The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » No promotional packet? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Suppose you want to get higher paying shows, for companies and their bigger events (not necessarily trade shows). These places are certainly familiar with hiring entertainment, and likely magicians as well. They're going to want a promo packet.

I have several shows and other accolades under my belt, but nothing for this sort of environment. How do you create a promotional package to set yourself apart, when you don't have anything spectacular to wow them with? What goes in it, when you don't have a lot to put in it?
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
1.Have you been getting letters from your clients? These are the most important item in the promo pack. You can reproduce the whole letter and/or make a pull quote sheet. Probably you will want to use both.

2. Some form of brochure that presents you and what you do.

3. These days a DVD/CD

4. And a website that you can send them to for more information.

Remember that repetition of a couple selling points for your act is what you want. Also you said you want it to set you apart, but the real question is apart from who? Who is your competition, I would guess it is not other magicians but musicians, comedians, or anything else they might do for there entertainment.

Good Luck.

Gil
mrmagic9112
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of mrmagic9112
My promo kit includes a bio, headshot, testimonials, package options, press release, copies of other news articles about me and my show, demo dvd and contact information. I put my own together. Brad Ross has a plug-n-play promo kit that can be custom made for you. It is a neat idea. you can check it out at http://www.makemagicmoney.com that might be something that could help you if you are just staring to put one together.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Another KILLER tool is Ryan Joyce's "Magic Bricks Of Success" which is the MOST complete library of professional graphic, photo graphic images, elements for the performing magician. THIS WAY you can MAKE YOUR OWN custom and unique professional marketing kit that would look lie NO ONE ELSES, but be a killer A-PILE Promo!

Check him out... there are even some 100% FREE Samples you can get and use right away! I did before I got my set and the free stuff I used got me work for MORE money that I had asked for JUST because of the way the promo came out!

Check it our for YOURSELF to see if this is a right solution for you!

http://www.BricksOfSuccess.com

Also, Eric Paul goes over, IN DETAIL in one of his amazing On-Line Videos everything you need in a Promo Kit and How and WHY of it all!

You can go to HIS site; http://www.MoreMoneyWithMagic.com and e-mail him for that specific video link… you have to see it before you do anything else! – By the way… it is FREE, he doesn’t try and sell you anything in that video! He is one of the most generous, giving guys on the planet!

Hope that helps!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Loves PRO-motion!) in Reno
<><

You can see my FREE Flyer I made at http://www.TheDean.net/bricks.html (Look at the bottom of the page to see what I mean! – Whoo hoo!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I have literally not sent out a promo kit for well over a year...

Times have changed and people want information instantly. They now turn to the internet to get the information they seek. I think hard copy promo kits will soon be a thing of the past...

The internet is instant, capable of instantly showing them your promo reel, and has the ability to present your information in a graphic way that NO printed information can do.

Lyndel
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have both and utilize both. Although the internet certainly has changed things, do not underestimate the power of the professional promo packet that a person can feel in their hands. It has power and value. Another reason I always send promo kits out is that they are easy to file away and a lot of gancies and clients like the ability to file the complete promo so that it is easy to get to. If you do a PDF based format (which I also have) you run a greater risk of the thing being lost or deleted.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I will speak to my own experience... like Kyle, I do BOTH with this caveat:

I send a "While You Are Waiting For Your REAL Gifts To Arrive In The Mail" package of digital solutions to deliver some of the 'instant gratification' they want, BUT (and this is a BIG Butt...) I always send real, printed materials and gifts in the traditional mail... and it is a LOT and it has REAL perceived Value and impact that you DO NOT GET via digital delivery alone!!

Think about the difference between getting a digital copy of my book verses getting the real thing... read or not, it has a MUCH greater value and impact in their own hands than any digital file I could ever send via the internet alone!

See... the best, most productive use of BOTH (and more...) worlds!

Especially having to do with the bigger, high priced deals... no digital only service will do the job as well or as constantly.

My real numbers demonstrate that as clearly as anything… traditional delivery (along with a little digital instant gratification up-front) always outperforms digital deliver alone by over 100% and more every time! (That is: 10 to 1… is that 100 or 1,000%?) The point is… I book nearly 95% of those who get my REAL package and less than 10% of those who get the digital info alone. I sure ain’t gunna mess with success! That is for SURE!

In my world anyway…
Deano (doin’ what works) in Reno
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Has anyone thought about combining the two and putting the electronic press materials on a disc. Cheaper to mail, the client still gets something in hand and if they want they can print off materials they need.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2728 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think sometimes we confuse computers and the internet. While most all businesses nowadays have, need, and use a computer, very few of them depend on the internet to run their business. The computer is real, the internet is not.

Maybe you can touch base with the very small one man run business, or the very large corporations via the internet. But it forces all those in between to do business differently from what they normally do.

As much as I stay online, I haven’t checked my email at my business in a month. I know I’m ole fashioned, but I think I am a long way from being alone.

One day maybe, just not yet for many.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Thanks for the input, I'm already working on putting the video I have together with other material I have. A filmmaker friend of mine owes me a favor. The other materials, I'll have to pull together and get from other sources.

Thanks again,

Josh
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Tom… YOU are such a winner! Thanks!

The POINT is to use ALL of the most powerful tools to get the most powerful RESULTS, ‘not’ just to save a few cents, isn’t it? Oh SURE, if we can do some of each (have the highest impact AND save some shekels… GREAT!

Usually, based on my experience, saving a few pennies COST a TON more that the pennies saved. Providing value in the sales and influence process is NOT the time to cheap out in my experience.

YES… Use as many of the influence modalities as possible to win the greatest response possible… Duh! (YES… Online as well as Offline! Or Techno and Non Techno as Tom Aptly points out!)

It is NOT an “Either/Or” type of thing! It is a “What Ever It Takes” kinda thing when done correctly!

Oh the never-ending discussion. Some will applaud, others will not… oh well, such s life.

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (using it ALL) in Reno
<><

Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-10-06 12:59, Lyndel wrote:
I have literally not sent out a promo kit for well over a year...

Times have changed and people want information instantly. They now turn to the internet to get the information they seek. I think hard copy promo kits will soon be a thing of the past...

The internet is instant, capable of instantly showing them your promo reel, and has the ability to present your information in a graphic way that NO printed information can do.

Lyndel

I have to agree here. They want everything emailed. Kind of hard to email a news article.

Does anyone know how I can copy/scan a news article and post it on my website? Much obliged.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Candini,

Just scan it and save it as a jpeg and post it as a picture. Alternately you can save it in pdf format for e-mailing to the client as The Dean suggested above.

Lyndel
Ryan Joyce
View Profile
New user
Canada
28 Posts

Profile of Ryan Joyce
I am going to pipe in my ideas to the original question, for those of you who know me you understand how opinionated I am on this topic.

Josh the first part of your original question is how to get higher paying shows and the answer is actually quite simple.

YOUR marketing material (be it digital or printed) MUST match the quality of your shows.

This is a very easy concept to grasp, but the execution is the difficult part (more on this later.)

I am going to make the assumption that your performances and shows are outstanding, and therefore your marketing material, promotional photographs, designs, support material MUST BE OUSTANDING.

If your show isn’t as good as your promotional material… you’ll get booked once. If your promotional material isn’t as good as your show… you’ll have a hard time getting gigs.

YOUR PRODUCT and YOUR PROMOTIONS are directly proportional.

How to make your package unique was the other question… its easy, but will involve some investment. It has been my opinion (which has worked quiet well for me) that PHOTOGRAPHS really sell. Without injecting old clichés I would recommend that you immediately set out to get quality photographs that sell YOU and your show.

Dean mentioned above a success solution available http://www.BricksOfSuccess.com that I developed. Its sole purpose is the nature of your question: how to easily make your material stand out, and also setting the quality standard of YOU (which coincidentally is your price range) While I am not intending to force any product on you, I certainly would recommend that you BUY into this concept: The Ritz Carleton marketing material looks a whole lot different than Howard Johnson. If you’ve ever stayed at the Ritz you understand the difference.

I have some opinions on Magicians promotional photographs that I can share sometime, but let me say the most important concept you should follow and do yourself a favour and follow this golden rule… make sure your main shots have you SMILING. I don’t care what magicians “think they are” or “who they want to be”, if you are looking to sell yourself and endear yourself to clients… there better be a smile on your face.

Best,

Ryan
Let's connect:
My website https://ryanjoyce.com
Magicians Talking Magic Podcast http://magicianstalkingmagic.com
Magicians Masterclass https://magicianmasterclass.com
OWOW Magic Festival https://magicfestival.ca
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I have to agree with the idea that both a traditional and Electronic Press Kit are valuable tools. Agents won't bother to mail out your fancy folder and materials, so it is a waste sending extra folders to them - but clients are extremely impressed when a printed package arrives in the mail.

I believe that soon, printed packages will be a thing of the past, or only for very high end jobs. An EPK can be kept on your web site in a pdf format, easily updated and present a classy picture to potential clients.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Wow, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I've finally made it through "Hustle, Hustle" and Joel gives some fantastic guidelines on how to construct a promotional packet, and I realized that I had everything I've needed all along (save updated head shots). I'll be putting everything together in the coming weeks.

Thanks again!

Josh
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Great info, everyone! While I agree with the guys above who are all digital (I haven't sent out hard copies in years either), I also believe what works for one person might not work for another.

The info bout photos is spot on, too. We are a visual society and the pictures have to say quality. Dean, I think I remember you saying "look like your potential client.". If you dress and look like them, it makes the sell easier.

Of course for every rule there is an exception!

Again, great info on raising the bar and advancing to the next level!

Scott
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have put an electronic press kit on my website, and if people want one, they can print it off themselves.

Seems to work.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I actually have both and I do use my visual based promo kit to mail out to prospective festivals and fairs. With it being a committee decision, there is stillmuch power to be had in something they can physically see and touch and pass around.

However, I do have everything else in electronic format as well. These are in PDF so that I can send anything out to anyone with ease. It works really nice when there is a committee meeting coming up and I can send over a PDF promo kit or flyer or photos and have the prospect have them instantly to print out or email over to others.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Very good point regarding the committee 'touchy' factor, Kyle. Good thinking.

PDFs are a great tool, as they are small, easy to send digital files that anyone can open, and I love using them.

Something I just thought of today is that you can always push the digital kits on your site with a "Green" logo by having them opt for the "Environmentally Friendly Promo Kit."

Thanks, Kyle!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » No promotional packet? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL