The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Easy to Make Close-up Stage (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
I was practicing the Cup through Cup move when my wife said that I better not be putting dings in the dining room table. I was using a close-up mat; however I was hitting the Cups fairly hard… I then thought to myself; why not build a close-up stage (PIC 1).

It is really easy to make and can be made rather quickly. I spent more time going to Home Depot for a few parts.

1-Determine what size your close-up stage should be and procure a hard board of that size. I used 1” thick MDF; the size of my stage is 15” X 18” (I already had a mouse pad that size, more on this in step 2). MDF works out well because it is very hard and less likely to warp. I purchased a scrap piece for next to nothing and Home Depot cut it to size for free.

2-In preparation for step 3, some padding needs to be glued to the top of the board. I experimented with different layers of cotton batting. I wanted the finished surface to have some give, yet be firm enough for Chop Cup use. I settled on one layer of batting and a mouse pad. Glue the batting to the board using spray adhesive. The mouse pad floats on the batting (no glue was used).

3-I used velvet for the surface material. The velvet was cut to size, cutting it 3” larger then the finished surface area all directions. The extra 3” allows the material to be rolled around the edges and be stapled to the back of the board. Iron the velvet to remove any wrinkles, use a low heat setting.

4-With the wrinkle free velvet finished side face down on the table, center the board with padding on top of the velvet. Starting on any end roll the velvet around the edge of the board pulling the velvet tautly and staple the material to the back of the board. Proceed to the opposite end and repeat the process for the remaining ends.

5-One satisfied with the tension of the velvet, use brass corners to give the covered board a more finished look (PIC 2). Home Depot also sells these. Using the brass corners also covers any sins if you have trouble wrapping the ends. I found it easier if I pre-drilled holes for any screws.

6-For a final touch and not to scratch any tables secure rubber feet to the bottom of the board.

If you have any questions please ask… thanks,
Bruce

PIC 1-
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227......0839.jpg

PIC 2
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227......0840.jpg
cougar
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of cougar
Looks nice!
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Very stylish, Bruce. Congrats.

Geoffrey
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Looks great Bruce! I like the brass corners a lot too Smile
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Looks great
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
Thanks guys for the positive comments… I have attached a picture of me actually using it.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227......0842.jpg

The next one I make will be a little larger and more than likely use green velvet or billiard table felt.

Take care,
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Easy to Make Close-up Stage (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL