The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The clip shift? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1575 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 20:39, daffelglass wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 19:58, coinguy wrote:
I can do this pretty well. If you keep practicing it, your hand will make the necessary adjustments on its own. Well, that's what happened to me.

I agree, that what has happened to me as I've been practicing. In a week of solid work I've gotten rid of most of the problems, I think I'll have it now in less than a month. I'm wondering if its worth putting time into the 26 shift though, even Nelson can't do it invisibly.

Right, practice makes perfect. On the other hand, the issue of 26 shift is similar to moving 51 cards to control 1 card for the pass... I think it is a kind of personal philosophy in magic... imho.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I struggle with this move. It's funny; but, I think I was closer to getting it when I first attempted it- Somewhere along the line I seem to have regressed. I haven't tried it in a few weeks, though; so, maybe the rest did me some good.

Wish me luck!

-Allen M.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 21:14, Steven Leung wrote:

Right, practice makes perfect. On the other hand, the issue of 26 shift is similar to moving 51 cards to control 1 card for the pass... I think it is a kind of personal philosophy in magic... imho.

I never understood this ("the sidesteal is better then a shift because you only have to move one card instead of 52 to control a card") thinking. The real truth is that it's a MOVE. One move to control a card versus one move to control a card. In fact, with most sidesteals, there are TWO actions (the steal and square up) versus one action (The dip) with the shift.

So, be nice to the shift. It gets more flack then HL!
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Mr Roy
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mr Roy
I'm still practicing this move and also HL's Ultra move.
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
Rewatch Chad doing the move on the DVD over and over again, it also helps to deeply analyse the booklet, every single detail mentioned on the DVD and in the booklet is crucial to getting a good Clipshift.

SP
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1161 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Darn, I ordered the whole DVD for that move only, but I still look forward to study it next week when it arrives.
joudini
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of joudini
I hold it in deep biddle
iambest
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of iambest
I've practised for 2 days now. At first the move seemed impossible, my fingers ached in all places after attempting the move for a couple times in a row, my frustration has been and still is enourmous.

Today I've actually accomplished to avoid outjogging the top card while performing the clip shift, I still have problems with sound and replacing the card. This is absolutely the hardest move I've encountered but I think with daily practice and dedication it's manageable.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 16:41, iambest wrote:
I've practised for 2 days now. At first the move seemed impossible, my fingers ached in all places after attempting the move for a couple times in a row, my frustration has been and still is enourmous.

Today I've actually accomplished to avoid outjogging the top card while performing the clip shift, I still have problems with sound and replacing the card. This is absolutely the hardest move I've encountered but I think with daily practice and dedication it's manageable.

I gave up and sold the dvd in the let's make a deal session.

I was getting pain in the whole right hand especially in the base or the knuckle of the index finger and I did not want to risk getting injured for just one move.

It is an incredible move,so I wish the rest of you good luck with it.
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Chad taught me this move in person at Tannen's a few months ago - I can attest to the fact that it is silent, deadly and invisible in the hands of someone who has mastered it. I am not that someone but having learned it from the source I think I have a good understanding of the action. I will say that I do not think the dvd and accompanying booklet teach it very well. Both leave out what I believe to be a crucial aspect of the sleight, that once noticed and focused on make the move silent. PM me if you can prove you have the dvd and want to know MY thoughts on the discrepancy.

T
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
LF: When I first started with the sleight, my index finger knuckle got quite excruciatingly painful, and I had trouble bending it. (That said, I practice about a thousand times a day for several weeks.) I've been revisiting the shift (afterall, it is so awesome!) and found that the shift can be done with minimal tension of the right hand. If you ever felt like going at the Clip Shift again, a relaxed hand may be worth trying.

As for my progress after 6 months: I eliminated the "click" long ago and can mostly align the cards, but I find it incredibly difficult to not flash between the right 2nd/3rd fingers when the hand is held stationary (as in the dribble control). At speed, I also get a scraping sound on the replacement (like I'm dealing quickly) Lithyem, does that happen to Chad as well, or is it completely silent?
Dove84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Dove84
I recently started working on this move and it's insanely difficult. I can blunder through it a few times before my hand starts cramping. Chad makes this look so simple. I plan on seeing this through and learning it, no matter how long it takes, because it's one of the best moves I've come across in a long time.
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
This move is difficult in every sense of the word. I have three issues with it before: (1) the scraping sound, (2) the flash on the edge of the hand and (3) the upper card moving out of position (outjogging most of time). I can't say enough that practice is the only solution. An outward bend on the deck helps (which I saw one of the Buck twins do) eliminate no 3. Proper grip would also help. Clipping it correctly to the 2nd/3rd would eliminate no 1 and 3 as well. Just my thoughts.
m.taylor
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of m.taylor
26 shift is a lot harder to do than the clip shift.
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
For those of you working on this move, I will have to reiterate that dedicated, concentrated practice is ESSENTIAL. This move is incredibly difficult to learn but so worth it in the long haul.

I have been working on the clip shift since it first came out in Surfaced, and only recently (the last few months or so) has it been hitting exactly where I want it. The key is to really analyze every nuance of the move and see exactly where you're going wrong. For example, I had developed pretty good speed on the clip shift over the summer, but then I realized that it was still making a lot of noise as the card cleared. I had to slow down the move in practice to figure out exactly where the noise was coming from and try to eliminate it. Several months later, the noise was eliminated.

This move is something that takes a lot of time to perfect. However, I can guarantee you won't regret it.
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Indeed, a fast, smooth, soft AND SILENT clip-shift needs a lot of pain on fingers Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
Rói Heinason
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Rói Heinason
This really is an incredibly hard move that will take ages to perfect(or even get close to that). But there is great deal of satisfaction when you see yourself changing the card in the mirror and almost fooling yourself.

As for practicing the sleight, remember that practice does not make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect so please do really study the booklet to see if your finger positions are in the right spots.
niyade
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of niyade
I suffered excruciating pain in my middle and ring fingers for 1 month when I first practiced this move. Now I can complete the move but I have the same problem as you Smile.
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
This is a very knacky move. My hand size has surely given me favor with this sleight. But even that can't save me from the obnoxious little wrinkles (audible shift, flashing, top card sidejogging)that only studied practice can iron out. Become enemies with them and vow to overcome them no matter the cost. Everyday the shift get's better for me and granted I'm only a month into this behemoth of a move, I know that a hundred or so executions a day will yield nicely steam pressed sleight that my repertoire will gladly don. Good luck monkeys and remember you can't rush perfection.
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1066 Posts

Profile of reese
I don't believe it's meant to be a burn move; it needs some misdirection.

Oh... and y'all are wimps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The clip shift? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL