The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your Worst Fear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quayle was the best life insurance policy that Bush Sr. had; much like the words "President Cheney" strike fear into the hearts of everyone. I'd say that Palin was nominated for a similiar reason, but it doesn't work when voters are looking at electing someone who would have been the oldest POTUS nominated to the position.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 15:02, Kevvy wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 11:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 11:08, Kevvy wrote:


...But Quayle's performance as VP indicated he was no Jack Kennedy.


What did Quayle do as Vice President that you found problematic?


Although Vice Presidents are limited in their formal responsibilities, (Dick Cheney may be the exception) Quayle was widely ridiculed in both the USA and overseas as incompetent.

Like Bush & Palin, (I've heard Palin referred to as "Quaylin") Quayle had a tendency to make public statements which were either self-contradictory, logically redundant, or painfully confused and inappropriate.

The general perception of Quayle as a joke was somewhat problematic for Bush Sr.

When Bush ran for reelection in 1992, some republicans urged the president to dump Quayle from the ticket. Public opinion polls showed him to be the least popular vice president in forty years, scoring even lower than Spiro Agnew. However, Bush and his staff concluded that changing running mates would be a sign of panic and would serve as an admission that his original choice had been a mistake.



Oh, sorry...I misunderstood the line "Quayle's performance as VP" to mean something about his performance as VP.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nobody could really be another Jack Kennedy, but I suppose if someone wanted to try, he'd have to dramatically cut tax rates for the rich, invade a small country that most people believe pose no threat to the United States, dramatically increase our military presence overseas...hey, wait a sec.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
LMAO, touche Counselor!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
MICK! How you been, man?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 16:22, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Nobody could really be another Jack Kennedy, but I suppose if someone wanted to try, he'd have to dramatically cut tax rates for the rich, invade a small country that most people believe pose no threat to the United States, dramatically increase our military presence overseas...hey, wait a sec.


Haha! I knew there was still an inkling of a reason that I hadn't killfiled you yet, Mr. LobowolfXXX.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:

Oh, sorry...I misunderstood the line "Quayle's performance as VP" to mean something about his performance as VP.


No, what you misunderstood was the fact that you asked "What did Quayle do as Vice President that you found problematic?"

And I answered your question. What Quayle did was serve as an embarrassment for Bush Sr. That is what I found problematic.

The Constitution assigns no executive powers to the vice president, in performing such duties he or she acts only as an agent of the president.

That includes speaking for this country, which IS a major part of his performance as VP. The way he spoke and the things he said when being grilled on policy was part of his performance. It was also a reflection of his intelligence.

The irregular heartbeat that President Bush experienced in 1991 literally meant that Quayle was a heartbeat way from the presidency. And people felt he was ill-equipped for the job.
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 16:57, gaddy wrote:

Haha! I knew there was still an inkling of a reason that I hadn't killfiled you yet, Mr. LobowolfXXX.


Actually, I usually agree with LobowolfXXX. LOL
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 17:10, Kevvy wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 16:57, gaddy wrote:

Haha! I knew there was still an inkling of a reason that I hadn't killfiled you yet, Mr. LobowolfXXX.


Actually, I usually agree with LobowolfXXX. LOL


I'm sure you're not alone, Mr. Kevvy...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
While Quayle wasn't a brilliant orator, his propensity for misstatements was exaggerated (read: often fabricated). I still know people who claim to have heard firsthand the one about being sorry that he didn't speak Latin when in Latin America (which he didn't say). I don't think he came up with anything as juicy as "I am a jelly donut," however (though to be fair, Kennedy made that little slip while speaking a foreign language). I'm sure if it had been Quayle, though, it would have gone down as one of the stupidest things ever said, not one of the most brilliant.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/quayle.asp
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Gaddy...it's the fact that you appreciate so few of my posts that makes those few so much sweeter!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 16:22, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Nobody could really be another Jack Kennedy, but I suppose if someone wanted to try, he'd have to dramatically cut tax rates for the rich, invade a small country that most people believe pose no threat to the United States, dramatically increase our military presence overseas...hey, wait a sec.


Given Kennedy's faults, there is no way Bush, Quayle or Palin are in the same class as him. If any of those three were at the helm during the Cuban Missle Crisis, we would have probably had WW3 on our hands. I don't agree with everything Kennedy, Reagan, or Clinton did. But they are much better than what we had the past eight years. Bush Sr. was a decent president. Unfortunately, the George W. Bush administration is one of the worst in American history.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
On 2008-11-06 23:54, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
You won't feel that way when Carrie Sue and Payne announce their engagement.

The offspring of such a union... now that's my biggest fear!
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Worst fear? Old age. Losing my, um, "powers."
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-11-06 14:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 06:13, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 03:51, gaddy wrote:
I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.

You must be terrified then


I'd love to see someone (preferably Michael Moore, but anyone would do, really) suggest to a concentration camp survivor that early 21st century America bears (bore) as much as a moderate resemblance to Nazi Germany. Bring a first aid kit, if you do.


Whenever you wish to use the word nazi, could you please drop the capital "n". It has been ruled by an international court, lead by American judges that they had lost the right to any respect and are just a "criminal organization" and being a member is sufficient to make one a criminal (1949 ruling: proceedings reported in the "Green Books")... So please no capital "n". The ruling made it clear that there is no possible prescription to this condamnation.

Being the son of a survivor, I think that it's almost an insult to the former concentration camps inmates to use this hugly word for things that are not coming even far to (let alone close to) the horror level it attempts in good faith to reject.

Thanks
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Every post I have read from Lawrence I have ever read made me stop and think. Maybe its cause I am slow, or because he writes so well and composes his thoughts so completely with no wasted words.


Kevin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 15:04, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-06 14:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 06:13, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 03:51, gaddy wrote:
I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.

You must be terrified then


I'd love to see someone (preferably Michael Moore, but anyone would do, really) suggest to a concentration camp survivor that early 21st century America bears (bore) as much as a moderate resemblance to Nazi Germany. Bring a first aid kit, if you do.


Whenever you wish to use the word nazi, could you please drop the capital "n". It has been ruled by an international court, lead by American judges that they had lost the right to any respect and are just a "criminal organization" and being a member is sufficient to make one a criminal (1949 ruling: proceedings reported in the "Green Books")... So please no capital "n". The ruling made it clear that there is no possible prescription to this condamnation.

Being the son of a survivor, I think that it's almost an insult to the former concentration camps inmates to use this hugly word for things that are not coming even far to (let alone close to) the horror level it attempts in good faith to reject.

Thanks


OK, no problem. No big "n". I can live with that. The idea still scares me though, because I see liberty disappearing at an alarming rate --with every single passing law it seems --in America today... Not a comparison, but merely an observation, and a reoccurring fear of mine.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I suppose I could also say that my fear is that in four years I won't even recognize my beloved country, and not in a good way. I can't help but think "What will there be left for my grandchildren?"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 15:59, daffydoug wrote:
I suppose I could also say that my fear is that in four years I won't even recognize my beloved country, and not in a good way. I can't help but think "What will there be left for my grandchildren?"


well after EIGHT years I hardly recognize MY own country. So, at least I can understand how you feel...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
NINJAS!




Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your Worst Fear (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL