The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Barry Price Wallet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
I own a Barry Price Wallet which I purchased a while back from Owen. I love this wallet and love this routine, but find the loading a little slow for walkaround and restaurant settings. So, frequently, I opt for using my Mullica Wallet instead. The Mullica Wallet is great, but I sure would love to solve the loading issue and use the Price Wallet too.

Also, finding appropriate sized envelopes is a problem.

So my questions are 1) Any advice on speedier loasing of the Price wallet and 2) Where can one find the correct envelopes?

I appreciate any help all of you out there who use this wallet can give me.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Hocus Pocus is now distributing a new version of the Barry Price card to wallet - you may want to ask them about enveloppes refills. However, check out the price: the HP wallet price is outrageously higher than the one I saw in the Owen Magic website
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
Is it worth the money? It seems on the pricy side for a wallet prop; what makes it so special?
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

I can offer some advice on envelopes. I use a pay envelope. 5 1/2 by 3 1/2. They load very quickly. I use this wallet all the time when working my restaurant and private events. Office Max and Staples sells this type of pay envelope.

What makes the wallet so special? First, the wallet has made design changes to the wallet. The Barry Price wallet features imported French Moire silk-lined Calfskin with professionally turned corners. It is a handsome gentleman's wallet that arouses no suspicion, even under the closest scrutiny! Due to Barry's own exacting design of the wallet, there are absolutely no sliding mechanisms to load the card! The 100% sure-fire system ensures lightning fast and fool-proof instant loading of the signed card each and every time without fumbling! There is no faster or more elegant wallet on the market today!

Barry Price's Card In wallet System comes complete with a fully-illustrated instruction booklet, two different routines, the Barry Price wallet (which contains a special gimmick not found in any other type of wallet), two styles of envelopes, signed and numbered certificate of authenticity, and a performance/explanation video!

Hocus Pocus Magic has the exclusive on this item. Visit the store for more details.

Good luck!

Smile
Jason London

This space for rent
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5353 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The wallet is only part of the price. What comes with the Barry Price Wallet is the “borrowed-signed-card-stapled-inside-a sealed envelope-inside a zippered compartment” routine. The all the necessaries for that routine are included.

In fact, the Barry Price Wallet, routine, and necessary gizmos (including instructional tape and two different routines) was reviewed by Steve in his Tricks and Accessories thread here at the café! Check it out at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......71&0

Although Steve’s review tells us that this is only available through “Hocus Pocus” and all others are cheap rip-off’s, it is not quite true. Owens made and carried the Barry Price Wallet (and gizmo) routine for years. They still have it listed on their web site (item # 7025). It is NOT a cheap rip-off! At one time they were the exclusive supplier of this prop/routine. Perhaps Price hopes to reach a broader market via Hocus Pocus.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Does anyone know how the Barry Price wallet by Owens Magic compares to the one by Hocus-Pocus? Are they comparable in terms of quality? Any differences?
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Snape, it's an older thread and II don't think the Barry Price wallet is available any longer from Hocus.
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
The question remains relevant, the wallet is still available in the used market.
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Do you drive an Edsel?

:rotf:
TopChange
View Profile
Regular user
Connecticut
166 Posts

Profile of TopChange
David Williamson drives one...
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1110 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 14:27, snape wrote:
The question remains relevant, the wallet is still available in the used market.

Hi Snape, I've got a Barry Price wallet from Hocus Pocus and I've seen an Owen Magic Supreme (earlier Barry Price) wallet. From what I could see from my brief look at the Owen wallet is that the leather was a bit more supple but the design was the same. The loading mechanism and the Forbes flaps are found on both versions. I'm quite pleased with the Hocus Pocus version, but I would feel very good about purchasing the Owen wallet if it were the one available. Good luck deciding.

Best,
MJ
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Thank you, MJ. This is quite helpful.
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Update: I contacted Owens Magic and they confirmed that they still have this wallet in stock. I was quoted $275 plus shipping - not cheap, certainly, but the one that I own (which had seen a lot of use when I purchased it) has simply the best leather workmanship I've ever seen in a gaffed wallet (granted, I've not handled a Forbes Portfolio). It's also quite large, thinner than but taller and wider than a JOL Large Plus, so a jacket is a necessity and I would only use it for groups from a large dinner table on up.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 22, 2003, Harry Murphy wrote:
The wallet is only part of the price. What comes with the Barry Price Wallet is the “borrowed-signed-card-stapled-inside-a sealed envelope-inside a zippered compartment” routine. The all the necessaries for that routine are included.

Is all of that necessary?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5353 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Danny, Is it all necessary? For a simple and direct Signed Card to Wallet absolutely not! All you need is a wallet and any wallet will do. Pick one that fits your "look" and style of performing, master it and don't leave home without it.

However IF (big IF there) you want to do the "stapled", signed card to wallet routine (having to pull the staples out to remove the card and having staple holes in the card) then you will need the necessary gizmos and props.

Depends on what you want to do.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It just seems like a magicians trick to me. Once a location is "impossible" it is impossible. It is not a state subject to gradation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1128 Posts

Profile of Leo H
It isn't necessary to go through the preparation to have the envelope completely sealed for the spectator to tear open. If the envelope is prepared in the classic manner as described in the textbooks, you would remove it from your wallet and tear it open on one side. Then you can hand it to the spectator to remove the card from inside.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5353 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are right Leo. The trick may be done as you outline.

And Danny's right too. Impossible is impossible. Making it more impossible is not necessary. Heck just having a selected, signed, card end up in a pocket (no wallet, no envelope) is more than enough.

One doesn't need wallets, envelopes, boxes (clear or otherwise), or anything else.

Adding all the extras and "layers" of impossibility only adds to the length of the routine. The basic effect "selected, signed card to impossible location" is more than adequately served by just appearing in the pocket.

In fact I think that Danny hits the nail on the head for the OP. IF one wanted to do the Signed Card to Impossible location and have instant reset for a walk around and/or table hopping situation then card to pocket is all that is needed.
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
In discussions of card-to-wallet vs. card-to-sealed-envelope in wallet I've seen suggestions that the envelope takes heat off the wallet - rather than focusing on how a card could have possibly been slipped into a wallet, spectators instead focus on how a card could have possibly been sealed in an envelope (sealed with sealing wax as suggested by Barry Price and Harry Robson). There may be something to that - we slip things in and out of wallets all the time in our daily lives, but sealing something in an envelope isn't quite as common or casual an action.

Which is not at all to say that everyone should be producing cards from envelopes. Signed card to wallet is quick and powerful, and that's often the best choice.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that is over thinking.

Once it is CLEAR your hands are empty and then you take out the wallet, the idea of it being "slipped" in or what not is not relevant. ALL those things are taken care of in a competent routine. Harry is right. It lengthens the routine. I don't for a second think it makes it stronger.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Barry Price Wallet (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL