The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Marshall Brodien's 70's commercials (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Does anyone remember Marshall Brodien's magic set commercials in the 70's, or is it just me?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's just you , Mike. Marshall Brodien really doesn't exist.

I'm kidding. Of course we remember them.

Remember "Most magic is easy, if you know the secret."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was wondering his secrets from his commercials. That is why I bought my first msgic set.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You mean we have Marshal Brodien to blame??!! Smile
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes, he is the one I learned from dealing with how to take most of your jobs away because I have a skillful talent in magic. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Darn, Mark Wilson has to take blame for me, Marshal Brodien has to take blame for you. Two great careers shot down in flames!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Marshall told me he got the idea to do TV when he was pitching decks on the street. He said if he could attract 20 people and sell half of them on the street he wondered how many he could sell if he could get on TV.... he was right.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Hi, I'm Jethro Bodein, professional marketer.
"Magic is easy, once you send the money.
"Take magic cards...take ALL the magic cards...take all the magic cards and don't bring 'em back again...see if I care!"

:bikes: Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
What IS Marshall doing this year? In 2007, he planned to have a new line in 2008. Cadaco doesn't carry anything with his name on it any more, though the sets look the same. Just a different magician's name on 'em.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Marshall designs most of the magic sets Cadaco puts out. He designed the Lance Burton set, The Alladin set, the Lion King set, and many others. He has also just published his autobiography.
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 14:02, Steve_Mollett wrote:
"Hi, I'm Jethro Bodein, professional marketer.
"Magic is easy, once you send the money.
"Take magic cards...take ALL the magic cards...take all the magic cards and don't bring 'em back again...see if I care!"

I guess you don't know how much trade show work, night club work and television work Marshall actually did. Pity. Marshall knows a lot more magic than you apparently think he does.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I ran across Marshall twice in my travels. Once at a trade show where he was in a small room with someone else's products and whoa-fully unappreciated. We had an hour-long conversation and I was amazed at how approach-able he was.
The first time I spoke to him, I had just put out a zombie-like ball made of vaccuum plated plastic. I was selling it thru Robbins and decided to see if Brodien would consider pitching it.
I called a number from information, and got Brodien on the first ring. I was surprised to get him directly.
After introductions, he told me he would try the ball, but I was completely floored when he said he needed 10,000 pieces just to test market the item.
I just couldn't deliver, as the ball was an intermittent source from Japan.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Marshall is a really interesting fellow. I met him at an MCA weekend in Las Vegas several years ago. I found him very approachable. I gave him one of the cards for the Cups and Balls Museum. I also asked him if he had a set of cups that he had used in performance that he would consider selling me for the museum.

After he went on line and saw what I was doing, he sent me a huge package of cups. He sent me a set of P&L cups that he had used to entertain some of the "people with black shirts and white ties" in Chicago. He also sent about a dozen different sets of cups from the different magic sets he had designed, along with several photos of him in various costumes, etc.

He wouldn't take a cent for any of it, either.

I have seen him at each of the MCA weekends since then, as well.

He has stories about people he has entertained that border on the unbelievable. But, knowing his history, I know they are true.

And he is one of the nicest guys in the business.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
The only memory I have in dealing with Marshall was at Tannen's Jubilee some 25 years ago. I had a double booth next to his, that he was sharing with Norm Nielsen. I had 3, 40 by 80" posters MINT hanging on the back of the booth for sale at $5,000 for all 3. Marshall made me an offer of $2,000 for all three, he wanted them to decorate his office. Norm kept staring at the posters but had no interest whatsoever in them (ironic isn't it?) , However at the end of the Jubilee handed he me one of HIS posters (Floating Violin) and inscribed it: "To Mario the Poster King, Norm Nielsen". Ironic, isn't it!

Incidentally, in case you are curious the 3 posters were by the Strobridge Litho Co, 1898, 1915 and 1910, portraits of Houdini, Kellar and Thurston. I did not sell them obviously, but a few years later I sold the Houdini portrait (the one on the US postage stamp) for$10,000, when I acquired 2 at more at auction.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
His book was a fun read, not being from Chicago I only knew him from the TV cards and didn't know he was also an accomplished performer featured on the local Bozo show.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He looked positively FRIGHTENING in the Wizzo makeup!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Did he do The Magic Hands segments that were televised on WGN? If I remember right they aired on the Family Classics show hosted by Fraiser Thomas.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
I think what made TV Magic Cards a success was his simple handling and ordinary delivery that made kids think if that guy coiuld do it I could do it.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
First magic set I ever owned was one of Brodien's, I guess I have him to thank. And I will never forget, "Most magic is easy, once you know the secret."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 14:54, lebowski wrote:
I think what made TV Magic Cards a success was his simple handling and ordinary delivery that made kids think if that guy coiuld do it I could do it.

That is the secret to all successful Svengali pitches. It's also the secret to being a good counterman at a magic shop.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Man o man,ya'll rang a bell with this one. I still have pieces in my trunk from the magic kit not to mention tv magic cards in perfect form. Talk about memory.I was 10 yrs old when I bought my kit.
Thanks guys.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Marshall Brodien's 70's commercials (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL