybe I was tired of preparing the balloons. I probably had one or two times where I didn't have any with me and someone requested that trick. These days my whole strolling act uses a deck of cards, a few coins in a purse and an egg bag. I never have to prep anything.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Thanks for the reply.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2008-10-14 01:09, pepka wrote:
No real reason, just moved on to other things. I think maybe I was tired of preparing the balloons. I probably had one or two times where I didn't have any with me and someone requested that trick. These days my whole strolling act uses a deck of cards, a few coins in a purse and an egg bag. I never have to prep anything.

Truly evidence of an experienced performer.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Or a lazy one. ;-)
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I would like to thank everyone for their response to this topic.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I have used a lighter to burst the balloon a few times.
Tony Chapparo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Billoon question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL