The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Ready to Burn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Hey!

Man I've practicing Extreme Burn for a few weeks now and I just can't seem to build the courage to try it out on someone. It just doesn't feel like I can get away with a certain aspect that I feel is obvious.

I actually feel this way with a lot of the new things I've been learning. I took somewhat of a hiatus from doing magic to people and getting back into it is really a challenge for me it seems. I remember it being so easy when I was younger. Now my nerves kick my ***.

This is one of those effects that I just don't want to screw up. Did you guys just go ahead and tried it or what? Man I've read that some people played with it for a week and off they go performing it. Is that irresponsible? Or is it possible to master this in a short amount of time like that? Geez, I'm just rambling but this effect is killer and I don't want to blow it.

Andre
Any day I'm walking on top of the grass instead of looking up at the roots is a good day!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Confidence comes from doing. We all blow it from time to time, don't worry about it. If you have practiced it well you will do ok.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Yes, I agree with that 100%! I'm actually in the process of performing more. It's very exciting actually. And I wish I would have read my original post before submitting it because it needs serious editing! Smile
Any day I'm walking on top of the grass instead of looking up at the roots is a good day!
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
480 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Andre,

Maybe you should consider performing it for someone you don't know. Maybe the cashier at a convenience store, or as a way of leaving a tip at a bar or restaurant you don't frequent that often. It might help with the nerves and put things into a different perspective for you.

Also, because there are several changes to pick from, work your way up to the changes you are afraid to try right now. Success breeds success.

Another thing you should do is to visualize yourself performing this successfully and people loving it. Since thoughts are very powerful things, think good ones. I remember the saying but not who said it... "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

Good luck,
Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
The Wizards Machine
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of The Wizards Machine
I performed it a bunch of times, and the first few times, I was tense. (I had only been practicing a few days at that point.) But Wed night I brought it to my Pool league night and was knocking everybody down with it.

What I found that helps is on the first change I do the 20 , 40, 60, 80, (roll the hand over the bills), 100 change. It is much less stressful than the 'flip and slap' to the left hand. (And darn near foolproof.) I kind of don't like the slap method. I think the roll over method looks much more magical, and hey; it's the easiest one! To change back, I do the gravity flip. Just practice it a few times. Be loose, and just quickly drop your hand down a foot or so. Works wonders.

Funny thing is, I have done it for about 10 people now and not one has asked to see the bills.
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
Just do it for someone. Trust me, they will FREAK!!!
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Do you have any magician friends you can try it out on? I often try stuff out at my magic club meetings. If I tip something, they always give me honest advice, which has helped me to become a better performer. When I first did EB in front of them, they were actually impressed. They hadn't seen it before, and I had really practiced. It paid off. Now I occasionally do it when I go to pay for something. Just make sure you do one of the endings you feel most comfortable with.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Just start doing it. I did it for a girl at Dairy Queen and she really freaked out. And, like "Wizards" said, no body has ever asked to see the bills - it's all just too normal looking. You might flub a few times, (the first time I did it, it flipped up and back and nothing changed. I just did it again. Nobody even noticed).

Next time you're alone with a cashier - count out your ones, and tell them this is all you have - and just do it!! The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Jim
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
What I found that helps is on the first change I do the 20 , 40, 60, 80, (roll the hand over the bills), 100 change. It is much less stressful than the 'flip and slap' to the left hand. (And darn near foolproof.) I kind of don't like the slap method. I think the roll over method looks much more magical, and hey; it's the easiest one!

I agree that the slow gravity change is the easiest and very magical. I use it the most! This effect is awesome, but be careful with the pack. You must be aware of every angle.
Sammy J. Teague
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Just start it out and don't worry too much, the reactions it gets is in the sky.

I actually use this also in stage performances. After making one borrowed 100 bill turn to a lower domination (and take that also from him) I say, OK, OK, I'll give you a chance to win your 100 back (a laugh). All you have to do is to tell me what is the sum of these bills (take out the 5 20's and count them 1,2,3,4,5 to the audience). I'll even make it easier for you, I'll give you a hint - their sum is something you really want... (he says 100, sometimes they say 80 / 120, whatever they say - I do the switch, count them -) 100, 200, 300, 400, 500. I guess you didn't get the answer right. Sorry, you had your chance.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Andre, do not post another post until you tried it on 3 people. Post us how it came out.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
As I mentioned in my intro (as I'm new here), I've been away from magic for sometime now. Many times in the past, I've become suckered into buying some new effect and, more often than not, was sorely disappointed.
I just ordered it today, and after I did so, I then decided to do a search for the effect here so...here I am!

It's good to hear that it is getting some praise from those of you who have already had some hands-on experience with it. I'm sure anything that looks that good certainly will entail some practice. I'm ready.....I hope, as I'm really rusty!

~gaffed~
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
194 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Extreme burn is the ultimate example of what Henry Hay in Amateur Magician's Handbook refers to as a Hard Easy trick--the trick itself is almost trivially easy to do but it depends completely on a completely natural handling--if you fumble around with the packet it won't have much impact...

Because its such a strong effect I'd recommend beginners don't try it until they're comfortable performing. Doing it for strangers is a good suggestion--its perfect for use on unsuspecting cashiers...
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Gaffed,
You won't be disappointed. I performed it at my local liquor store yesterday. They were having a wine tasting, so there were a few people there. They were dumbfounded when the ones turned to hundreds. I know it's a lot of money to have tied up in a single effect, but if at all possible, do it with hundreds. It's the ultimate denomination you can produce, and the reaction is amazing.
Sammy J. Teague
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Andre,
We all fall while learning to walk. Don't overthink it-just do it.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I know what you mean when you say you feel a certain aspect is obvious. We're magicians (we know how its done) and the laymen don't know what we know. If you make it obvious, they will see it. A few times I've realized I'm nervous enough to stare straight at a gimmick because I feel like it's so obvious, that in turn gives the effect away. Confidence is key, and no matter how much you practice, the first few times you perform something you're likely to mess up or accidentally give a method away. But, from that you learn, perfect, and reperform. If you are the type that only performs for family and friends, and messing up the trick would ruin it for a limitted audience. So try it out for a random person (as was mentioned). Most people won't turn down a free show just to give their oppinion.

If nerves really are your problem, before you do a performance, stretch out your limbs. You'll notice a lot of performers (comedians, musicians, etc.) are so nervous going out on stage they'll jump around or just act silly just to loosen their muscles and that tight feeling in your chest. Also, sing a little tune in your head as you are about to go up to do your show. It helps your mind ease up and feel comfortable. Being comfortable when performing is key because being uncomfortable rushes the routines, gives away methods, and butchers patter. I think it's impossible to find someone who isn't nervous before they go on stage but there are ways to deal with it and to make each performance a learning experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Ready to Burn? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL