The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning old coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 14:48, jonhall19 wrote:
This is the exact thread I need to read, as my coins are looking rather dull. I am just wondering, what kind of toothpaste does anyone think works best? I have like a green gel kind, does it really matter?

Gel works as well as white paste. Most any brand of toothpaste will do the job.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I heard using Photius' beard as a scrubbing pad will work. Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Try Lemon Juice from real lemon
this is the natural way to clean coins
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2008-10-10 09:00, Dynamike wrote:
I heard using Photius' beard as a scrubbing pad will work. Smile

Hahahaha! That's funny...
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
A bit of salt on a damp rag will also clean up copper or silver coins.
Magic is Everywhere
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

No my beard works much better.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-10-07 21:35, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-07 12:04, B Hackler wrote:
I just recieved about two dozen wallking liberty coins and they need to be cleaned. can anybody suggest a cleaning product that will make the coins look new again?

Why specifically do you want to clean them? They way you got them is what folks expect them to be - old and tarnished with years of grime in the nooks and crannies. What would they be if you cleaned them to remove the tarnish and grime?

Let's say you can't leave things be as they are - sad but some folks are that way - what can you do to make them a little prettier without ruining that authentic look they have now? Two things have worked pretty well when I tried - first just handling them for a few weeks - as I have moist hands. Second - I put the coins in my jeans pocket when I did the wash, just a few at a time.

I still suggest leaving the coins as is. The past is what it is - why ask your coins to suffer from nostalgia.

However - note - if you really did get XF/AU or better coins - they just have a patina on them and collectors won't be amused if you apply tarnex and leave them all silvery again.

I guess everyone has their own style now, but many would want to keep old coins looking sharp, not as if they have not been cared for all along. I guess it depends on what "look" you are going for.

You prefer the old beat up road weary look, he wants clean coins which shine. Each has their own good points and bad points.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
My Morgans are clean, sharp and shiny....but they have never been cleaned. I use them and carry them with me all the time.

BTW, the most of them were very tarnished and dull when I got them.
Wes
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
Well on the opposite side of this coin Smile let's say that I have some barbers that look too shinny and 2 that have the nice black outline worn look ... is there a way to make the 2 shinny ones have the black outline worn look?

Also I have a Morgan that was very worn when first bought but now this constant use ti is losing that dark shadow tint ... anyway to use this coin constantly but still keep the worn and old look? When I bought this coin I did so cause of the gray and black outlines and tint to the coin ... a lot of the other coins when in alittle better shape but none as nicely tinted as this one ... I asked the coin dealer why some where shinny and others like this one or even more blackly tinted and he stated that it was the way it was stored ... I should have asked for him to explain but didn't Smile ... Anyone have knowledge on this? thanks
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Bleach will darken them nicely... then gentle rubbing to shine up the highlights.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I have some pretty shiney Morgans that I would like to look a little older. I asked David Neighbors about it and he told me to store them with rubber bands in the case. He said not to use color bands. I haven't tried it yet, but will.
Sammy J. Teague
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
I will try the bleach first and will look for some rubber bands ... interesting thanks
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

There is a substance called "Liver of Silver" that is used by jewelers to antique silver, you can do a net search on it.
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
I looked it up and ran across "liver of sulfur" but no liver of silver could that be it?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Yes, now that I think about it, I do believe that is the correct name.
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
Ok cool Smile just making sure and thanks
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Off topic:
If you will have a older looks on your silvercoins, take them to a jeweler and he can "oxidize" the coins for you. After that you only need use them and rub them with your fingertips and they will got a natural old look after some days/weeks. You can also carefuly use a rag with silverpolish and shine them a little bit if you don't use the coins every day....or need them the same afternoon in a show.
With this technique you can got the coins in exact the look you personal like.

This is the same procedure they do with silverjewelrys. (of course designed oxidized silverjewelrys)
For many years ago (15-20) when I worked in the jewelertrade we used a stuff called "Pariser Oxid".

http://www.zujeddeloh.de/produkte/goldsc......304.html

If you don't like the look after you have oxidized the coins, you can simply rub them with ordinary silverpolish and they are back to "old" shining again.

Back to topic: only rub them with ordinary silverpolish.

-Morten-
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Don't clean them, being a numismatist as well as a magician, cleaning takes away a lot of their value if you ever decide to sell them, as a magician though, I'd suggest you leave the patina on them as well because they are mean't to look old.

You could buy some common date raw BU walking liberties for cheap though.
BU=brilliant uncirculated
raw=not encapulsated
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
The coins I talking about is nothing for a numismatist.
Magicans are using matching coins set with gaff + s**** e.g and the coins is already destroyed for a numismatist. I absolutely believe the coins can sell for a lot of money to another magican.....but what numismatist will pay for a destroyed coin..gaffed...??? And if you already have a matching coins set, why split them up again....sell them on Ebay to another magican..
I will guess the manufacturers order coins with low price to make gaffs e.g., they don't use coins who are from a "rare vintage" e.g. If they do, the set with matching coins and a s**** will have three times so high prices.

-Morten-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning old coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL