The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need help with "Two bits in a bottle" by Lonnie Chevrie (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Lonnie Chevrie has a routine on one of his DVDs called "Two bits in a bottle". Its a quarter in bottle routine. Anyone know where I might find a bottle something close to the one Lonnie uses? I've looked everywhere all the time with no luck.

Thanks
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I've not seen Lonnie Chevrie's dvd, however, I'm familiar with the effect. I use a small make-up bottle. Just go to the cosmetics section at your local drug store. Lots of small bottles to choose from.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
My fav-o-rite coin in bottle and the only one I perform. Find a bottle of clean make up by cover girl for liquid make up, it’s a small triangular shaped bottle. You will also need a “wave cut” quarter NOT a profile cut and may I suggest while your at it find some tweezers that fit in the bottle.

One be-u-ti-ful routine all wrapped up and ready to go.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Thanks for the tips.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
That sounds just like John Bannon's routine from Smoke & Mirrors. Was he just publiching Lonnie's routine?

Williamson's Strike Vanish is a great way to get the coin in the bottle. Does Lonnie use that in his routine?
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
John published a version of my coin in the bottle in his book and vhs tape, Smoke and Mirrors. At the time John was not aware of my connection to his routine, I found this out much after the fact. John is a good guy and an honorable man, I am certain that he would have given me credit if he had been aware of my connection to this routine. That is the way things work in magic. Things are not just black and white, there is a lot of gray area...
To answer the original question, yes the triangular shaped clean make-up bottle by cover girl will work for this effect. The bottle that I used on the dvd and still use today is an old Signal mouthwash sample bottle. BTW if you use the make-up bottle you may have to make the opening to the bottle a bit larger with waterproof sandpaper, as it comes it is about 40 thousands of an inch too small. To use a wave cut quarter the opening should be 1/2 inch, there are other bottles that will work, that is for sure but for strolling performance the small triangular shaped bottle is hard to beat.

nonvpro, if you have any questions regarding this routine feel free to email or pm me for details...

Lonnie Chevrie
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Hi ixnay66,

No Lonnie does not use the strike vanish. You could however use it. Its a great routine.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2008-10-09 13:26, Chevrie wrote:
The bottle that I used on the dvd and still use today is an old Signal mouthwash sample bottle.
Lonnie Chevrie

You darn old coyote, following your TAOM lecture I have been in every cosmetics center within 50 miles. Getting weird looks because I was asking for Max Factor whipped foundation crème !@#!
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Ehands,

You and me both. People are beginning to wonder about me.
cabin fever
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cabin fever
Can somebody tell me what is a wave cut quarter and where to get one and what is the difference then a profile cut one?
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Came across this thread while looking for a modern reference for a suitable bottle - and there was Lonnie himself suggesting a variety of nail bottle varnish. Any way Profile cuts are more expensive folding coins as they are cut to match the head on the coin. Wave cuts are simply a curvy line - not quite as discreet, but will usually fold smaller, hence their recommendation.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
"Two bits in a bottle" by Lonnie Chevrie is an EPIC Coin Routine! I have a profile cut but could never get the rubberband to fit again. Big gaps. I gave up and now do Prohibition (Cap In Glass Bottle) by Charlie Justice.

Doug
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Which brands of nail polish varnish work? The life of a magi..hunting for things nobody else even looks twice at
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Does the 'new' Covergirl clean bottle work for this effect? Anyone out there on this forum anymore? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/ef/73/......f3bd.jpg
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2022, Goldfield wrote:
Does the 'new' Covergirl clean bottle work for this effect? Anyone out there on this forum anymore? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/ef/73/......f3bd.jpg

Since I posted on this almost 14 years ago, the make-up bottles I obtained are no longer made. It looks like the Covergirl Clean make-up bottle with the white cap may work. You might have to buy one to find out. The folded coin has to be able to go through the bottle neck and the cap has to be tall enough to hold the folded coin.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Thanks for your reply. The old white capped bottles are out of circulation now replaced with the one I posted above. I hear you on testing it's just not sold locally so was hoping to avoid waste.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2022, Goldfield wrote:
Thanks for your reply. The old white capped bottles are out of circulation now replaced with the one I posted above. I hear you on testing it's just not sold locally so was hoping to avoid waste.

Google: Covergirl beige makeup fragrance free at Walmart. The white capped bottle should show up.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
I found it but, I'm not in the US. Here's the one Nicholas kindly shared: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cover-Girl-Wa......10321452
Laffski
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Laffski
I used to do Lonnie’s routine but eventually had issues with the band breaking on the coin (as many do, I think), and haven’t returned to it since. I had some spare bands but the same issue happened after a few performances so I was always anxious about it happening during the trick and stopped doing it. Loved that routine though. I found a makeup bottle similar to the one in the link mentioned here and that worked very well BTW.

Has anyone found a source for really reliable bands? I recall someone putting out a coin with bands that were identified as “never-break” or something like that, but have not been able to find these. I’d definitely go back to doing this routine if I could find bands I could be confident in.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
You might be referring to the Tango internal fold coin?

As for bands, I've had great success with Propdogs quality. As for breaks, it's bound to happen so embrace the danger element!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need help with "Two bits in a bottle" by Lonnie Chevrie (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL