The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning old coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I just recieved about two dozen wallking liberty coins and they need to be cleaned. can anybody suggest a cleaning product that will make the coins look new again?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Just about any silver polish should do the trick. Tarnoff will also work. Not wanting to purchase anything , try toothpaste.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
Quote:
On 2008-10-07 12:05, Father Photius wrote:
Just about any silver polish should do the trick. Tarnoff will also work. Not wanting to purchase anything , try toothpaste.

Do you know if this will work with Eisenhower Dollars.
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
Toothpaste works pretty well on all silver and clad coins. It's nice because it doesn't take off as much tarnish/patina as a silver polish or other method, so you can control the appearance if you aren't going for super shiny.

If you want super-shiny (and want to use stuff in your house already), I'd also recommend a paste of baking soda and water, which is effective and relatively gentle.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
My wife a silver cleaner for her jewlery will this work for coins?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17198 Posts

It should.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
My I suggest if your going to use silver polish I wouldn't use those coins for a show or anything until you have handled them for a couple weeks. The polish will make them a tad slippery and we wouldn't want you to drop one in a middle of a set becasue of that.
Good luck
any of the above suggestions work so go to it my friend
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Practise with them for a few days....that's usually all that is needed.
Wes
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17198 Posts

Both Tarnex and toothpaste do not leave a waxy protective coat behind, and you can use them right away.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I actually used a tiny bit of johnson's baby lotion believe it or not. I rubbed a small bit of it on my half dollar and now it smells good and is really comfortable to classic palm as well as do other sleights. didn't exactly clean it but, yea.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-10-07 12:04, B Hackler wrote:
I just recieved about two dozen wallking liberty coins and they need to be cleaned. can anybody suggest a cleaning product that will make the coins look new again?

Why specifically do you want to clean them? They way you got them is what folks expect them to be - old and tarnished with years of grime in the nooks and crannies. What would they be if you cleaned them to remove the tarnish and grime?

Let's say you can't leave things be as they are - sad but some folks are that way - what can you do to make them a little prettier without ruining that authentic look they have now? Two things have worked pretty well when I tried - first just handling them for a few weeks - as I have moist hands. Second - I put the coins in my jeans pocket when I did the wash, just a few at a time.

I still suggest leaving the coins as is. The past is what it is - why ask your coins to suffer from nostalgia.

However - note - if you really did get XF/AU or better coins - they just have a patina on them and collectors won't be amused if you apply tarnex and leave them all silvery again.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I agree with JT. I think walking liberties should look worn in. If someone sees you using a 1945 coin they are going to wonder why it isn't all warped. I like the look of liberties. they have that black outline to them.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I would like to leave the coins the way they are but they are in need of a good cleaning. I purchased the coins at a yard sale and they are in great shape but when you look at the coins they look dirty. Thanks for all the help.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When it comes to copper, I use Brasso.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Try a soft clean cloth, like an old cotton sock. Enough to get any grime off but leave most of the tarnish and patina. This has worked well for me, I prefer there be tarnish/highlights to bring out the design.

for a little more clean try a silver polishing cloth, I like this as I can control how much I take off. I find polishes remove all the grime and tarnish leaving them too bright for my tastes.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17198 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-10-08 01:35, Dynamike wrote:
When it comes to copper, I use Brasso.

Good recommendation for copper coins, Mike, but the thread is about Walking Liberty coins which are silver.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Silvo" is a well known trusted cleaner for Silver.
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
This is the exact thread I need to read, as my coins are looking rather dull. I am just wondering, what kind of toothpaste does anyone think works best? I have like a green gel kind, does it really matter?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
I use Flitz. Works on silver, copper, brass like a charm.
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
OKay,I will just buy a product I know to work. I can't wait for shiny coins again Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning old coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL