The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
twiztedmusky
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of twiztedmusky
I was wondering do people like to use there D lifts or the pass mostly?
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
there are many, many different sleights that can be used, I don't use the pass in my routine. PM if you want mine.
johnathanblades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of johnathanblades
I never pass.
MyTurnPlzAA
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
288 Posts

Profile of MyTurnPlzAA
I never pass...

Snap Double for me when doing this effect..

Regards

James
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Not many use a pass for this routine, but I have seen it used to conclude the routine wherein a selection rises face up to the top of the deck.There is no doubt the DL forms the backbone of most performers' routines.

"The Pop Up Card" from the "The Ambitious Card" chapter in "Expert Card Technique" is another way of showing the selection visibly rise to the top of the deck. It is mentioned in the introduction to that chapter that "The Ambitious Card" effect originated with the French magician Alberti.

Paul.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1557 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I don't pass either Smile
Ivan Hamaric
View Profile
New user
Croatia
94 Posts

Profile of Ivan Hamaric
I'm not the first one to say something along these lines, but still: Using a pass in an ambitious card routine is like using a hammer to kill a fly.

twiztedmusky, did you by any chance learn the Ambitious Card routine from one of the Ellusionist's videos? Just curious.
"Doubtless the pleasure is as great
Of being cheated, as to cheat..."

Samuel "Hudibras" Butler (1612-1680)
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
lol.....

Using a pass, can be good for an AC routine, used once or so...

My routine usually goes like this: Tilt w/2 cards, TL, have them cut the deck and put it back, then turn it over, a face up turnover pass (with patter that when it's face up, the deck needs to be face down or it would rise to the bottom...), and then finish with the all-mighty pop-up move.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
I learnt the AC from Daryl, therefore I seldom use pass. Daryl has many moves that is safer to use, I prefer to use them.

Hirase
In love with magic!
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Harvey Rosenthals bottom multiple lift (close up sampler) is a brilliant way to begin.

Colour changes always go down very well. Erdnase, shapeshifter, etc.

Impossible penetrations are good too, like placing the card under your foot and then showing it return to the top of the deck. The wonders of double sided sticky tape Smile

The riffle pass can be a good way to end using a face up card but I prefer not to do that as it could tip what you're doing the next time you use the riffle pass. Using a control as a colour change isn't always the best of ideas

--Euan
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I use a turnover pass and a top card cover pass in my ambitious routine. I think you should use whatever sleight is best suited to the needs of the present effect. I wouldn't avoid the pass simply because it's considered difficult.

When I first do the pass, it is because I am bringing 4 cards to the top. A side steal would not be effective in this case. And with the top card cover pass, it is meant to bring the card face up second from the top. The top card cover pass is probably one of the best ways to secretly accomplish this. Sure I could do a double undercut, but that is much too open.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2273 Posts

Profile of Logan
I do the Hermann pass just to show it rises face up - I blur the movement of the pass by suddenly jolting my hands upwards, saying that since the card is face up, it is in a way 'against the current' of the other face down cards, and thus needs some push - goes down very well...the effect I mean Smile

I like to end with the card in mouth - GREAT gag as well as surprise as that's when the routine ends and they're watching my hands like a hawk! All the misdirection is there already! Smile

Of course...after that, they'll be saying, "Alright, everyone! Watch his mouth this time!" Smile

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
volant
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
59 Posts

Profile of volant
I use a bluff pass, a TL, a DL, and some other moves for my AC routine.
By the time you read this, you've already read it.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2003-04-16 07:23, HiraseMagic wrote:
I learnt the AC from Daryl, therefore I seldom use pass. Daryl has many moves that is safer to use, I prefer to use them.

Hirase

It may be safer to say Daryl "shows" or "teaches" many moves for use with the Ambitious Card, the moves originating from a variety of sources.

Apart from the chapter in ECT there is a nice version described in Bruce Elliot's "Classic Secrets of Magic", the latter part of that routine belonging to Dai Vernon.

Paul.
chrisis1
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
70 Posts

Profile of chrisis1
Using a pass for an ambitious card routine is, in my opinion, something that kills the impact of the effect. When you do a pass you do something with the deck. Or, if you're very good in doing the pass, people still see that you give yourself the time to do something with the deck. But in a good ambitious card routine you show that you don't have any possible way to mess with the deck. That's why a pass doesn't work out in the ambitious card routine (although I do use a Herman pass to start with to bring the card third from top (like Darwin Ortiz in his routine in Scams and fantasies)).
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I don't think that it is worth the trouble to bring it to the top using the pass when it is face down. But if you do a pass after the card is in face up, it's really visual, you can't get do it that well without that pass.
Ivan Hamaric
View Profile
New user
Croatia
94 Posts

Profile of Ivan Hamaric
Redstreak, don't be so sure. I have a sequence where the card is put face down in the deck (legitimately!), and it jumps to the top face up, using only one hand (it follows, reasonably, that it is possible to insert the card face up and have it jump to the top face up, as well). And I definitely don't do the pass, because there are more elegant sleights out there.
"Doubtless the pleasure is as great
Of being cheated, as to cheat..."

Samuel "Hudibras" Butler (1612-1680)
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I like doing passes, but the AC routine doesn't seem to be a good time.

Recently I learnt one very visual AC routine from a Japanese magician, he told me it's invented by a Japanese magician (not himself). It's cool!

I think even though DL is the basic move to create AC effect, the routine is the more important. Try to create a routine first! ^_^

And I love your idea Euan! But you may need to do a shoe switch to clean up? Smile

Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of levitate
Dai Vernon's rising sun is a very convincing move I just started using. Tilts and Dls make up the foundation of my routine, but I do a few passes with the card face up (herman/turnover and shadow). I see nothing wrong with using a pass in ambitious, but there are certain cases when its not approprite. What is your (plural) opinon on using side steals and lateral palm shifts? I learned the side steal and got busted using it almost every time in the context of ambitious. Even when I mimed the actions of one, simply squaring the cards I was accused of palming a card to the top. Im just wondering if you all have experienced this problem.

Michael http://tazzydnc./tripod.com
twiztedmusky
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of twiztedmusky
No i have Darlys Ambitious card DVD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL