The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Query: Grandmother's Necklace presentation?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
442 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I've asked this question on several other forums, and nobody seems to know, so I thought I'd try here, where the focus is on presentation:

Does anyone know what the original presentation was for "Grandmother's Necklace" that gave it that name? Did the magician tell a story about his/her granny's necklace? If so, what exactly was the story?

A related question could be asked about presenting the trick under the name of the
"Hindu Beads:" obviously you could tell a story claiming to be based on how the Indian magicians did a trick where the beads represented whatever, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah but what exactly was the story that was told?

These things are probably lost in the mists of antiquity, but I am curious about them. Alternatively: does anyone just have any good ideas for how to present just the old, basic trick under either of those names, whether it's the ORIGINAL presentation or not? Thanks!
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Walking through a rope and Dante's "Lazy Magician" are both platform/stage variants of the old effect. To develop presentation ideas for this effect, instead of fixating on the beads, consider that the effect is basically a penetration.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
442 Posts

Profile of Hushai
But see, I KNOW about walking through a rope, etc... That's not what I want to do.

What I'm interested in is, how do you present it if you WANT to do it with beads SPECIFICALLY? One reason I ask the question is that I teach world religions, and when I talk about Hinduism it would be nice to do
"the Hindu beads" for my class and to have some kind of story that relates the beads to Hindu beliefs.

I can't seem to think of a convincing link between Hinduism and the beads; yet, apparently, somewhere in the dim and distant past, somebody did find such a link -- what was it? Why was the trick called "the Hindu beads?"

Or, more generally, if I don't want to do a big stage number where I walk through a rope or something like that, if I just want a nice little pocket trick to carry around with me, the beads would be great, but I need a story to go with it, and apparently at one time some magician told a story about his or her "Grandmother's Necklace" to go along with the bead trick. What might that story have been? Any guesses, in the absence of verifiable historical data? I seem to draw a blank on this.
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
The presentation you are seeking isn't important..... you wouldn't be able to relate to it anyway.

Try to instead come up with your own... and most importantly... it doesn't have to be true or even believable... just a story.

Do the effect over and over talking about the magic "beans" of Jack and the Beanstalk that were drilled and strung so they wouldn't grow to the giants kingdom.... but they still have some of their magic left... etc, etc...

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
442 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I guess I haven't made this clear: I am interested in TWO things:
(1) suggestions, just suggestions, I know I have to adapt it to my own presentation style for actual performance to serve me as a guide for my own development of a routine.
AND
(2) just a purely academic, history-of-magic, knowledge-for-its-own-sake question, a thoroughly non-practical question, about how the "Grandmother's Necklace" or "Hindu Beads" presentations used to go. See??

A "Jack and the Beanstalk" presentation? That's interesting -- but,I wouldn't be able to relate to it anyway. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hushai,
If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I recall a piece in the Linking Ring magazine of many years ago on the original routine for Grandmother's Necklace.

It was based on a "treasure trove" found, by the magician as a small boy, in the family attic, which included a pearl necklace of granny's and a number of other things (that went on the necklace, to be released later) and the whole pile of stuff was in a
"jewelery box", which also came off when the rod (I can't remember the justification for it) was removed.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
442 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Thank you, Peter Marucci! Once again, you come to my assistance. (You have helped me before, in this and other magic forums.) Maybe I can find the reference you're talking about. Thanks to my other respondents, too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Query: Grandmother's Necklace presentation?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL