The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Close Up Mat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The rolls are 60 inches (5 feet) wide. The price on the second site is $12.50 a yard as opposed to $14.00 a yard at the first site.

So, you get 15 square feet for $12.50. If your pad is 12 inches by 18 inches, which is a fairly normal size, then that boils down to 1.5 feet per mat. You could get 10 mats from a yard of this fabric. So each mat would cost you $1.25.

That's not a bad deal. However, there is a small caveat. The best way to cut this stuff is with a rotary cutter. So you would need a rotary cutter, a long metal straightedge and a cutting surface. The initial investment would be about $75.00 plus the cost of the fabric. However, you only need to purchase the straightedge and the rotary cutter one time. Same is true for the cutting surface.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Dean Dill also provide very nice mat and large as well

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
My always incontrolable imagination got spinning with this Velcro mat concept.
What can we use it for in terms of effects:
Comical: the balls in the C&Bs must be torn off from the mat with a tearing off noise (a good potential misdirection)
Magical: an accessory could be temporarily added to the mat: a wandering hole for the coins through the table?...
What about using Velcro for the underside of the mat and use it to attach things with velcro strips in the line of the mat I described in another post in this thread...
Any silly ideas about it on this thread?...

Could we brainstorm a bit bout the possibilities offered.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Matt Schulien?
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
The best mat in my opinion is one by a gentleman named Pattrick Przysiecki. He made me my custom mat. Those of you who have seen some of my videos in the past years might recognize it. It is the large green mat that I used in almost all my vids. I have used a great variety of mats for many years....Patrick's mats was the one that stayed in shape the longest. I got an email from him recently. He will make those excellent mats again soon.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 07:46, Lawrence O wrote:
My always incontrolable imagination got spinning with this Velcro mat concept.
What can we use it for in terms of effects:
Comical: the balls in the C&Bs must be torn off from the mat with a tearing off noise (a good potential misdirection)
Magical: an accessory could be temporarily added to the mat: a wandering hole for the coins through the table?...
What about using Velcro for the underside of the mat and use it to attach things with velcro strips in the line of the mat I described in another post in this thread...
Any silly ideas about it on this thread?...

Could we brainstorm a bit bout the possibilities offered.

I'll have to see if a tennis ball will adhere to hook velcro.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
As I read the site you came up with , Bill, the Veltex is the "cloth" side that is meant to adhere to the hook velcro. That would mean that your props have to be set up with hook velcro on them. That seems doable for some effects, but not realistic for, for example, Lawrence's cups and balls idea.

I'm just posting this because from your initial post, people could get the impression that they are buying a sheet of the hook velcro side, and fuzzy things would stick to it just because they are fuzzy.

Bill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I realize this. Laurence's idea would be done with hook velcro. I don't want to go into more detail than this, because it would be too educational for the gadje.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Bil,

What exactly is a "Rotary Cutter"? Sometimes - just sometimes, you Johnny foreigners Smile have different names for things than we have in Europe.. And I'm not that tool savvy (Hey! where did THAT word come from?) anyway..

:)

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
[quote]On 2008-11-01 19:51, deadcatbounce wrote:

What exactly is a "Rotary Cutter"?

A rotary cutter looks a lot like a pizza cutter but is very sharp and cuts through thicker fabrics and leather with ease.

Hope this helps,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 19:51, deadcatbounce wrote:
Bil,

What exactly is a "Rotary Cutter"? Sometimes - just sometimes, you Johnny foreigners Smile have different names for things than we have in Europe.. And I'm not that tool savvy (Hey! where did THAT word come from?) anyway..

:)

Regards,

DCB

Do a search on Google. I checked on google.co.uk, and it comes up just fine with photos and everything. The tool has the same name in the UK as in the US. Don't blame foreigners for using words that are the same in your version of the language. Smile

It is very much like a pizza cutter. You place your straightedge on the fabric you are cutting and drag the cutter along it. It makes a very clean cut -- much better and safer than a utility knife.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Bill,

My apologies. I'd looked in one of our biggest mail order catalogues, in the tool section, and couldn't find "rotary cutter", as I assumed it was a "mans' tool". Now, of course, I understand. We do, in fact, have one in the house - for fabric cutting.
I'd be interested in trying some of this stuff out, but unfortunately, shipping to the UK or Ireland could be tricky.
I'll call them tomorrow and ask if they have a ditributor in Europe.

Tks

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Close Up Mat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL