The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Written Elevator Pitch (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 17:18, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I think it's great to be able to tell others about what you do.

However, sometimes it's even better to spend much more time on them, and getting to know them. Become genuinely interested in them. Let them do most of the talking... you just ask questions.

- Donald

Donald, I think you misunderstand the ides of an elevator speech. It's a QUICK (less than 30 seconds) statement that attracts a potential customer into asking for your card and then calling you for more information. You're in an elevator and don't have time to get to know a person you want them to remember you and call to ask questions.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Let's ignore the whole 'elevator pitch' title and go back to the original challenge.

Sell yourself and your product in 75 written words or less. I.e give me a paragraph or two that tells me who you are and why I'm going to hire you.

MINE
Nicholas J. Johnson is a comedian who uses sleight of hand, card sharking, pick pocketing and psychological influence to recreate the world of the professional con artist. He is also very, very funny.

Whether mingling with 20 guests at a private party or performing his comedy con show for 500 guests at a major corporate function, this con man will break the ice, have audiences in stitches and make your event remembered for years to come.

PADDY
"Do you like to spend good money on a trade or consumer show booth and just watch the people walk by? If so I can't help you. But if you want to stop and draw in potential customers so your sales staff can work with them, I'm Peter "Professor Paddy" Lansing a top Trade show entertainer.

LELAND
"I make everyday worries disappear...temporarily...using the Art of Magic to create wonder, amazement, and FUN!"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 23:53, Paddy wrote:
Donald, I think you misunderstand the ides of an elevator speech. It's a QUICK (less than 30 seconds) statement that attracts a potential customer into asking for your card and then calling you for more information. You're in an elevator and don't have time to get to know a person you want them to remember you and call to ask questions.

Paddy

Hi Paddy -

Yes, I understand the concept of a 30 second elevator speech. I was just suggesting the idea, that if I had 30 seconds, and they had 30 seconds, that instead I might choose to opt for 15 seconds, and encourage them to talk for 45 seconds.

- Donald

P.S. Here's another one for you, Nick:

Hi, I'm Donald Dunphy. Do you know how some people hire a professional entertainer to help make their event more fun, exciting, and memorable? That's what I do. Some of the customers I serve with my clean, family-style shows include festivals & events, Christmas parties, schools, churches, children's birthdays, and more.

(Note - I might not even tell them up front that I'm a magician. I let them ask that question.)
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is one that we have used:

"The Magical illusions of Kyle and Kelly are a husband and wife team that specialize in family-friendly magic and illusion shows that make your event unforgettable, successful and fun, guaranteed. Their clean, family-style approach will leave your guests thanking YOU for a great time. You will be thanking THEM for the powerful solutions they provide to your entertainment needs."

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Guys,,,,

Some of those speeches are soooooo scripted... Sounds like a telemarketer.....
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Curtis. That may be the case to a degree, but my bottom line is that they are working for me and working very well. I track all my marketing and can see what works and what does not and make changes accordingly. I have changed this a lot over the years and tweaked it, but this gets me results and gets suspects and prospects interested and talking. It gets them wanting more information. It certainly may not work for you or for anyone else as we are all different. But, it works for my wife and I and we can see the results from it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Yes it's scripted, but the idea is to say it so many times that it comes out naturally.
The idea is to intrigue the listener and get a conversation started. I have a brief three word pitch as well as a follow up. The first intrigues, the second clarifies.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Curtis - where is your pitch?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 11:09, Donald Dunphy wrote:

P.S. Here's another one for you, Nick:

Hi, I'm Donald Dunphy. Do you know how some people hire a professional entertainer to help make their event more fun, exciting, and memorable? That's what I do. Some of the customers I serve with my clean, family-style shows include festivals & events, Christmas parties, schools, churches, children's birthdays, and more.

(Note - I might not even tell them up front that I'm a magician. I let them ask that question.)

That's my favourite so far!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Nicholas I posted it in a previous post...

When I am asked, I simply say I get chained up for a living...
This gets their attention 100% of the time. Then I go into an engaging casual conversation that leads into greater detail....

When I use this line when I am with event planners in Las Vegas they love it and give me their time... SINCE I AM NOT ANOTHER MAGICIAN... WINK

Nicholas, if I was you... I would just say, I am a professional con-man and what do you do?
Then go into that you a pro at conning people and you demo this for corporate and social functions...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anything is good as long as its unique, creative but most importantly, how you can benefit the client.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 20:02, magicofCurtis wrote:
When I am at events or out and about when people ask me what I do for a living, I simply say with a boyish grin.... I get chained up ---
THIS WINS them over IMMEDIATELY....
They reply usually with:
what?
HU?
YOU DO? (and moves in closer for more details -

I reply back, Yes, I get chained up for a living. I am an escape artist and I perform show for corporate and social functions... Kinda like Houdini ......

THIS IS A WINNER for me every time....

Hi Curtis -

Here's something I've been wondering.

Because this has the possibility of being taken initially as a sexual innuendo, do you find a different response from men vs. women, or liberal-minded people vs. conservative-minded people?

Do you simply see this as a little naughty, until you clarify what you are actually saying? Do they always see it the same way?

- Donald
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Donald,

I am able to pull this off... It seems naughty on the good level and intriguing at the same time.
I have the boyish looks and personality to pull this off...
I get all type of positive responses.... One would be surprised how effective this is....
It works well with conservative people well too, since their mind is not trained to go in that direction (naughty)....
The groups I run in, they are always looking for something different and this delivers it to them!

I even have stood up at networking groups and chamber meetings with this statement....
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Curtis -

Thanks for letting us know.

It's a little mischievous. That's why I was wondering if it ever got you into trouble.

- Donald
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
OHH trouble can be fun at times. But, it is all how one can pull it off...

If I am in a group and I use that line they start to laugh and I look at one person and I say what were you thinking? HMM come home with me wink....

IF I am going after a wedding I would say I make people disappear... Sometime I will walk away and come back to these one liners.... Smile
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Good for you! Smile

- Donald
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Here's mine:

"I read minds for a living, and entertain people at the same time. And at a wide variety of events and locations..."

This allows me to be as vague as I need be about the where-and-when until I get a chance to talk with them. And, the first thinkg out of their mouths is usually (87%) "OH? What am I thinking?", which gives me an opportunity to demo something quick, and reinforce both the ability and the fun they'll have!

Lee
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 12:23, magicofCurtis wrote:
Guys,,,,

Some of those speeches are soooooo scripted... Sounds like a telemarketer.....

DITTO!

I have noticed that if someone offers constructive criticisms on this forum it always becomes an insecurity contest, you show me yours, battle of sorts. I am not sure I understand this.

You don't have to be a filmmaker to say a movie you just saw sucked.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2008, magic4u02 wrote:
..."The Magical illusions of Kyle and Kelly are a husband and wife team that specialize in.... Their clean, family-style approach...You will be thanking THEM for the powerful solutions they provide to your entertainment needs."
Kyle

This is a fantastic elevator pitch, except it is all in the third person.
It would make sense as ad copy on a website or business card,
but when you're in an elevator with someone and they ask "What do you do?"
(obviously this is figurative) I would feel weird about saying, "He does this.. and you'll be thanking HIM for the powerful solutions he provides..."
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I see a couple mentions of "we provide solutions."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "providing solutions" relevant if you're selling a plunger for the customer's toilet?
But not when we're providing entertainment.

I can understand where this idea came from--maybe the info marketers who provide solutions to PROBLEMS.
After all, a solution suggests that there is a problem.

For example, I might be persuaded by an advertisement that promises to increase my bookings.
This is providing a solution to my "problem of too-few-bookings."

I have read the elevator pitches in this thread. I LIKE THEM ALL.

But only one addresses the "problem/solution" thing. That is Paddy's:

"Do you like to spend good money on a trade or consumer show booth AND JUST WATCH THE PEOPLE WALK BY?
If so I can't help you.
But if you want to stop and draw in potential customers
so your sales staff can work with them,
I'm Peter "Professor Paddy" Lansing-- a top trade show entertainer."

Okay, now I'm thinking more.
Maybe magicians do solve problems--guests twiddling their thumbs at a party, guests seated and bored looking at their smart phones, guests leaving early, two soul mates who never started chatting because there was no magician to bring them together...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Written Elevator Pitch (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL