The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Tally Hos or Bicycles? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

satcom
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of satcom
I always use Bicycles and have never tried Tally Hos. Which do you think is better and why? Keep in mind, I mean regular, not Ellusionist customs.

Im also wondering if Ellusionists Custom decks are better than the normal decks.

satcom
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
I always use Bicycles because they are easier to find (you can get them in either Wal-Mart or Sam's).

Bob Phillips
satcom
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of satcom
Costco sells a brick of TWELVE Bicycles for only $13. Talk about a steal. But which is better quality?
Mr Roy
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mr Roy
I have both tally ho's and bicycles, Tally hos is good if you have sweaty hands because when I practice My hands get sweaty and it ruins the bicycles as it makes it bigger up to a point that it does not fit the card box anymore.
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
I personally think tally's are better due to the fact of there being a lenon back finish. I also think they last 4 times as long as any bicles.I feel that the custom decks from any website are useless due to the fact when I am performing that I want to keep it simple.I want it to look as if I went to walmart to buy my Playing cards.Taht is the persona I want to keep.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
If you never need a gaffed card, then perhaps it doesn't matter. Bicycle probably offers more specialty cards than any other manufacturer and they are more widely available than most others.

Eventually, if you do card magic long enough, you will have a use for some sort of gimmicked card.

I like to be consistant with the type and the back color of my cards ( unless of course the effect requires a color change to the back ). IMO, changing out deck types during the course of your routines, sends out smoke signals to most spectators.
satcom
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of satcom
Thanks for the info about keeping it simple. I think I will definitely try out some Tally Hos.
CyrusTX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CyrusTX
Just pick up various brands and play with them. The one you like the best is the one you should use!
dafin77
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of dafin77
Tally Hos are more flexible. Bikes feel brittle by comparison. I much prefer Tally Hos.
David Finkelstein
dafin77@hotmail.com
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3026 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Tally for manipulation, Bikes for tricks.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I just picked up 5 boxes of new circle fan tally-ho's for $50 at an auction.

that's a lot of cards!!!

But it was such a GREAT deal, I couldn't pass it up.

I opened on deck and they fan like butter!

You can never have enough cards.

I don't know what a sleeve of Tally cost new?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
Between Tally Ho and Bicycle, I think Tally has the edge on quality. However, both will satisfy anyone's needs.

One thing you need to keep in mind, though, are geographics. Laymen in many parts of the country (Speaking USA) are not familiar with the Tally Ho design. Bicycles are the most recognizable by far in stores and in the games they play.

Bringing out Tally Ho cards in these areas will most likely raise suspicions of a "trick" deck in play, either verbally, or in their thinking. You don't want that.
DLarkins
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
59 Posts

Profile of DLarkins
I prefer Tally Ho's to bicycles - but not by much... just a personal thing. Also, if you like Tally Ho, you should give a try to Stud brand cards. They are exclusive to Walgreens, and are very similar in quality and construction to Tally Ho's.
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I bought one of the new Bicycle plastic decks. I wish all my cards and gaffs were made from that material. They are a pleasure to use. It doesn't get any better than that for me.

dsalley13
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 15:01, Cardician99 wrote:
Laymen in many parts of the country (Speaking USA) are not familiar with the Tally Ho design. Bicycles are the most recognizable by far in stores and in the games they play.

Bringing out Tally Ho cards in these areas will most likely raise suspicions of a "trick" deck in play, either verbally, or in their thinking. You don't want that.

Again, this argument pops up, and I still don't buy it. I've been all over the USA and parts of Canada, and 9 times out of 10 the decks that lay-people have in their homes are whatever was cheap or what they got at a gift shop or dollar store. Backs with puppies, flowers, the Statue of Liberty, Coke, Fritos, a bank, etc. Many times they're bridge size.

Only magicians seem to think that Bikes are "the least suspect" when, in point of fact, there are more gaffed Bike decks than any other back design in the world! Do you honestly think that a laymen who might think "trick deck" doesn't also suspect that such a deck can be made from ANY back design---including bikes?

The ONLY way to completely allay the suspicions of these people is to use THEIR deck! Or have them buy the deck and bring it to the party or venue. Otherwise, if they're thinking "trick deck", they're thinking that regardless of what deck YOU brought.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 13:10, Neznarf wrote:
I just picked up 5 boxes of new circle fan tally-ho's for $50 at an auction.

that's a lot of cards!!!

But it was such a GREAT deal, I couldn't pass it up.

I opened on deck and they fan like butter!

You can never have enough cards.

I don't know what a sleeve of Tally cost new?

Butter cannot fan.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Tally Hos or Bicycles? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL