The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Just what are the rules? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
103 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
I'll respond tomorrow, to your above post. I'm too tired tonight. Maybe you haven't been around, long enough. When you don't know what an EFFECT IS, it's obvious that you're a Johnny Come Lately, The OP, and, perhaps YOU, should read TARBELL, so you know what you are talking about.


This is very interesting to me Mr. Oslund, because I know I've accidentally interchanged these words before. An effect is what the audience perceives. A trick is what the magician performs. So what the magician purchases from a supplier would either be a gimmick or the instructions on how to perform a trick. Am I right? Or am I wrong?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It could be a prop! (e.g.; a silk, or a set of "xxxing" balls, or a deck of gaffed cards or even an Okito Box! (Those are not gimmicks. A gimmick is an unseen device", needed to perform a trick. Yea, you are basically correct.

I get very impatient with "magicians" (note " " !) who don't know basic nomenclature, and, don't bother to learn.

I learned those terms, when I was 14.

Gimpy started this thread in 2008. I get tired of "educating" these so called magicians who don't know basic terms.

I'm 87. I'm considering canceling my "membership" (for want of a better term). I have better things to do!

It's apparent that YOU have read one of my posts before. I hope that you've benefited.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
103 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
It could be a prop! (e.g.; a silk, or a set of "xxxing" balls, or a deck of gaffed cards or even an Okito Box! (Those are not gimmicks. A gimmick is an unseen device", needed to perform a trick. Yea, you are basically correct.

I get very impatient with "magicians" (note " " !) who don't know basic nomenclature, and, don't bother to learn.

I learned those terms, when I was 14.

Gimpy started this thread in 2008. I get tired of "educating" these so called magicians who don't know basic terms.

I'm 87. I'm considering canceling my "membership" (for want of a better term). I have better things to do!

It's apparent that YOU have read one of my posts before. I hope that you've benefited.


Ah yes, props. Thanks for responding. I try to soak in your wisdom when I see it!

I truly hope that you wouldn't "cancel your membership" on account of "wanna-be" magicians like me. Your advice on this board is invaluable. We just need more appreciative souls for all that you have and continue to contribute to the community.

If I can ever return the favor, please let me know. Specifically, I work in computers and technology. If you ever need anything, I'm your guy.

Thanks for all you do.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You are most welcome!

It IS exasperating to read some of these posts when it is obvious that the guy hasn't read the entire thread, and, complains, when someone else tries to clarify a point, or expression which is either wrong, or unclear. (Especially when the OP, or someone else commenting, doesn't know what he is talking about. )

You appear to be serious about learning! It's a pleasure to correspond with someone like you.

When Jon Racherbaumer insisted that I write a book, I bought a lap top "infernal electrisch peckenclacker". It sat on my desk top for several weeks before I opened the lid! I was born "too soon" (1931) and definitely not a computer maven!!! In the Navy (1951-1955) I could type about 99 words a minute. Now, at 87. I'm lucky to do 15! (The mind is working fine, but the fingers don't cooperate!

With your "encouragement", I'll endeavor to "hang in there", at least for awhile!

I, fortunately, had several great mentors, when I was a Johnny come lately. They insisted that I read, no, STUDY, knowledgeable, qualified authors. It "paid off". I was able to develop a show that could play almost anywhere, for almost any group. I was never at liberty, in almost 50 years.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote: In the Navy (1951-1955) I could type about 99 words a minute. Now, at 87. I'm lucky to do 15! (The mind is working fine, but the fingers don't cooperate!



You may be interested in Dragon Speak software. It will type what you say and adjust to your voice inclinations. I bought it for my Dad years ago and he had no experience with computers prior.

https://www.nuance.com/dragon.html
Image
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
127 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
When can we get back on to the original topic?
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
103 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2019, Cleverpaws wrote:
When can we get back on to the original topic?


I feel like you may need to clarify your earlier question, per Mr. Oslund's posts.

That aside, is there some sort of patent involved that may be owned by someone?
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
127 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2019, Cleverpaws wrote:
When can we get back on to the original topic?


I feel like you may need to clarify your earlier question, per Mr. Oslund's posts.

The above reply is why people should just respond with useful information to the original question, instead of going off topic.

I've replaced the OP's original incorrect words (according to Mr. Oslund) with the correct word in "CAPITAL LETTERS" so that perhaps we can get back to the original query.

Those who would like to get into the technicality of word usage, could start their own thread...

Quote:
On Oct 8, 2008, gimpy2 wrote:
I just can't seem to find out what the rules are when you are trying to produce magic (PROP or ILLUSION). Is there an agreed on list of do's and don't's?

Is there a time limit that someone holds exclusive rights on certain (PROP or ILLUSION), or is it forever?

How do you go about owning the rights to an (PROP or ILLUSION) ? Do you sign up somewhere?

How much different does a (PROP or ILLUSION) have to be from something else out there to be new?

I understand that it would be wrong to say... make a tape measure that you would be able to predict a random measurement, but can you improve say...a duck bucket?

Thanks for any help, Gimpy
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
103 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2019, Cleverpaws wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2019, Cleverpaws wrote:
When can we get back on to the original topic?


I feel like you may need to clarify your earlier question, per Mr. Oslund's posts.

The above reply is why people should just respond with useful information to the original question, instead of going off topic.

I've replaced the OP's original incorrect words (according to Mr. Oslund) with the correct word in "CAPITAL LETTERS" so that perhaps we can get back to the original query.

Those who would like to get into the technicality of word usage, could start their own thread...

Quote:
On Oct 8, 2008, gimpy2 wrote:
I just can't seem to find out what the rules are when you are trying to produce magic (PROP or ILLUSION). Is there an agreed on list of do's and don't's?

Is there a time limit that someone holds exclusive rights on certain (PROP or ILLUSION), or is it forever?

How do you go about owning the rights to an (PROP or ILLUSION) ? Do you sign up somewhere?

How much different does a (PROP or ILLUSION) have to be from something else out there to be new?

I understand that it would be wrong to say... make a tape measure that you would be able to predict a random measurement, but can you improve say...a duck bucket?

Thanks for any help, Gimpy


Here's an interesting article. Would be interesting to know what an attorney says.

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/the-tricky......c-trick/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Just what are the rules? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL