The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Looking for a book I saw mentioned...maybe here? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nomorechances
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of nomorechances
Hi everyone, and greetings from the people of P. I am new to the forum. I hope that in the future I will be able to contribute much. I was curious whether you all could help me find a book I saw mentioned, perhaps in this forum, or perhaps on a site connected in some way to it(for instance, linked) The book had to do with circus freak(not meant pejoratively, but in its usable context)stunts, I believe such as sword swallowing and many others. I've seen it referred to as the book. It is always sold with the disclaimer that it is for those 18 years old and older, and very dangerous. I am looking for it out of curiosity, not out of any desire to do any of these tricks. My stuff is generally more science oriented, focusing on a teaching of appreciation for the world(including the hidden.) I am actually new to all this. Thanks for any help. Oh yes, it's been decades since I've seen 18, so no age worries. Thanks again, Chance
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Sounds like the Swami Mantra book.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
nomorechances
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of nomorechances
Thank you. This absolutely does look like the book. I cannot believe how fast that was. I thought I would never find the name of the book again. If I can ever be of similar assistance, please ask!
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Dude. your nome de plume is "nomorechances." the SWAMI book is WONDERFUL but alas, its chock FULL of taking CHANCES.

it might not be the book for you.






;)


Baba
nomorechances
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of nomorechances
Nice catch, Gede, but actually no more chances is merely a pun on who I am, Chance. I use variations of it often. It is a near surety I would never try any of the tricks in that book but am personally fascinated by subcultures and other areas of research related to subjects breached in that tome.

Any chance anyone knows how to find that volume, as well as the Charlatan's Handbook?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Yeah, it's a little like walking into a magic shop and asking "Have you got something that will have me dead within the hour?" Smile

But it is a very fun book.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 14:19, nomorechances wrote:
Nice catch, Gede, but actually no more chances is merely a pun on who I am, Chance. I use variations of it often. It is a near surety I would never try any of the tricks in that book but am personally fascinated by subcultures and other areas of research related to subjects breached in that tome.

Any chance anyone knows how to find that volume, as well as the Charlatan's Handbook?


Do a google search on Swami Mantra and you'll get some sources to check out.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Correction, looks like it is scarce at this point. So keep an ebay search going or check out some of the carriers of used magic books like H&R http://www.magicbookshop.com (they don't have it right now).

We lost a great man and source of this type of information in this community a while back, Slim Price. But you can still search on his threads, a wealth of information.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
I should think that if the alarm raised surrounding effects like these was in order there would be far more case histories of people who have been killed or injured. Instead, there simply isn't. We hear and read about people doing these things, not about people being injured by them. Effects like these work on the principle that they look dangerous, but aren't. I'm not saying there's not a need for considerable caution, but anything in these modern, overly-litigious, mamby pamby times where kids can't ride a freaking bicycle without wearing full body armour that even smacks of the barest chance of physical injury is going to be met with cries and outrage. The fact is that people have been eating glass and fire, shoving needles through their body (for real) and passing splinters from eye to eye for centuries. If you know how--and the Swami book has GREAT instructions--the chances of injury are very slim. An idiot could mangle the finger chopper or strangle himself doing rope through neck, but that doesn't mean these effects shouldn't be sold without big red warning labels. I'm just a dweeb on an internet bulliten board, so I can say these things. Publishers of books cannot, even if they agree. It's just we don't have to turn legalese myths into something that bears repeating.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Agreed brother. but I aint performing their "needle thru eye" anytime soon Smile


haha...


great book. loved it. had to sell it to help pay rent, but had a great time contemplating the lessons therein.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
The problem is that 13 year old boneheads get their hands on such books and try out dangerous things without taking the proper precautions or actually learning HOW to to do them correctly. From time to time there ARE reports of some idiots hurting himself or killing themselves with such things. (Just look at all the videos of people thrusting spikes through their hands or setting themselves on fire.) I would suspect that most of those who injure themselves keep very quiet about their injuries and avoid publicizing them.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yea. why yall think Bill has an eye patch on? he was 13 once too.


j/k.

dam, bill hope that's not a REAL working eye patch. if so, please disregard the joke above.


leaving now...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
No, Baba, it isn't real. It came in a box of Depends. (Er, I mean "Crackerjax.")

Actually, the patch is fake, but the eye (on the outside) is real!

Bill

Oh, yeah, Baba, please don't remind me of the stupid things I did as a thirteen-year-old! Pulling the bullet out of a .22 cal cartridge, sticking a large match in the casing, sticking the match in the ground and lighting it just ain't too bright!

B
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Swami/Mantra has a lot of great stuff for the imagination. The directions, however, leave much to be desired.

It's a bit foolish to compare bicycle riding to some of the stunts that S/M teaches halfway. Spook, you refer to yourself as a dweeb. Do you have experience in stunt performance? I know most of the major "sideshow" performers, and many minor ones. I know the injuries that many of them have sustained, and my own. I've been doing this stuff for quite a while.

Chance, if you want to learn this material, you should find a live teacher. Coney Island teaches classes. So do I. There are considerable differences in our styles and goals.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 19:53, spook wrote:
I should think that if the alarm raised surrounding effects like these was in order there would be far more case histories of people who have been killed or injured. Instead, there simply isn't. We hear and read about people doing these things, not about people being injured by them. Effects like these work on the principle that they look dangerous, but aren't. I'm not saying there's not a need for considerable caution, but anything in these modern, overly-litigious, mamby pamby times where kids can't ride a freaking bicycle without wearing full body armour that even smacks of the barest chance of physical injury is going to be met with cries and outrage. The fact is that people have been eating glass and fire, shoving needles through their body (for real) and passing splinters from eye to eye for centuries. If you know how--and the Swami book has GREAT instructions--the chances of injury are very slim. An idiot could mangle the finger chopper or strangle himself doing rope through neck, but that doesn't mean these effects shouldn't be sold without big red warning labels. I'm just a dweeb on an internet bulliten board, so I can say these things. Publishers of books cannot, even if they agree. It's just we don't have to turn legalese myths into something that bears repeating.


Uh no. I am not a sideshow performer but I know many and have helped with a few dangerous stunts in my time. This has nothing to do with legalese, it has to do with knowledge of the very real dangers involved. If you think you can eat glass, or swallow a sword from a book then enjoy your short existence. Even experienced performers end up in the hospital. It is more than foolhardy to learn some of this stuff from books or reading stuff on forums. And to poopoo the dangers is simply naivete. Get an experienced teacher, you will save time and damage to your body.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Baba, Bill had thirteen eyepatches, one for each day of his week. He is, after all, a practicing triskadekaphiliac.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 22:55, Bill Ligon wrote:
No, Baba, it isn't real. It came in a box of Depends. (Er, I mean "Crackerjax.")

Actually, the patch is fake, but the eye (on the outside) is real!

Bill

Oh, yeah, Baba, please don't remind me of the stupid things I did as a thirteen-year-old! Pulling the bullet out of a .22 cal cartridge, sticking a large match in the casing, sticking the match in the ground and lighting it just ain't too bright!

B

You know Bill what is Bizarre is ANY of us making it past age 13. My story: Loved to make bombs--the usual was an old Christmas ornament, stuffed with m**** h****, set off with a fuse made of airplane glue. The wind kept blowing out my fuse--no problem--I simply shielded the fuse with my hand. Rather belatedly I realized this placed my hand within one inch of the bomb. Didn't lose any fingers, but still have glass in my left palm. Thus there is a God. My ears still ring. As a public service, I shall now block out what it was stuffed with.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yea spook, I don't agree anymore either. powers in numbers. sorry.

and wtf is a triskadekaphiliac. ill google it. damm.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Baba, don't google triskadekaphiliac! You don't want to know! There IS power in numbers.

Balaram, getting closer to the original thread, I also got a little book on fire eating. I made some torches with coat hangers and cotton, and used lighter fluid. It worked ok the first couple of times....

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes. There are a number of books on fire-eating. I shall not go onto long rants about the irresponsibility of the authors. All of them are good for something, AFTER you have an idea of what you're doing.

Again, learn from somebody who actually knows what they're doing.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Looking for a book I saw mentioned...maybe here? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL